Mandatory CCTV in slaughterhouses

Laird Lugton

A friend forwarded on an e-petition from an Animal Aid campaign in which they want the law changed to have CCTV installed in all slaughterhouses and monitored by an independent welfare body to detect abuses of animals.

A good thing or a bad thing?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/64997

http://www.slaughterhousecctv.org.uk

Edited by Laird Lugton

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a good thing. I can't help but worry though, that it wouldn't give 100% coverage. The low lives who abuse animals in abbatoirs would probably get to know the black spots where they could still do it unseen. It's got to be a step in the right direction though.

I also agree that any form of slaughter which does not stun an animal before it has its throat slit should be banned immediately.

Edited by Blunderbuss

A halal place can give the animals as much luxury as they want but while they're hacking them open whilst alive then why bother.

If Halal is performed correctly then its humane. A university (Canada I think) did a brain receptor test and it showed massve spikes in brain activity during the killing after animals were stunned and less brain spikes after halal.

Things aren't always as they seem, it's best to be open minded.

Some would say heart and lung shots are not humane as the animal sometimes runs a way before collapsing...? - ignorance can make people dislike things without fully understanding them.

I try to be realistic about slaughter, I'm a countryman and I've been around animals long enough to know what happens and I've seen it enough times, including slaughtering my own poultry.

However, the one thing that has really upset me in the past was with a cow that was struggling with a large calf. The vet attended and decided that a caesarean wasn't practical so the cow went for slaughter. The cow died with a live calf still inside her and so that calf had to die as well. I wish now that someone had had the foresight to shoot the cow on the farm and at least try to get the calf out alive. Rules are rules I suppose but that situation seemed so wrong to me.

If Halal is performed correctly then its humane. A university (Canada I think) did a brain receptor test and it showed massve spikes in brain activity during the killing after animals were stunned and less brain spikes after halal A university (Canada I think) did a brain receptor test and it showed massve spikes in brain activity during the killing after animals were stunned and less brain spikes after halal.

Do you not think you would feel pain and distress if someone cut your throat. Anything the makes slaughter as humane as possible is a good thing if motoring slaughterhouses helps then it's worthwhile.

If Halal is performed correctly then its humane

How is it done correctly, compared with incorrectly. ?

Religious slaughter techniques practised by Jews and Muslims are cruel and should be ended, says a scientific assessment from the Government's animal welfare advisers.

The Farm Animal Welfare Council says that slitting the throats of the animals most commonly used for meat, chickens, without stunning, results in "significant pain and distress". The committee, which includes scientific, agricultural and veterinary experts, is calling for the Government to launch a debate with Muslim and Jewish communities to end the practice.

Edited by ordnance

So you put in cctv for an animal rights group to view who think keeping sheep in fields is cruel, let alone killing them for food.

They even want aquariums banned.

You can make everything look bad if put enough spin on it.

What will achieve apart from showing that animals get killed in abbatoirs? Sometimes less known the better.

Don't even mention lung shots in deer....

That's why it needs to be controlled on who views it.

So you put in cctv for an animal rights group to view who think keeping sheep in fields is cruel, let alone killing them for food.

They even want aquariums banned.

You can make everything look bad if put enough spin on it.

What will achieve apart from showing that animals get killed in abbatoirs? Sometimes less known the better.

Don't even mention lung shots in deer....