Which .22LR round for foxes??

What would you choose and why??  

51 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a choice of .22LR ammunition for shooting foxes what would it be?

• High Velocity Solid
    • High Velocity Hollow
    • Subsonic Hollow

Now then...the other week we had a debate about whether or not you would shoot a fox with a .22LR.

Many, including myself, said they would shoot a fox with a .22LR given the correct oppurtunity...however, if you had a choice of ammunition (HV Solid, HV Hollow or Subs Hollow) what would it be and why??

Below is a link to the Eley table of velocities, energies and trajectories for you info:

http://www.eley.co.uk/hunting.htm

I don't think theres any real need to vote as the idea one is the high velocity hollow point, to give you maximum energy and to transfer the maximum energy to do as much damage as possible

If you look at the stats the maximum energy is actually in the HV Solid - hence the question. But I agree I would go with the HV Hollow too. But it begs the question what's better; deformation of the round and hence good transfer of energy (HV Hollow)...or just outright energy and velocity (HV solid)...or at the other end of the scale...quietness (Subs).

So maybe it is worth voting? :lol:

Andy - the search isn't seeming to work properly at the moment but it is "out there"!

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/rimfire.aspx

Oly,

Check out the Velocitors

Cheers

AndyCM

Much appreciated info Andy, :lol: Can you actually get them over here? Also, surely as they are copper plated the put a fair bit of wear on a barrel primarily designed for lead? Do you just clean the barrel the same, or as if it were a centerfire?

Cheers,

Oly.

Don't worry about cleaning your rifle. It dosen't matter what ammo you choose, if you can't put it in the right place, you won't get a clean kill. Forget all the ftlb you can get, because if you can't shoot them straight they won't produce a clean kill.

So if you have a HV that won't group well you shouldn't be shooting at LIVE QUARRY with them, but if you can put 5 Subsonic shots sub 1" at 70 you will kill what your quarry is. IF YOU HAVE FOX ON YOUR TICKET FOR THE .22LR THAT IS :lol::/:)

Anyone had/heard of it in a .22rimmy!!!! Doubt it. I have cleaned my .22 rimmy once in the five years i have had it and it was my dads before me, and i shoot HV & subs,

Yep, you talk to many competition shooters and everyone seems to know of someone. I know they're putting a lot more rounds though per year but it still can happen! :lol:

I don't think theres any real need to vote as the idea one is the high velocity hollow point, to give you maximum energy and to transfer the maximum energy to do as much damage as possible

<_<

From the results it looks like it was worthwhile putting this quesiton out to the vote! :lol::lol::lol:

I havnet my .22lr yet but i will be buying a couple of sub HP finding the most accurate and everything will be shot with that.

Obviously a .22HV HP has more energy but messing around with tradjectorys and different types of bullet gets messy with one bullet you dont need to clean between changes rezero or whatever you just shoot it.

I havnet my .22lr yet but i will be buying a couple of sub HP finding the most accurate and everything will be shot with that.

Obviously a .22HV HP has more energy but messing around with tradjectorys and different types of bullet gets messy with one bullet you dont need to clean between changes rezero or whatever you just shoot it.

I would not take a shot at a Fox with subsonic and a mod unless the range was under 50yds,

my best rounds using Anshutz 525 semi auto are Remmington Yellow Jacket Hyper velocity for Fox and Winchester subsonic with mod for Rabbits. Its worth experimenting with different makes as they do perform differently in particular rifles.

When out with the .22 I carry one mag of each and take the mod off and change mags if an opportunity for a shot at Fox arises, I agree that the drop between the rounds is a serious consideration but if out Foxing I would use the .223. :lol:

<_< D2D

I would not take a shot at a Fox with subsonic and a mod unless the range was under 50yds,

my best rounds using Anshutz 525 semi auto are Remmington Yellow Jacket Hyper velocity for Fox and Winchester subsonic with mod for Rabbits. Its worth experimenting with different makes as they do perform differently in particular rifles.

When out with the .22 I carry one mag of each and take the mod off and change mags if an opportunity for a shot at Fox arises, I agree that the drop between the rounds is a serious consideration but if out Foxing I would use the .223. :lol:

<_< D2D

Why do you take your moderator off??

For me it is CCI Velocitor. I have always been a fan of Federal and still am but theVelocitor with its .40 grn hollow point Speer Gold Dot head are very accurate and hit hard. Since they have been on the market I have shot most vermin out there with them at some time....raccoon, opposum, dirt pigs,. ferel cats, fox and coyote. And believe me 50 yard head shot on a Yote and they drop dead.

Remember though as has been said if you cant put that bullet where it belongs then practise until you can ....BEFORE you go hunting <_<

NTTF

Some people have them cleared alright

For me the .22lr isnt a fox gun its a rabbit gun for shooting foxes if they happen to poke there head out but still very capable just have to be spot on.

My .22lr was bought purely to put ammo through and not for shootung quarry i have the 17hmr for that.

Peter

<_< D2D

Why do you take your moderator off??

Do you know I dont have an answer to that, My Father always did it and I only ever use it for subs, strange how I have never thought to do otherwise and have never shot HV with it on.

:lol: D2D

I don't really get the quarry rules on the UK ticket, it seems daft to me. If a person isn't seen to be capable of deciding what their gun is capable of, they shouldn't be given a cert until they've learned a bit more about ballistics. I started off knowing nothing, and through reading on here I have a basic understanding most rounds from .22lr subs to .308! .22lr will kill a fox as cleanly as a .308, but at less than a tenth of the range! You don't have to turn it inside out to kill it, before anyone comments :good:

Anything from .22 Hornet upwards id better for fox. ???

But, i have personally, when the oppertunity arrised, shot foxes with a .22lr and winchester subs, with a PH mod attached. ???

Nice work, without wanting to sound patronising you seem to be a useful chap to have around, keep up the good work. :D;)???

:good: D2D