First CF for fox???

Phil9

Thinking of applying for my first CF rifle specifically for fox shooting! I already have my FAC with 17hmr and 22rf on my ticket, my land I shoot over is quiet flat so need something that will do the job with maximum effect. Iv had a look on various sites/ect about a CFs but can't seem to find the power output in the 222, 223 & 22-250 and which would be the best option for me to apply for, like my last post I hold my hands up I got it a touch wrong, iv tried doin my homework on the 3 CFs I mentioned but can't seem to find the relevant information so that's why I'm asking u guys to see if I can get the right information because the last thing I want is to contact my FEO and say all the wrong things! I want to be spot on and bee 100% confident in what I'm applying for. Thank you, phil

The differences in ft/lbs for those 3 don't really matter at foxing distances. Most foxing - even in daylight - is carried out at well under 200 yards, with night shooting even closer in.

For the 223, for example, if shooting under 200 yards, you can zero one inch high at 100 and be dead on at 180, and within 1" from about 50 yards out to 200 yards.

Don't get hung up on caliber choice, any will do the job. Have a read of all the blurb you can, have a look at what's on offer and which make takes your fancy then buy it.

Practice till you're familial with its drop and windage, then go out and enjoy yourself.

Just remember that one is no better than the other, despite all the "my caliber is better than yours" clap trap you will read !!

Having said that, the good old ubiquitous 223 takes some beating.

The differences in ft/lbs for those 3 don't really matter at foxing distances. Most foxing - even in daylight - is carried out at well under 200 yards, with night shooting even closer in.

For the 223, for example, if shooting under 200 yards, you can zero one inch high at 100 and be dead on at 180, and within 1" from about 50 yards out to 200 yards.

For my money, +1 absolutely.

I think this might just be one prime example where a chat to one's FEO could not only be worthwhile but also prudent. Your land,as you yourself say, is flat. I can hear the FEO saying words like, "high-seat", or, "as the land is flat, it's only been cleared for....". As an aside, do you happen to know what it is cleared for? Playing the devil's advocate, you're also applying for something of which you have no experience but are considering one of the most brutish fox calibres on the market. Have a word and ask for advice - never a bad option as when faced with that approach, most people are only too pleased to help. Then, even if he says you can have a 22 Hornet as a 1st CF don't be downhearted as the post next to one previous to this is perfectly true. A 45gr bullet at 2900 MV carrying some 825ft/lbs is going to stop dead all but a couple of percent of all the foxes shot in the UK in any one year.

For my money, +1 absolutely.

I think this might just be one prime example where a chat to one's FEO could not only be worthwhile but also prudent. Your land,as you yourself say, is flat. I can hear the FEO saying words like, "high-seat", or, "as the land is flat, it's only been cleared for....". As an aside, do you happen to know what it is cleared for? Playing the devil's advocate, you're also applying for something of which you have no experience but are considering one of the most brutish fox calibres on the market. Have a word and ask for advice - never a bad option as when faced with that approach, most people are only too pleased to help. Then, even if he says you can have a 22 Hornet as a 1st CF don't be downhearted as the post next to one previous to this is perfectly true. A 45gr bullet at 2900 MV carrying some 825ft/lbs is going to stop dead all but a couple of percent of all the foxes shot in the UK in any one year.

,,,hiya wymberley thanks for that , I when I first applied for my ticket my FEO came over to inspect my land and said its big enough for CF but with it being flat he would grant me 17hmr and asked me to build a highseat, which I did, then get some good practice in shooting from my highseat ang gain confidence, once I'd done that he said put in a variation for the bigger caliber (223) that was 12+ months ago now.