Daughters had a prang. What would you do. ?

Fisherman Mike

Do the full monty under insurance.

Get down to A&E immediately so the whiplash claim stands up and then book the summer holiday - it's paid for!

You may find it hard to believe but not everyone is dishonest and on the make some of us still have some self respect.

a while ago I was asked to drive a transit mine bus not having driven one before I forgot quite how long it was and and before I got out of the car park the rear bumper clipped the back bumper of a brand new car all it did was put some scratches on its bumper I was later told that it cost over £1.000 and all for a bloody scratch.

You may find it hard to believe but not everyone is dishonest and on the make some of us still have some self respect.

a while ago I was asked to drive a transit mine bus not having driven one before I forgot quite how long it was and and before I got out of the car park the rear bumper clipped the back bumper of a brand new car all it did was put some scratches on its bumper I was later told that it cost over £1.000 and all for a bloody scratch.

I find a couple of week's free holiday tops up my self respect AND my tan.

He ho, each to their own.

Doing it privately is always an easier albeit risky option, but now that the process is already started perhaps you can not go private? See if your insurance company would allow that, it would save them the hassle too, if its a yeah then go for it, if its a no then worry not, as long as your insurance company can get the full amount of the lads insurance, your daughters no claims may not even be effected, and it gives you and your daughter less headache too. However it turns out I hope your daughters OK and gets back to normal soon mate.

My daughter had a minor and I mean very minor bump when she was in standing traffic and nudged the car in front,which caused a very small scratch to the bumper of a very old car.

She agreed to settle privately and we sent the woman to the local bodyshop,she came back with a bill for £800 (think she had a full re-spray) anyway we paid her in cash and thought the incident was closed.

Three weeks later a letter fell on the mat from the womans solicitor,whiplash claim,after taking the money she still ****ed us over,so be carefull we all protect our kids and try and do the decent/honest thing but some folk aint decent/honest :no: lesson learnt on that day :yes: BB

Having been involved in a similar incident, once it all goes through the insurance company, the young lad can reimburse the insurance company for their losses. Granted the cost will be more than if the whole thing had been sorted privatly, but if he covers losses, it will be recorded as 'no loss claim'. This impacts future premiums much less.

Not read all the replies (sorry) but unless its been said, sorry again, but I think you will find it's tool late as soon as you rang your insurance it's a accident. Wife had some one back into her. totally their fault admitted it, so she came home rang insurance then woman changes her mind so we call insurance and say we will have to pay only minor scuff, to save insurance claim they said fine but still logged that she has had accident. Lucky protected no claims.

It's amazing how quickly contrition vanishes once the spectre of the insurance company is removed from the equation. I realize they are now involved in this instance so would let the claim follow due process, it's a hard lesson for the young lad to learn but learn he will, could have been so much worse !

It's amazing how quickly contrition vanishes once the spectre of the insurance company is removed from the equation. I realize they are now involved in this instance so would let the claim follow due process, it's a hard lesson for the young lad to learn but learn he will, could have been so much worse !

Agreed.... the delay between my Daughter stopping at the pedestrian and him hitting her stationary car was significant...she actually saw him approach from a distance and braced herself for the impact...

I think it was genuine driver error and he must have been distracted by something.

She does have a stiff neck and back but she wont hear of entertaining or recording any sort of PI claim she sees that as being dishonest for something so trivial.

The lads Father spoke with her earlier and thanked her for her compassion and the way she dealt with the accident, apparently the young driver was in pieces when he got home, and needs his car as he's just started an apprenticeship.

A lesson in life and a hard one perhaps but hopefully it will make him a better driver.

Its in the hands of the insurance companies.

Another vote for keeping it official, I had an experience similar to Cranfield's above and it went the insurance route in the end (they paid up and full red carpet treatment with hire cars etc) all assisted by my own insurers but paid for by theirs.

Bit of a feeding frenzy but when you're on the right end of it it's quite nice ;)

Tell you what Mike I follow a lot of your posts as your in the same game as me (construction) and find them very interesting.

But one thing I have noticed is you and your family must be very decent honest people. And it's nice to see.

End of the day it's a bump in a couple of weeks it will be sorted and forgotten about.

Most bumps are not forgotten quiet as easy.

All the best to your daughter

Jamie

Edited by chady

Agreed.... the delay between my Daughter stopping at the pedestrian and him hitting her stationary car was significant...she actually saw him approach from a distance and braced herself for the impact...

He needs it drilled into him that he should be paying attention, not watching skirt at the side of the road etc...

I'd suggest he thinks about an advanced driving course.

Nial.