223 twist???

Phil9

Right chaps I have decided on the 223 rifle (not sure what make yet) with either a 53gr or 55gr hornady v-max specifically for fox and long range corvids and rabbit, I no at long distances it's not right to take head shots on rabbit so body shots are the only way, that said I won't be eating the meat, shorter distance I have my 17hmr, I'm just wondering what twist rate is best for the 223 bullet in a 223 rifle iv had a look on various sites and Google but thought I'd ask all ur advise aswel .thanks phil.

but if you see a 1 in 8 buy it.it will shoot the 50's but if you find yourself wanting to stretch it's legs further the the heavier high bc bullets are the ones to have imo

oh and get a tikka.

my mate just brought a very nice tikka

what's wrong with head shooting at distance,either a clean miss or clean kill

Up to 55gr 1:12 twist is perfect. :good:

Expensive way to shoot crows and rabbits mind.

hahaha it won't be a lot of crows and rabbits mate DNT worry just the 1s out of range

my mate just brought a very nice tikka

what's wrong with head shooting at distance,either a clean miss or clean kill

yeah true mate never thought of it like that,, I DNT like to miss tho hahahaha

but if you see a 1 in 8 buy it.it will shoot the 50's but if you find yourself wanting to stretch it's legs further the the heavier high bc bullets are the ones to have imo

oh and get a tikka.

I'll be shooting out to around 300yds at the very very max so the 55gr will be fine in a 1 in 12 won't it???

1 in 12 is plenty fast enough too stabilise up to 60 gr.tend to agree with mike though 1 in 8 would make for a versatile rifle,trouble would be finding one though. but if 300 will be your max range 1 in 12 will be fine it will do 400/500 on a still day anyway

I have a 1/9" twist and shot 52g Amax mainly,it also shoots 40g nozler balistic tip,55gvmax, 60g hornady tap all extremely well. But with 68g and 69g it's not very good. Mate 1/12"twist will do nearly the same. I would go 1/7,1/8 personally. But 1/12 will do for your needs.

1 in 12 is plenty fast enough too stabilise up to 60 gr.tend to agree with mike though 1 in 8 would make for a versatile rifle,trouble would be finding one though. but if 300 will be your max range 1 in 12 will be fine it will do 400/500 on a still day anyway

Yeah mate 300 would be my max range, think I'll ggo for the 1in 12 thenthanks

Have a look at cz 527 kevlar varmint 24" barrel 1/9" twist and it in a h&s kevlar stock with an aluminium bedding block. Ideal as a long range varmint cheap second hand and the barrel is a medium weight to heavy weight. So it's a do all rifle. Only downside are they use an odd size mount and you can only get a 5 shot mag. I love mine and it shoots great.

Have a look at cz 527 kevlar varmint 24" barrel 1/9" twist and it in a h&s kevlar stock with an aluminium bedding block. Ideal as a long range varmint cheap second hand and the barrel is a medium weight to heavy weight. So it's a do all rifle. Only downside are they use an odd size mount and you can only get a 5 shot mag. I love mine and it shoots great.

that would make a great first rifle.sportsmatch do mounts to fit for 30 quid or so,my mate has them on his hornet i have optiloks on mine

that would make a great first rifle.sportsmatch do mounts to fit for 30 quid or so,my mate has them on his hornet i have optiloks on mine

I have a set of warn mounts and 1" millet windage adjustable steel mounts on it at the mo. You can also get pictanniny rails that fit. I like mine that much, Im going to see about having another barrel fit in somthing a little different, unsure what to go for yet 20tac 223ai or just a faster twist.

My t3 is 1-8

I regularly shoot rabbits out to 350 meters with 55 vmax, it loves them, super accurate. Try and go 1-8 or 1-9 if you can find it.

Just shows how different land presents different problems, I don't remember the last time (if ever) I had to shoot a rabbit at 350m with a CF.

I have a set of warn mounts and 1" millet windage adjustable steel mounts on it at the mo. You can also get pictanniny rails that fit. I like mine that much, Im going to see about having another barrel fit in somthing a little different, unsure what to go for yet 20tac 223ai or just a faster twist.

20 practical

just got back from testing a mates 223.its a 1in8 firing 75 gr a max and must say i am very impressed first shot out of a cold clean barrel was a 330 y crow which didnt know what hit it.after that we had a few shots on paper best group being just under 1/2" at 200 y

after we moved on to another farm i shot a wood pigeon with great results ,i'm really surprised how well the amax expand

Cheers mate I'll av a look at them I like CZ iv got the 452 style 17hmrcracking little bit of kit it is aswel