.17 hmr Zeroing

deadeye ive

A very interesting thread...Deadeye, one of the things I would suggest is try and replicate your misses by placing a static tgt where the bunny was and try to adopt the original shooting position and let fly a few rnds. You may be suprised by the results of a rifle that is shooting true zero over flat ground, especially if shooting from a vehicle where your position is automatically elevated. Also have you made sure that not even the faintest trace of oil is reaching the face of the bolt or breech. as for split cases I have suffered lots with CCI but none in remmy. As already stated in this thread it may be inconsistent eye relief between strings but seeing your groups I doubt it. Sometimes when chasing the error we end up setting zero on a hot barrel and mod and then wonder why our groups and zero change on a cold shot. My friends Tikka was a sod to zero we had rounds flying all over the place untill we discovered that as long as you did not in anyway touch the front QD stud you could clover leaf at 100yds. It still puzzles me that one especially on a floated barrel, it's obviously something to do with the harmonics, but i'm stuffed as to why? Sorry for the ramble.

Kind Rgds

Pointer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Dougy had a big magnet in his pocket :/

not going to gabble off too much , :lol:

but the BIG magnet was waving round Ive's head. he keeps showing his 5 shot groups :lol:

but its funny cus i have 9 in my mag and EVERYBODY :angry::lol: keeps taking the "P" out of my groups

cus after i put a good group on with 5 i just fire anywere with the other 4. :lol:

any way didnt buy it to shoot paper with. going bunny bashing in a bit, they seem to like my groups :lol:

:lol: glad to see your groups have got worse Ive :lol:

95 yds ,Lying prone using a Bi- pod only :/:lol::lol:

post-1945-1174997262.jpg

I'll let Dougy fill in the details seeing has he was next to me :lol:

Ive, i'm not convinced its the ammo. It wouldnt make your zero shift as you describe.

how high is your scope from the barrel? What length barrel have you got? Have you tried it without the moderator?

No I haven't tried the mod off ,Scope is set low to barrel with minimal clearance . ,Barrel lenght is 21"

I'm not convinced about ammo now now looking at that group I achieved to day :angry: ............I really am going mad :oops:I'm waitng for a response about shooting down a slope .

And yes my groups opened up with more flyers as Don said and it took less than 25 shots to reveal this .

My advice

Clean your barrel as much has you do the wedding tackle :lol:

thats better ive, just goes to show you was not trying hard enough the first time.

I've stop messing about and get .223 on the job :lol::lol::lol:

Given up on my .17 :/ its going for trade in on my 6.5 :lol::lol::D

The .223 is reliable but this rifle is causing some fun and games to say the least,Even with the last scope fitted hence the change or upgrade .Your last post was with the .22lr where you commented on it's reliability I noticed so have you had some inconsistancy with this calibre or is it the fact That it's a Ruger ?

Sorry for not replying sooner I've been stupidly busy :/:angry:

The Ruger shoots as well as any .17hmr :lol::lol:

It really needs a barrel chop (to long) and a new stock (doesn't fit me very well) :/

I might well feel different if i had the above done but i cant be bothered :P

I just don't have a use for it any more :/:/

The ammo has always been pretty dam good no probs there

Foxing = .223 can't remember the last time a fox was in .17 range :/

Bunnies= .22 quiet and cheap

Any way i have got the i wants for a 6.5 now :D:D so somethings goto to go :lol::no:

I really am going mad :oops:I'm waitng for a response about shooting down a slope .

I cant get this to compute in my head :lol: but, shooting upwards or downwards you need to hold under. However, this doesnt explain how your 106 yards is low as you would expect it to be high based on the elevated shooting theory. :lol::/:lol:

It does'nt add up with me either Axe hence this post .I have enough experience to know when something ain't right and 9/10 will have a good idea what the cause is but this has got me cabbaged to say the least .

To day was a big weight off my shoulders has I really had lost all confidence in my set up .I expected it to be different after I took it home and cleaned it.

The group was the second batch of 5 from a clean barrel and the first group was under 1" but tbh the average was 1" but the friendly competiton between myself and Dougy brings out the best in me .

Has for buying a rifle just to shoot rabbits well you should have bought a agricultural CZ like mine John .It's not so upsetting when it gets scratched :lol: Good luck to night :angry:

Oh ! By the way I almost forgot ........This agricultural CZ will give any Anshultz a run for it's money :lol:

Incoming :lol:

Foxing = .223 can't remember the last time a fox was in .17 range

Bunnies= .22 quiet and cheap

Any way i have got the i wants for a 6.5 now :lol::angry: so somethings goto to go :/:lol:

Can't fault you there mate ........I think i might have lost one of my permissions due to the noisy HMR :lol: The odd ballistic crack seems aceptable to be fair but one shot after another apparently keeps setting all the dogs off so I've been informed so i'm lying low for now and letting the dust settle .

the HMR is the most accurate round i have ever used. What was the wind conditions like? has your scope ever lost zero and how often?

Daz

Conditions were as Ideal as you could get ,no wind and pleasantly warm .I have only recently aquired this scope which from new would cost over £600 due to it's custom fit ballistic reticle .I have shot 6x and 20x mag with no deviation from zero .

