Metal detectors

Scully

Dabbled with one back in the early '80's, and fancy getting back into it on a much more serious level. I know this topic has been covered in the past, but technology moves on, so thought I'd ask those in the know.

Any advice on good kit, including headsets etc in or around the 500 quid mark, or do I not need to spend that much, or is a good one going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Legislation, governing bodies(do I need to join if there is one etc etc). Where the nearest hoard is, that sort of thing. Your advice and experiences much appreciated.

My dad is quite into this (read obsessed)

He swears by Minelab machines and recommends joining a local club as metal detecting land is as difficult to find as shooting permissions

He also belongs to Weekend Wanderers who set up land across the country - there was one yesterday in fact

If I can help further then let me know

I had an old C-scope when I was a teen...used to target areas where the local fairs had pitched up and stayed for a few weeks. Most I ever found was 14 quid in spilt change.!

Also the local roman roads after ploughing were a good source of treasure.. Found a good few coins and jewellery some of which are now in the Corinium Museum..

Best ever find was an old gold cased early 19th century repeating half hunter pocket watch with chain. It didn't run, but was in remarkably good condition considering it had possibly been laid in the ground for a good few years. I can just visualise it falling out of an obese port swilling squires pocket, as he took a cross country detour to roger the local Milkmaid...as was his right ! :lol:

Your unlikely to get rich ( Unless your very, very lucky )...but its a fascinating outdoor hobby.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Minelabs are ok but heavy,after a few hours you will feel it. Are you just wanting to detect inland or would you like to do the beaches. If you want to do beaches you need a permit, its free but you still need one. If you shoot and have land then there is a good place to start.

What part of the country do you live in. Anything you find does belong to the CROWN but but it more easy for you a single silver or gold is ok to keep, well you will have to give the land owner half

There is some very good detecting forums. One of the best and i will say that because i am a member there. To get to view all tne site there is a fee, but you will get all or most or what you need to know for now for free. I use a xp deus, i think its the best machine out there,

My dad is quite into this (read obsessed)

He swears by Minelab machines and recommends joining a local club as metal detecting land is as difficult to find as shooting permissions

He also belongs to Weekend Wanderers who set up land across the country - there was one yesterday in fact

If I can help further then let me know

Many thanks Luke. Have loads of land to shoot on so will take it from there. No clubs around here as far as I know.

Minelabs are ok but heavy,after a few hours you will feel it. Are you just wanting to detect inland or would you like to do the beaches. If you want to do beaches you need a permit, its free but you still need one. If you shoot and have land then there is a good place to start.

What part of the country do you live in. Anything you find does belong to the CROWN but but it more easy for you a single silver or gold is ok to keep, well you will have to give the land owner half

There is some very good detecting forums. One of the best and i will say that because i am a member there. To get to view all tne site there is a fee, but you will get all or most or what you need to know for now for free. I use a xp deus, i think its the best machine out there,

Many thanks. I live in Cumbria, less than half an hour from where the bronze full face helmet was found at Crosby Garrett.

I won't be doing any beaches; only farmland etc, on which I have permission to shoot.

Will have a look around the forums, cheers.

Many thanks. I live in Cumbria, less than half an hour from where the bronze full face helmet was found at Crosby Garrett.

I won't be doing any beaches; only farmland etc, on which I have permission to shoot.

Will have a look around the forums, cheers.

Make sure you get the Farmer's Permission too, and offer him 50% of the spoils...

Keep him sweet and you wont jeopardise your shooting permissions.

To get back into it I would very much recommend a Teknetics Eurotek Pro.

Very capable machine and in my opinion not far behind the T2 but a lot cheaper.

Get yourself back into it, see if you still want to do it and go from there. If you change your mind or get even heavier into it this machine is very saleable and holds its value well.

If you are determined to spend more money then go for a T2 or a Fisher 75

Minelabs are very good but as already said, they are very heavy after not very long. You might not think it matters but you'll be surprised.

I think top end Minelabs are really good machines once you get to know them but the weight made me sell mine. I'm no weakling either.

The Deus does seem to be the bench mark these days but above your budget. Whatever machine you have it is still down to being out there in the right place. I know plenty of folk that have found more with their Garret 150 (budget detector) than other folk with a Deus will ever find.

Edited by 39TDS

Very interesting scully i was born other side of the pennines langdon beck near middleton in teesdale. It can be a very interesting hobby.

I was never into history at school, but metal detecting gets you that way.

I live near stranraer we did not have much roman visitors up here so not many finds. My best find todate is a 3600 year old bronze age spearhead amazing to still to be solid after all this time, and for me to pick it up all this time later. The feeling is hard to discribe but you feel very honoured. What was the spear used for hunting, or fighting. Also what was he/she doing with it when it was lost.

Its also amazing the things you find that farmers have dropped, there is more junk than good stuff. Old shotgun brass tops give a good signal, like a coin, ring pulls also. You will find loads of lead, but thats a good thing shows there was habitation there.

I would recommend the Teknetics Eurotek Pro as well, some good reviews online.

I have a garrett ace 250 as I`m just a beginner, although it is an excellent bit of kit for the money and they hold their value.

I would go for a makro pointer as well as It will save a lot of time picking through clumps of earth.

Try here for bits of kit, good prices and excellent service.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFIQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metaldetectorshop.co.uk%2Fshopping_cart%2F&ei=5NPUVNSVFYL4aJPCgugE&usg=AFQjCNFVrh6Sq6gNE9chNj6VqMU8-ZkIvw&bvm=bv.85464276,d.d2s

Friend of mine started with a garret! Boy did he find some stuff! Turns out, where he lives had never been detected before! His finds re wrote the history book on the area! Celtic, Roman, Medieval artifacts! Broaches, Coins and even a few cists. One coin was worth a fair few grand! 50:50 with the land owner! Luckily for him, he sold the coin a few month before a HOARD of the same coins were discovered! They were very rare until that point! :lol:

I think he mucked about with Minelab too. Not sure what he uses now!

These people are pretty good. I bought my Fischer FX2 from them a few years back. They seemed pretty knowledgeable. Worst thing you can do is give them a call -

http://www.joanallen.co.uk/

I ought to give mine a bit of an airing really. It's been a while since it saw the light of day, let along tasted the salty tang of the sea air

Cracking forum this. Thanks for all the advice gents. Have had a good look at the Teknetics Eurotek 2 and the Garrett Ace 250. Haven't felt this excited since Susan Caldwell took me behind the curtains at a school dance......I don't get out much. :)

Sorry misread your last paragraph. :lol: