i'm begging again , fly fishing

mel b3

hi fellas , after much deliberation , i have decided to take up fly fishing . do we have any members on the board that would be willing to take a fly fishing virgin in hand and break him in :D , the guy from the local tackle shop has said that he'll teach me to cast a fly when i go to pick up the fishing gear but that will be the only fly fishing knowledge that i have , i was a coarse fisherman for around 20 years so i have a pretty good understanding of fish and watercraft but i'd rather get out with an experienced guy rather than wasting months doing it wrong , i'm in the west midlands , nr junction 9 m6 and of course i will return the favour with days out shooting and the post fishing pint will be on me . thanks in anticipation fellas , mel .

hi fellas , after much deliberation , i have decided to take up fly fishing . do we have any members on the board that would be willing to take a fly fishing virgin in hand and break him in :oops: , the guy from the local tackle shop has said that he'll teach me to cast a fly when i go to pick up the fishing gear but that will be the only fly fishing knowledge that i have , i was a coarse fisherman for around 20 years so i have a pretty good understanding of fish and watercraft but i'd rather get out with an experienced guy rather than wasting months doing it wrong , i'm in the west midlands , nr junction 9 m6 and of course i will return the favour with days out shooting and the post fishing pint will be on me . thanks in anticipation fellas , mel .

Hello melb3 once you have had your casting instruction head for your nearest small stocked stillwater , usually proprietors will give advice on fly patterns , floating or sinking lines , and whatever is the best current tactic. Also you should be able to find some excellent DVDs, and videos on the subject. After that it is a matter of practice , practice and subscribe to a monthly trout angling mag. such as Trout Fisherman or Trout and Salmon to keep up with current trends.

Tight lines from Blackpowder

hi fellas , after much deliberation , i have decided to take up fly fishing . do we have any members on the board that would be willing to take a fly fishing virgin in hand and break him in :) , the guy from the local tackle shop has said that he'll teach me to cast a fly when i go to pick up the fishing gear but that will be the only fly fishing knowledge that i have , i was a coarse fisherman for around 20 years so i have a pretty good understanding of fish and watercraft but i'd rather get out with an experienced guy rather than wasting months doing it wrong , i'm in the west midlands , nr junction 9 m6 and of course i will return the favour with days out shooting and the post fishing pint will be on me . thanks in anticipation fellas , mel .

Shame your not in Kent, I would be more than happy to show you the ropes, its a passion of mine during the summer months, how many others are there on here? :oops: D2D

hi fellas , after much deliberation , i have decided to take up fly fishing . do we have any members on the board that would be willing to take a fly fishing virgin in hand and break him in :/ , the guy from the local tackle shop has said that he'll teach me to cast a fly when i go to pick up the fishing gear but that will be the only fly fishing knowledge that i have , i was a coarse fisherman for around 20 years so i have a pretty good understanding of fish and watercraft but i'd rather get out with an experienced guy rather than wasting months doing it wrong , i'm in the west midlands , nr junction 9 m6 and of course i will return the favour with days out shooting and the post fishing pint will be on me . thanks in anticipation fellas , mel .

only 20 pounds a lesson and worth every penny had one lesson 17years ago and was HOOKED from then on give that a try :oops::) :o

cheers fellas , sound advice as always , it's always better if you can get someone to point you in the right direction :oops:

Good luck Mel, coming from coarse fishing you will already have most of the knowledge you need.

I would get a casting lesson or 2 depending on how quickly you pick it up, but try to avoid what some people do an get too hung up on the casting thing. If you can get a line out, and present the fly nicely, it is far more important than trying to cast to the horizon with the line crashing down on the water :)

Try and have a go with a few diferent weight/length rods as well before you shell out your own stuff.

Hi Mel. only just learned to cast a fly too. I found the trout fisherman magazine a wealth of info for getting started also a good book is THE PURSUIT OF STILLWATER TROUT by brian clarke. it is written in a light hearted jovial manner that cuts through the B/S yet gives all the information you will need. If you do not have anyone who can show you the basics of casting a lesson is a good idea then If you can beg / borrow a fly rod you can always practice casting where you have permission to shoot !! its how i got the hang of casting. Yes you will look a plonker casting in a grass field to a target but that is better than turning up at the waterside and having the line collapse in a heap in front / behind you (thats what happened to me on my first trip, hence the practice on a grass field). As usual wise words spoken by the other members do not worry about distance casting it will come with practice, i caught my first trout at the grand distance of 2 rod lengths out. Hope this helps.

Hi Mel. only just learned to cast a fly too. I found the trout fisherman magazine a wealth of info for getting started also a good book is THE PURSUIT OF STILLWATER TROUT by brian clarke. it is written in a light hearted jovial manner that cuts through the B/S yet gives all the information you will need. If you do not have anyone who can show you the basics of casting a lesson is a good idea then If you can beg / borrow a fly rod you can always practice casting where you have permission to shoot !! its how i got the hang of casting. Yes you will look a plonker casting in a grass field to a target but that is better than turning up at the waterside and having the line collapse in a heap in front / behind you (thats what happened to me on my first trip, hence the practice on a grass field). As usual wise words spoken by the other members do not worry about distance casting it will come with practice, i caught my first trout at the grand distance of 2 rod lengths out. Hope this helps.

Absolutely typical :oops: :(

Not a mention of all the hours of lessons that I gave you, nor of the flies that you nicked off me :( :(

Still, us elder statesmen should be used to getting abused and ignored by those that know nowt about nothing :good: :(

Don

:( Hours of instruction indeed, if you call this is a rod... first swish it this way.... then swish it that way instruction i stand corrected. Indeed the only ring of truth in the whole message you sent relates to the elderly part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA!! great to hear from you though.... tell me has the infection cleared??? :oops: :( :good:

once again fellas , thankyou :oops: , i'm getting exited about it now , the guy at the tackle shop has offered to teach me to cast , i'll just need to get a bit of practice in before i disgrace myself in front of the fishing community :( .

If you get a rod to practice with on grass, tie a very small piece of white wool to the leader, it wont snag and you can see exactly where it is....also it wont take your eye out!

:oops: D2D

There are few on here Mel, if was a bit nearer I would take you out.

You could try it other way round, and see if there are any shooters on a fly fishing forum?

Like this one.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/index.php

i've tried to join this site stu but i've still had no confirmation email , hopefully they'll let me in though:) , i did have a good read and it would appear that their is more to fly fishing than i thought.

still looking for a mentor guys.

I decided to get into fly fishing a couple of weeks ago, mainly because it's the only type of fishing I've not done before and I fancy having a bash for the mullet near me.

Can't give any advice as the gear only came at the weekend and I've not been out with it yet.

After looking at the gear and getting a list together of a few hundred quid I decided to buy a cheap fladen/vantage starter kit from that auction site, I got a 6/7 weight rod, reel, backing, leader, a bit of line and half a dozen flies for £30 plus £5 p&p. (same set as in the factory shop for £50)

I doubt it will be any good for the mullet as it's a bit light but It means I can practice casting without worrying about breaking the rod and it kept the Mrs off my back for not going out buying loads of expensive gear.

Also if I decide that fly fishing isn't for me I haven't lost anything.

He doesn't post on here any more but drop 'flytie' a PM he may pick it up.

Nice bloke, he tied me some top notch flies <_<

If he can't help you he may know someone who will.

Do you get some pointers from the tackle shop bloke?

We can offer remote assistance on here in the meantime.

Firstly don't be put off by the stuff on the flyfishing forum, keep it very simple at first.

What sort of fishing do you have in mind?

Small Stillwaters (probably the best place to start)

Rivers

Reserviors

The type of gear you buy will be determined by where you mainly intend to fish.

hi stu , the guy at the tackle shop doesn't work all week so with a bit of luck i'll get the tackle and a quick casting lesson on sunday morning . i'm only planning on fishing small stillwaters but you know what it's like , the next thing i'll be looking for is a boat <_<:lol: