Mandatory CCTV in slaughterhouses

Laird Lugton

When I worked in a poultry processing plant I can't recall any cases of abuse, nor any CCTV. I can say that the staff were totally indifferent to the animals they processed, but at around 100,000 birds processed a day it is understandable, but even so, I can't recall any incidences of deliberate cruelty or mistreatment.

As I have my fork lift license I went there to work in despatch, which mainly consisted of loading wagons, so wasn't too involved in the slaughter side, although I was able to witness the entire process if I cared to.

On first visiting the canteen I saw people in white overalls which were spattered with, amongst other things, vivid green splashes, and was told this was staining from bursting gall bladders(?), and on visiting the 'delivery' end of the factory I saw how it occurred. The entrails of each bird were dumped on a stainless table, around which stood three or four operatives, who would sort through the guts to separate certain parts (livers for pate etc), and now and then the bladders would burst, which was why each person wore eye protection.

One memory of my stay there consists of a young lass in blue overalls stood inside the conveyor chains with a long bladed knife in her hand. The chickens passed her upside down, suspended by their feet as they passed through a jet of water aimed at their heads which contained an electric current to stun them before then passing through two round blades which slit the throat. Birds would sometimes look at heir feet as they hung there, and if they did it just at the right time, even though stunned, they would miss the blades, in which case she would grab the birds head, pull it down to stretch the neck, and slice the throat with the knife she had in her hand. She had been there for years and had a vacant look in her eyes, which is totally understandable. Bloody awful place to work.

Like I say, six months was enough for me but I wont be signing the petition.

Edited by Scully

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blunderbuss, each of your links are old material - 2013 being the most recent, 2010 the oldest at a quick look.

In the Governments departmental reply;-

The Government encourages the highest standards of welfare at slaughter. Both EU Regulation 1099/2009, on the protection of animals at time of killing, and the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 (WASK), as amended, contain strict requirements to protect the welfare of animals being slaughtered. In slaughterhouses, these requirements are monitored and enforced by Official Veterinarians of the Food Standards Agency to ensure that animals are spared unnecessary suffering, distress or pain during the slaughter process.

Some of the undercover evidence has been gathered in premises which already had CCTV which implies CCTV may not be an effective monitoring tool though it could be helpful as a verification tool for audit purposes after a welfare breach has taken place in a particular slaughterhouse. The Government is not convinced of the need for further legislation at this time but will be keeping the need for CCTV under review in the context of the new monitoring requirements required under Regulation 1099/2009 which came into direct effect in January 2013.

This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

Hence the appeal for further signatures.

C'mon folks - no one wants to see animals suffer but take a look at our own sport. we ambush our prey in one way or another -even to the extent of decoying them with facsimiles of themselves to draw them down; or we scare the living **** out of them by driving them onto guns. We try to dispatch them with one shot-maybe two but that doesn't always work out - so we send dogs out to catch them and bring back to us where we then possibly have to break their necks in one fashion or another to ensure they are dead, but it isn't the first time even after all that I have had a bird or rabbit "come alive" in the boot of the car because I didn't get it right.

Be wary of how you castigate others in their trade/profession and how so few cases cause general disgust. If it wasn't for the fact I enjoy my shooting so much and the by product of the food from that and the working with my dog to recoup the game I might even think of stopping altogether - aye right!

It is worthwhile reading over the response to the petition to get a fuller view of it.

Pushkin :good: B)

Edited by Pushkin