Sturgon on equality

keg

The policy that Scotland uses as quoted by the BBC

But it is not just students from Scotland who get free tuition at Scotland's 19 universities - under European law, students from other EU member states share the same entitlement.

However, students from other parts of the UK do not and Scottish universities charge them tuition fees

What do you mean? That English students who study in Scotland do not qualify? Do you think that French, German and Italian students do? Please elaborate.

You've got it in one.

Eu students get free uni education. English, Welsh and N.Irish students don't.

****** eh? (unless you're from mainland Europe).

See what you mean, just looked it up on directgov. I think it might be stating the obvious, if a neighbouring government is offering a better deal for students,then it may attract too many students from England. This may make the legislative change unaffordable. Again, this is something to take up with your own government in Westminster. PS didn't have the heart to mention the spelling mistake. Lol

Edited by mcleod

See what you mean, just looked it up on directgov. I think it might be stating the obvious, if a neighbouring government is offering a better deal for students,then it may attract too many students from England. This may make the legislative change unaffordable. Again, this is something to take up with your own government in Westminster. PS didn't have the heart to mention the spelling mistake. Lol

So are you defending it? That a French student gets free tuition at a Scottish university and an English student doesn't.

Yes, and it isn't a gimme that all EC students get funding. The decision rests with the university and the Student Awards Body. As I explained earlier if every English student wanted to study in Scotland it would not be viable on a fiscal basis. EC students bring other benefits, like foreign language skills obviously and they tend to be above average students. Before you attack me a small country like Scotland could not support a large influx of English students. As i have already explained you must take this matter up with your own government.

Exactly...a bit like the NHS the best Doctors, Surgeons and Dentists are certainly not British. :no:

dead right but you omit the fact that our best British doctors dentists surgeons are in America Canada or Australia

KW

The downside to this policy is that there's been a big reduction in college places...

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6395665

...and it's rumoured that the universities restrict the number of places for Scottish students so they'll get a number of fee paying English/Welsh / Northern Irish students in.

Nial.

BTW it's "Scurge-on"

Had a look at the article Nial, there won't be any government department that hasn't suffered due to austerity measures and by that I mean the UK in general. The article seems to focus on part time study. The employment market is poor and wages are not the best. If your not earning enough you won't be able to pay for further study. Using Scotland as an example many jobs are low pay and low skill. As far as the rumour you hint at, you may be right.

Because we spend money the way we see fit. If you want tuition fees sorted take it up with your own parliament.

Last I checked, we all paid the same rates of tax. One would think that we would all get the same services?

Our parliament is yours too - well at least your have a vote in it.