Westley Richards

Brixsmaid

Hi all

I have the opportunity to purchase a Westley Richards boxlock SxS from a retiring gun.

It was built around 1935-1938 and apart from a very professional .75" stock extension (which coincidentally, makes it just right for me!) appears to be in very good condition.

I would very much appreciate members views on owning/shooting a Westley Richards shotgun. I see this as my route into owning/using what I perceive a 'decent' English. Where do Westley Richards come in English makers?

The price seems reasonable, but they seem to range from £500 to £8000 secondhand on GunTrader!

Am I deluded and should I think again or bite his hand off!

Thanks

Westley Richards is one of the oldest surviving traditional English gunmakers. It was founded in 1812 by William Westley Richards. Their inventions included the Anson & Deeley boxlock action and the Droplock, which equals in status James Purdey's self opening and Holland & Holland's removable locks. They were the producers of the Enfield rifles, the British Army standard for many generations.

It still thrives as a family-run business, occupying the purpose-built gunmaking factory built around the turn of last century.

As with all else it will depend on the condition of the barrels . Westley's produced a several different boxlocks some they made and some were bought in from trade makers but retailed under the Westley name ,often for export , so that alone has a big affect on value . Be it their signature top lever or standard Anson and Deeley pattern . Without sight or more detail it impossible to make a realistic judgment to its value .

Drop lock is the American term and although it has been used in US adverts the English prefer hand detachable .

Wesley Richards moved a few years ago from their home for many years (due to redevelopment of the area) in grange road in bournbrook Birmingham to a factory in the centre of Birmingham.

They recently bought out Nigel Teague's (Teague chokes) business, though Nigel apparently still works for them.

If you contact them you should be able to find out a bit more about the gun, if you want some superficial opinions from PW members you would be better to add some photos!

P1

Wesley Richards moved a few years ago from their home for many years (due to redevelopment of the area) in grange road in bournbrook Birmingham to a factory in the centre of Birmingham.

They recently bought out Nigel Teague's (Teague chokes) business, though Nigel apparently still works for them.

If you contact them you should be able to find out a bit more about the gun, if you want some superficial opinions from PW members you would be better to add some photos!

P1

Thanks - I don't actually have the gun (yet!!) hence no photos!

I recall the present owner met (on a shoot) the Wesley Richards stocker who had actually worked on the gun when new.

Not really after valuations - more: is a Wesley Richards a good/worthwhile path into English gun ownership? And where do they stand in the English gunmakers league table?

Thanks

Thanks - I don't actually have the gun (yet!!) hence no photos!

I recall the present owner met (on a shoot) the Wesley Richards stocker who had actually worked on the gun when new.

Not really after valuations - more: is a Wesley Richards a good/worthwhile path into English gun ownership? And where do they stand in the English gunmakers league table?

Thanks

If they were a football team then first division, Premier league are Boss, Purdey, Holland, Churchill, personally I would rate WR as slightly below them.

A

I have seen some very pretty Westley Richards Guns and I have also seen some real dogs, as previously stated the barrel condition is very important, the gun should be well engraved, ejectors are also a positive, it should have well figured wood and an overall appearance of "crispness" all edges and joins clean and sharp, all screw heads should be sharp with no blurring of the slots, the metal to wood fit should be at best virtually seamless, colour hardening present and drop points on the stock are a good sign.....a gun in this condition will command a good price, anything less regarding condition or specification will be pro rata cheaper.

WR best guns will be pushing the best London guns for quality (if not price!) as even the top London makes do not (or certainly did not!) do all their work in house!

William Powell guns were known as the Birmingham Purdey and William Rochester Pape were known as the Purdey of the North these were so called provincial gunmakers but there best guns we're as good as anything that came out of London,

Given the choice of any top quality gun on the market including London! and I would look no further than A A Brown in Alvechurch Birmingham, their supreme deluxe SLE is truly a thing of beauty!

P1

Hi P1

Thanks for that.

I wasn't looking to specifically get into English ownership, this Westley Richards has just happened to become available and I think it would be a nice start, but based on what has been said there are obviously better (and worse) English makers/guns out there. I just want a nice bit of heritage to own and shoot which I hope this Westley Richards is.

Cheers

Check it out very carefully. You need good wall thicknesses for a start - preferably 25 thou and above. Also, even guns from a good maker like W R were not expected/intended to last as long as they have done, so no provision was made for wear on the hinge (and the same goes for all the Webleys out there). I'm not a gunsmith but I have heard that wear in that area will require expensive re-metalling. I may well be misinformed, however, and wait to be corrected.

Thank to all for the replies - very interesting

With regards to the condition, the best I can say is I have known the gun/user for 10 years and visually (lay person) the gun is in very good condition, but I know that is not the same as what a professional gunsmith with experience and a set of gauges might say!!

I have a Westley 28" boxlock ejector which I have owned since the late 1970's. It has the scalloped action, scroll engraving and although NOT removable locks, has a hinged bottom plate. It is cased in a Westley leather case, the nails of which have the heads exposed which, I am led to believe is unique to Westley's. The case also has accessories, snap caps, oil bottle, ebonite cleaning rods etc. I had it fitted by Westley's in 1980. The gun has 2 triggers, which I prefer. Some of their single trigger guns leave a lot to be desired and are prone to breakdown. If it has the patent Westley top lever, then that will probably be loose, they all are, but that does not affect the gun. I have a photo copy of the order book page for 1927, where my gun is listed. The action having been made by Ward. Looking at past order books, most actions were done by outworker Gunsmiths. Although a lovely gun and fully engraved, it is one of the lesser models 'The Heronshaw', denoted by the 4 figure serial number. The higher grades, unless made by other Gunsmiths, and some were, would have been a 5 figure serial number. If you PM me I can offer more information, but I suggest you get a copy of British Boxlock Gun and Rifle by Diggory Hadoke, it has quite a bit about Westley guns, including a paragraph commenting on the rarity of my particular gun. The only word of warning, if you do get the gun, it should close like a pocket watch and not need 'slamming' shut, putting undue pressure on the head of the stock.

I have a Westley 28" boxlock ejector which I have owned since the late 1970's. It has the scalloped action, scroll engraving and although NOT removable locks, has a hinged bottom plate. It is cased in a Westley leather case, the nails of which have the heads exposed which, I am led to believe is unique to Westley's. The case also has accessories, snap caps, oil bottle, ebonite cleaning rods etc. I had it fitted by Westley's in 1980. The gun has 2 triggers, which I prefer. Some of their single trigger guns leave a lot to be desired and are prone to breakdown. If it has the patent Westley top lever, then that will probably be loose, they all are, but that does not affect the gun. I have a photo copy of the order book page for 1927, where my gun is listed. The action having been made by Ward. Looking at past order books, most actions were done by outworker Gunsmiths. Although a lovely gun and fully engraved, it is one of the lesser models 'The Heronshaw', denoted by the 4 figure serial number. The higher grades, unless made by other Gunsmiths, and some were, would have been a 5 figure serial number. If you PM me I can offer more information, but I suggest you get a copy of British Boxlock Gun and Rifle by Diggory Hadoke, it has quite a bit about Westley guns, including a paragraph commenting on the rarity of my particular gun. The only word of warning, if you do get the gun, it should close like a pocket watch and not need 'slamming' shut, putting undue pressure on the head of the stock.

Coincidental Username!!

Sounds a really nice gun!!

I'll PM you.

Thanks