Daughters had a prang. What would you do. ?

Fisherman Mike

Daughter had another accident this morning again totally without fault. She stopped at a pedestrian crossing to allow some pedestrians to cross and a young lad following behind didn’t

and ploughed into the back of her.

She has notified the insurance company (as she must do) who have kicked into action with a hire car, and collection and will pursue the other parties insurance cover. There is no question at all that he is not at fault and its probably on CCTV as well as it’s a busy road and a prominent location.

Poor chap was a young driver and quite shook up. Daughter said he must have been asleep because when she pulled up at the crossing he was a distance away and it’s not like she pulled up promptly.

Question is, is she within her rights to offer him a private settlement thus avoiding shelling out the excess ( which we would get back anyway ) or does the insurance company retain the overall jurisdiction.

I think she feels a bit sorry for the lad as he was not one of these boy racer types and was on his way to Uni, and having been involved in a similar situation a few years ago (again not her fault) knows that his insurance company will probably crucify him.

A Dealer friend in the trade can get her bumper replaced for less than the cost of her excess and provide her with one of his cars short term for nowt.

What would you do…offer him a compromise or leave it with the insurance company. ?

Me, I would get a price for repair and get him to pay it.

Everyone else in the world would claim whiplash for the driver and three other non existant passengers as far as I can make out from the internet.

(apart from your daughter)

Edited by 39TDS

It's nice to be nice ... just make sure your covered.

My parents did similar with someone before when a woman hit them whilst parked, she took a corner hugely wide and smashed then as going past.

They said they would just get it fixed and send them the cost. When the work was done they phoned up to say it was £300 quid odd and the woman's husband started demanding statements and bills and all sorts of stuff as if they were ripping him off.

They said not to worry pal they'd just contact the insurance and get them to collect. The man seemed very worried about this and phoned back trying to pay. Makes up think there was something dodgy about the woman driving but atleast he paid up!

I think by the insurance company rules you need to report it within 24hrs.

I have done this a couple of times when I have been hit. I was asked if we could settle privately, and replied that as long as I can arrange for my car to be fixed and they didn't mess me about then I would agree to it.

I called the insurance company, explained that the third party wanted to settle privately, but wanted to report it in the event that two weeks down the line the settlement did not happen and I wanted my insurance company to pursue the claim. Bothe times the insurance company made a note on my file and had no issue with this. Settlement was smooth both times.

I have a daughter who is a new driver and another one soon to be, in the event they are at fault, I'd appreciate the gesture if it the tables were reversed!!

People however genuine they sound do seem to have a knack (afterwards) for denying there was even a prang. Knew one guy who had a similar thing, agreed with the guy at fault would pay. Bill goes in what's this says the guy at fault, I know nothing about this.

Turns out his mate had a small accident repair shop, got him to fix his car and just denied everything afterwards. Insurance company every time and hopefully she has no claims protection.

People however genuine they sound do seem to have a knack (afterwards) for denying there was even a prang. Knew one guy who had a similar thing, agreed with the guy at fault would pay. Bill goes in what's this says the guy at fault, I know nothing about this.

Turns out his mate had a small accident repair shop, got him to fix his car and just denied everything afterwards. Insurance company every time and hopefully she has no claims protection.

That's what camera phones are for!!

Both instances in my case I asked to take a photo of the guy by his car with the damage visible. Had they refused the deal was off.

So she has declared an accident to her insurance company but if settled privately the insurance company are not going to acknowledge her innocence ? Maybe they only go on actual "paper" claims but this would concern me.

I think now she needs to complete the wheels put in motion ...... insurance

Do the full monty under insurance.

Get down to A&E immediately so the whiplash claim stands up and then book the summer holiday - it's paid for!

Surely better to say ,if any discomfort is experienced post accident then don't hesitat to get to A&E for personal healh reasons than to appear to encourage dishonest intentions and Fraud I feel.

Surely better to say ,if any discomfort is experienced post accident then don't hesitat to get to A&E for personal healh reasons than to appear to encourage dishonest intentions and Fraud I feel.

Didn't I say that?

And pick up the holiday brochures on the way, killing two birds with one stone.

Who's to say the boy wasnt on his phone texting away...........if he was then he is totally out of order............your daughter has a good heart....if your daughter wasnt infront, he may have mown someone down on the crossing...

I know its sad but i count people on mobiles on my way to work 3miles (7) this morning and that a bad day.

Well looks as though the questions been answered..she's just had a email from the other parties insurers who want to repair the damage, provide a cc and she wont have to dip into her pocket for any excess.

Thanks all the same.

That is quick. I wonder if things are changing on these claims to speed them up and complete them before "injuries" appear. A young relative of mine got a similar bump in the rear on her car whilst carrying her friend and friends mum. The next day the other insurers offered and then paid £1000 to each of the 2 passengers if there was no PI claim!!!! strange world. These settlements were NOT asked for by the passengers nor was any personal injury suggested.

We had someone's car roll into ours in a car park, as she had left the handbrake off.

It did a bit of damage to the bumper. We agreed to get some quotes.

The local independent wanted to fit a whole new bumper, put us in a hire car and go full monty on it.

The local Citroen dealer pronounced the bumper OK and did the job for £250 which the other driver happily paid.

As long as you have the insurance details there's no harm in getting a few quotes to see what the repair cost might be, before having the other driver claim on his insurance. He should in good faith declare the accident in any event on his next renewal.

Now that insurer's are involved with a courtesy car on the way it's probably too late to try and arrange a settlement without them being involved.

Best to let things take their course..?

Cat.

This is what I was thinking. Your Daughter sounds like a nice person though :good:

Leave it with the insurance.

I had a similar experience approaching a roundabout, I had to stop and the young girl behind me didn't.

The damage to my truck was minimal and she was (literally) crying about what her Insurance Company would charge her, etc.

We exchanged details and that evening her father phoned (very well spoken and polite) and offered to sort it out "off insurance".

I had already got an estimate of £150 and told him and he agreed to pay.

I had the work done, all invoiced properly and then spent the next 6 months getting my money back, it had to get very unpleasant before he paid up.

That's what camera phones are for!!

Both instances in my case I asked to take a photo of the guy by his car with the damage visible. Had they refused the deal was off.

Agreed but the instance I cited was way back when mobiles were the size of a brick and did not come with cameras (unfortunately). However 2 years ago put the phone camera to good use us after a bus scraped sons car while pulling into a bus stop too sharply. Settled in two weeks, cheque arrived for the agreed amount which was more than his car was worth.