Taurus LBR

ajb403

After 5 months of waiting for shipping, proofing and delivery to my local RFD I finally picked up my new .44 mag Taurus long barrelled revolver on Monday. I've never owned a new gun before so it's a bit of a treat for me, it's my belated 30th birthday present to myself. Apparently Taurus aren't producing any more LBR's due to high production costs so I'm hoping that this will retain a decent resale value as and when the time comes to sell it. I'm looking forward to heading to the ranage on Friday to try it out, will need to start doing some homework on reloading (anyone know of a good place to start?) as at 55 pence a round for factory ammunition it'd be a quick way to turn money into smoke and noise (which most of my hobbies seem to involve doing!). Have been talking to a couple of people at the range who reload for .44 and turn out light target loads for around 13 pence a round.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of it as soon as I got it home.

image_zpsum25dhcu.jpg

image_zps8l9aym6l.jpg

Very nice; Harry Callaghan would be envious. :yes:

Very rarely loaded full weight magnums for my Model 29; even knocking over skittles and boiler plate didn't require them. Much more pleasant to shoot with soft target loads, but every now and then you've just got to let rip.

I still have the target on which I scored my first 10 in the black with my .44 Mag. I've just ratched it out and on it I have written the following:

Mon: 7.8.89 - 89ex100 - .44 Mag Model 29 - 250 grn Tyne SW on 5.0 Bullseye. I can cover all 10 holes with my hand.

Steve b mentions the Ruger Blackhawk above; a gorgeous gun. A friend had the 'Bisley' variant and even with full weight loads it was surprisingly pleasant to shoot.

Happy days, have fun. :good:

Very nice; Harry Callaghan would be envious. :yes:

Very rarely loaded full weight magnums for my Model 29; even knocking over skittles and boiler plate didn't require them. Much more pleasant to shoot with soft target loads, but every now and then you've just got to let rip.

I still have the target on which I scored my first 10 in the black with my .44 Mag. I've just ratched it out and on it I have written the following:

Mon: 7.8.89 - 89ex100 - .44 Mag Model 29 - 250 grn Tyne SW on 5.0 Bullseye. I can cover all 10 holes with my hand.

Steve b mentions the Ruger Blackhawk above; a gorgeous gun. A friend had the 'Bisley' variant and even with full weight loads it was surprisingly pleasant to shoot.

Happy days, have fun. :good:

Edited my post to include the word 'Super'. My Super Blackhawk had a 7.5" barrel. When I first bought it, I went into the range (LITTS, Newport) with a box of Samson 240grn bullets, donated by the late Don Litt. I must be honest and say that I was a little 'apprehensive' firing it. I remember my first shot, and the cubicle lighting up. The recoil and sound, even with ear protectors on, was something else.

I must be honest and say that I was a little 'apprehensive' firing it. I remember my first shot, and the cubicle lighting up. The recoil and sound, even with ear protectors on, was something else.

I've shot one of these in the past with light target loads but never a full load, I'm expecting it to be quite an experience! The Taurus weighs 4 lbs, I should imaging your super blackhawk was a fair bit lighter than that!

Read up on Elmer Keith.

U.

Just settling down for lunch 'al desk-o' at work so that'll be some lunch time reading for me.

Just had a look. The Super Blackhawk in carbon steel weighs in at 3lbs with a 7.5" barrel. Back then ( possibly still so for all I know) it was single action only which meant it was a tad slower in practical applications on target acquisition, even using the thumb of the supporting hand. The Redhawk was also a .44, but double action, but a big ugly thing by comparison in my opinion. Much prefered the Blackhawk.

Just had a look. The Super Blackhawk in carbon steel weighs in at 3lbs with a 7.5" barrel. Back then ( possibly still so for all I know) it was single action only which meant it was a tad slower in practical applications on target acquisition, even using the thumb of the supporting hand. The Redhawk was also a .44, but double action, but a big ugly thing by comparison in my opinion. Much prefered the Blackhawk.

Yes. The Blackhawk was a single action. I tried a Redhawk double action and it was horrible. Maybe one day, I/We will be allowed to legally own one again, but I very much doubt it. :sad1:

Welcome to the .44 Magnum club ☺

Plenty of cheap ways to load for it, my plinking load is 5gr Hodgdon Titegroup over a 200gr RNFP hard cast boolit which currently work out about £11 per hundred.

I use the Lee hand press and find it easy to use and is a very economical way into reloading. If you like hammering on a live round then a Lee Loader is a great way to try reloading (actually very safe)

Edited by Livefast123

Welcome to the .44 Magnum club ☺

Plenty of cheap ways to load for it, my plinking load is 5gr Hodgdon Titegroup over a 200gr RNFP hard cast boolit which currently work out about £11 per hundred.

I use the Lee hand press and find it easy to use and is a very economical way into reloading. If you like hammering on a live round then a Lee Loader is a great way to try reloading (actually very safe)

Ta very much, do I get a membership card?! ;-)

Your profile says you're in North Somerset, I'm in Radstock, I don't suppose you'd be up for running a "Reloading 101" lesson at some point in exchange for a couple of bottles of something would you?

No card, just a knackered wrist......😀

I'm in Weston super Mare so Radstock is just a blast across the Mendips really. Yep, I'd be more than willing to get you started off in reloading, just make sure that you keep all those factory cases as you'll get loads of light loads from those before they need replacing.

There are loads of target loads for the .44 and your not really effected by bullet feed problems having a revolver so any shape goes.

Give me a pm when you've shot your first 50 and we'll make some more, you'll need some large pistol primers and I have some 240gr cast boolits we can use.

Edited by Livefast123

No card, just a knackered wrist......😀

I'm in Weston super Mare so Radstock is just a blast across the Mendips really. Yep, I'd be more than willing to get you started off in reloading, just make sure that you keep all those factory cases as you'll get loads of light loads from those before they need replacing.

There are loads of target loads for the .44 and your not really effected by bullet feed problems having a revolver so any shape goes.

Give me a pm when you've shot your first 50 and we'll make some more, you'll need some large pistol primers and I have some 240gr cast boolits we can use.

Fantastic, thank you very much! I lived in Banwell for 3 years before moving to Radstock so should be able to find you easily enough when the time comes. Will fire you over a PM in a couple of weeks if that's ok.

Very nice, you won't be popular at the range with full power loads. :)

Making noise isn't really a problem at our range, it's in two old railway tunnels and people regularly shoot .308 and .300 win mag, one member has shot his .458 win mag in there too. Because of the echoes even small calibers make a lot of noise!

Making noise isn't really a problem at our range, it's in two old railway tunnels and people regularly shoot .308 and .300 win mag, one member has shot his .458 win mag in there too. Because of the echoes even small calibers make a lot of noise!

where's yer range located sounds intresting.