Pricing error , anyone been lucky

fenboy

Going to see my sister in North Wales, there is a petrol station on Mile End Roundabout on the A5. Now Petrol at the time was about 98p a litre. They said it was 47p on the sign. Went in filled up the Astra, it was about empty, we filled it up for £23 odd. We phoned my sister who lived 15 miles up the road, they got down and filled their car up, the price was the same when we went back home, so we made sure we could not fit any more in the tank!

Never seen them selling petrol at 50% of the average retail price again!

I picked up two 32gb memory sticks from telcos last year priced on shelf at £19.99 each. Though seen as I only had two items and they weren't security tagged I would go through self service. Rang through at 1p each, popped my 2p coin in and left. Bonus.

only real luck ive had was about 20 years ago, i bought a presuure washer and a few other bits in halfords which came to £119. my till recipt said £119 and my credit card recipt said £19. usually i would have said something as thats the type of idiot i am but on this occasion for whatever reason i didnt... i fealt guilty as hell over not saying something for ages

Picked up a top-notch Makita Cordless drill last year from B and Q. Ticket said £159-99. Was directed to go through the self-service till by a lady who removed the security tag. Scanned it in, came up as £15-99. Put a £20 in, got my change and receipt, and walked out.

However, if it's a independent trader, and I think they've made a mistake, I'll always point it out. Whether it's in the totting up or the change.

Picked up a top-notch Makita Cordless drill last year from B and Q. Ticket said £159-99. Was directed to go through the self-service till by a lady who removed the security tag. Scanned it in, came up as £15-99. Put a £20 in, got my change and receipt, and walked out.

However, if it's a independent trader, and I think they've made a mistake, I'll always point it out. Whether it's in the totting up or the change.

Same , if it was one of the little guys I would have said something , in fact my vet undercharged me by £90 for coming out to put my cocker to sleep in September and I told them when I went to pay , but I figure the big DIY chains rip us off plenty !

Lottery card.....

I knew I had 3 numbers so expected £10,

She scanned the slip and the display said £64, so thats what she paid me.

I went home and checked again online ( I use the same numbers so knew what they were) and it said £10

Still dont know why the machine said £64, and no, I hadnt written the numbers down wrong

:shaun:

By law the retailer does not have to honour wrongly priced items if he finds out before taking the money, price on an item is called invitation to treat initially which makes perfect sense otherwise people may just go around plastering expensive items with 99p stickers when no one is looking.

Once money has changed hands though the situation is rather different and the seller has very little recourse because in silly speak : compensation need not be adequate, meaning too late to moan it should have been something else.

In practice we get lucky from time to time, personally though I can't recall a situation where I failed to point out the error.

I had exactly the other way round experience in Avalon Guns a long time ago.

I had seen their price for a rifle scope so took a young lad that I was introducing to shooting, to them, quite some distance too but in those days we all got good discounts so worth the mileage.

The salesman offered the scope to the young lad but asked for the rrp price of the next scope up to the one he wanted.

I pointed out that the rrp for the one the young lad wanted was less than the salesman was asking, but he wouldn't budge.

Then Steve walked into the shop so I said " ah there's the chap to sort this out" to which he replied "the rrp is not a fixed price and if you don't like it tough" I then raised my voice in what I considered a jocular manner and said "that can't be correct as the catalogue has rrp prices and that what a customer would expect to pay unless he got a discount"

I was then told to take it or leave it and that he would not interfere with the salesmans job !!

I haven't been back since.

I had exactly the other way round experience in Avalon Guns a long time ago.

I had seen their price for a rifle scope so took a young lad that I was introducing to shooting, to them, quite some distance too but in those days we all got good discounts so worth the mileage.

The salesman offered the scope to the young lad but asked for the rrp price of the next scope up to the one he wanted.

I pointed out that the rrp for the one the young lad wanted was less than the salesman was asking, but he wouldn't budge.

Then Steve walked into the shop so I said " ah there's the chap to sort this out" to which he replied "the rrp is not a fixed price and if you don't like it tough" I then raised my voice in what I considered a jocular manner and said "that can't be correct as the catalogue has rrp prices and that what a customer would expect to pay unless he got a discount"

I was then told to take it or leave it and that he would not interfere with the salesmans job !!

I haven't been back since.

It sounds like you had a combination of poor customer mannerism/demeanour plus lax pricing of stock. In most situations such as this it would be far better for the shop to concede they made an error and save the sale and so retain future custom.

I recall many many years ago calling a shop to place an order for an airgun/scope combo only to be told by the owner that the (price as displayed for months on end in AirgunWorld) was a typo and that he would not honour it. I didn't buy and he continued to mislead people by not changing the prices in the advert.

If they make an honest mistake though such as somehow pricing a £200 drill for a fiver, they're perfectly within their rights to refuse the sale. They can't ask you back into the shop to pay the difference though so there lies the distinction between invitation to treat and compensation need not be adequate.

By law the retailer does not have to honour wrongly priced items if he finds out before taking the money, price on an item is called invitation to treat initially which makes perfect sense otherwise people may just go around plastering expensive items with 99p stickers when no one is looking.

Once money has changed hands though the situation is rather different and the seller has very little recourse because in silly speak : compensation need not be adequate, meaning too late to moan it should have been something else.

In practice we get lucky from time to time, personally though I can't recall a situation where I failed to point out the error.

I agree with this. The price shown is only 'an invitation to treat' and if the mistake is noticed before the item is taken out of the shop then the sale is cancelled.

Last Friday I ordered 900 litres of heating oil but when I checked the account yesterday I realised the company had only charged me for 500 litres.

I did the decent thing and rang them this afternoon (it's a small business only on the go for a couple of years.) I (barely) got a very reluctant thank you and got spoken to as though they were doing me a favour by checking it out.. I was then charged the balance and virtually hung up on.

I will be changing supplier.

I was on holiday in Scotland with my dad and I went into a gun shop and asked about a air rifle as it was going to be my first gun well it was to expensive and the gunsmith said if I could find it cheaper in a mag then he would price match for me.

So I went away and went through the mag and the was a typo well it was around £130 if I remember which was really cheap so my dad Took me back and I showed the man and he laughed and then showed me and my dad what he paid for them and that was more than £130. But he said as it was my first gun he would go with it as he thought it was important to get new people into shooting with this act of kindness my dad spent more money with him on other things and every time we went back to Scotland we always went back in

Top bloke

I have always had very good service from Avalon,

Bought 2 shotguns from them, first when they just came through the post, 2nd was a new one and they had someone coming to my area in the next few days, hand delivered it.

When I was at the shooting exhibition in Birmingham they had a Beretta clay bag I wanted, they didnt have a new one, only the display one which they couldnt let me have as they needed it for packing stuff into when it was over,

They took my name and address and payment and sent me a brand new one postage free withing 3 days.

:shaun:

I was buying a 6 series BMW back in 2006. I got a quote online for a basic 630i and strolled along to my nearest dealer. The salesman opened up by saying they wouldn't give a discount off them as they didn't need too. And then proceeded to look on their system for cars built, but not yet sold to try to find me the black one I wanted. He found one, but with £4500 worth of extras on it. He showed me the price and I thought I would try and get a discount, so I said it was the car I wanted, but it was much dearer than the quote I already had. He frowned. Played around with his calculator for an age, typed into his computer for a while and said 'right, ok if someone else is selling at that price, so will we' - he printed out the quote onto an order form for me to sign.

I couldn't believe my eyes. He had essentially sold me a car with £4500 of extras for the price of the car with no extras. Not bad for a car on which they didn't need to give discounts in order to sell them !