Anyone onboard do laser cutting?

Lord Geordie

Hi Guys!

Just wondering if any of the members does laser cutting of steel?

I have been searching for a specific spring clip for a few days now, and it would seem the clip is no longer available!

I was wondering if someone could cut a new one from spring steel, using the old one as a template?

Dimensions are 0.6mm deep, 0.5mm wide and 26.8mm long.

The shape is curved.

I am not asking for it free. I will of course pay for it! I would prefer as close to me as possible so I can drop the broken spring clip off. I believe you would either need to make a CAD file of the original or perhaps a 3d laser model can be done?

Thanks

post-1762-0-47944100-1427847154_thumb.jpg

Might be a little more to it than simply cutting out the shape. Possibly made straight, then bent and tempered? Already some tension in one direction? Might be simple, but not sure ....

Application and dimensions might lead to a source for the part?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/308728-pocket-watch-parts/

Amateur.

I can see where your coming from! But the spring was a mass produced part for these watches, therefor I would suspect they were most likely pressed out on a hydraulic machine?

However!

Today I found a bit of high carbon steel (being a 0.25" feeler guage blade) and set about cutting down to a blank. Then I marked it out as best as I could and started the process of filing down with needle files and reducing it to 0.6mm. I had to create a bending jig and do a little tweaking after the initial bend to get it where it is now!

I now need to drill a 1mm hole for the fixing point and a few final tweaks after that no doubt!

Not saying it's going to work, but at least I Gave it a bash.

Pics to follow

Pics

Pics

post-1762-0-46897400-1427932585_thumb.jpg

post-1762-0-31948400-1427932592_thumb.jpg

post-1762-0-38450900-1427932609_thumb.jpg

post-1762-0-07937300-1427932670_thumb.jpg

post-1762-0-98509100-1427932676_thumb.jpg

Well done. :)

The click-spring that I hand-made for the Galileo was hacked out of gauge plate, then laboriously filed to shape and polished. The material had enough inherent spring not to need tempering, but I did cut it curved, rather than straight.

It might take you several attempts to get it right.

But that is clock-making for you

Hi could you tell us how your going to temper the spring

Or are you case hardening it

Great stuff

Admire you for having a go

All the best

Of

Reading between the lines, I have to harden it by heating till red and then swill it in oil.

Then temper it by heating it to 700 degrees until it turns deep blue. Then check it over

Never made anything like this before!

• 2 weeks later...

There is always something very satisfying about making something from scratch yourself.

I am always astonished that anything that I make or repair works afterwards, but it usually does.

Don't forget that the only difference between a professional and an amateur is that it takes us longer, much, much longer

Aris! Was very hard to drill the spring mount! Pain in the proverbial to be truthful. Then had to have a friend drill it because my drill didn't even scratch it. Got it back and tried it for fit. Didn't line up so took a fair few adjustments to get it right, heated it till red and dropped in oil. Used an old coal shovel on the hob and heated the spring till it started to change colour. Cleaned it up and fitted it. A few minor tweaks and wound the watch. Off it went! Am chuffed to bits

Aris! Was very hard to drill the spring mount! Pain in the proverbial to be truthful. Then had to have a friend drill it because my drill didn't even scratch it. Got it back and tried it for fit. Didn't line up so took a fair few adjustments to get it right, heated it till red and dropped in oil. Used an old coal shovel on the hob and heated the spring till it started to change colour. Cleaned it up and fitted it. A few minor tweaks and wound the watch. Off it went! Am chuffed to bits

I think the problem there is that you did not soften the steel before working it.

If you had heated the piece with a gas flame on a fire-brick to cherry red and allowed it to cool overnight, it would have been much easier to drill and file.

Then, of course, you need to harden and temper it,

I have always found that a gas torch has given me an element of control when heating metal

This might help

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/heat1.htm

Edited by amateur