I have owned a scope that would'nt keep zero and it went straight back to whence it came no messing but I am quietly confident with this one :/

If a .17 hmr is the most accurate round you've ever used then you obviously haven't moved up to full bore where with home loading you can generate consistancy .Something not guarenteed with factory .

However my FAC air rfile takes some beating at 50 m weather permitting .

Well i'm still completely baffled about your original question but I decided to spend the evening cleaning and re-zeroing the rifle. I have put pay to any disbelief that the rifle isnt working. After a clean it was low and right. Dialled it in and its now doing exactly what I expect it to do. :/

As for the permission, perhaps you shouold explain the situation with the differeing rounds and use a quieterrifle to prove the point?

Good luck with it Ive

After a clean it was low and right. Dialled it in and its now doing exactly what I expect it to do. :D

As for the permission, perhaps you shouold explain the situation with the differeing rounds and use a quieterrifle to prove the point?

Good luck with it Ive

Axe

From personal experience it's how you clean the rifling which believe it or not does have a bearing on where that first shot goes ............I don't think it's coincidence that i have now 2 rifles that with a clean bore or more to the point :my interpretation of a clean bore then i know exactly where the first shots go .

Looks like some lead is going down the range on Aug 4th/5th so I'll be doing a deep clean in the field :/

This permission is proving more trouble than it's worth .........The farmer does not have a problem at all ,It's his sister in law who's giving him grief has she lives nearby :/

supports my case for the .22lr :/

i wounder if the HMR is particually susceptable (spelt wrong) to temp change, and this is why your seeing the movement in zero.

My cz has never been amazing at holding zero, and one day i will get around to pillar and glass bedding it. But i could do without the sleepless night for now. plus cz varmints are notiriously hard to get out of the bedding compund due to the matt action finish.

I have to say I'd been having a moment with mine last week and that seemed to have changed zero after cleaning and took a while to come back which was odd as it never needs adjusting just 5 shots through then the second mag is bang on.

Still last night 19 out of 20 rabbits didn't like it and for the first time shot out of ammo as I was being a bit lazy as the gunshops a trek so just took what I'd got left. I don't know if anyone else was out last night but our shoot its rare to get more than 10 and thats driving round but with a half moon and still it was like shooting fish in a barrel. The first time I've shot 5 without moving one after the other and had to change mags to shoot more. Weird when the rounds so noisy!

Well with all this talk of new and varying results with your old or young and trusted faithfull HMR i wonder if Mars has aligned with Jupiter creating sonic gravitational interference :/ .You lads that live near the coasts :are the tides lower than normal :D

I'll get my coat :/

Well with all this talk of new and varying results with your old or young and trusted faithfull HMR i wonder if Mars has aligned with Jupiter creating sonic gravitational interference :oops: .You lads that live near the coasts :are the tides lower than normal :lol:

after checking the tides Ive, I can catagorically say that I now have a wet foot. :P:lol::lol:

Its a fickle calibre, you either have to live with it or go back to your .22. I rarely use mine, I just cant be *****, if i need to be quiet, il take the .22, if i dont care, ill take the 22-250.

Come on guys, give the HMR a break. I thought it was supposed to be a good little round? I haven't even got mine yet so hearing all this negative chat is making me uncomfortable, I didn't ask for .22! I'm sure Dazzy must be getting bothered by these comments too, as he's only just got his .17! Lets hear some good points, before I get too stressed that I've asked for the wrong calibre :oops:

EDIT....And I've just noticed kip is about to cry aswell :P

Its a fickle calibre, you either have to live with it or go back to your .22. I rarely use mine, I just cant be *****, if i need to be quiet, il take the .22, if i dont care, ill take the 22-250.

Come on guys, give the HMR a break. I thought it was supposed to be a good little round? I haven't even got mine yet so hearing all this negative chat is making me uncomfortable, I didn't ask for .22! I'm sure Dazzy must be getting bothered by these comments too, as he's only just got his .17! Lets hear some good points, before I get too stressed that I've asked for the wrong calibre :oops:

Dont fret, I wouldnt be without mine and did you actually see the groups that Ive shot, above? All within a 5 pence. :lol:

Lets hear some good points, before I get too stressed that I've asked for the wrong calibre :oops:

It is the best small pest control round out there at the moment IMO and the majority will agree on any forum .It just takes alot of time and range work to get your set up consistant that's all which in most case's can be similar to full bore .

It's only negative is the noise even when moderated for what performance your getting :lol:

Noise isn't too big a problem on my shoot, they can't make any more noise than a 12g if they're moderated can they? I'd have liked a .22, but because I'm new I thought a HMR would be safer because of the reduced ricochet risk. Most guns are ammo fussy to a point, even air rifles. My S200 shoots hopeless groups with Eley wasps, but with Accupels it's spot on. I'll get to find out for myself soon hopefully! Cheers for the reassuring comments :oops:

Don't worry they'll still beat a .22 for accuracy any day of the week, its simply you wouldn't try shooting rabbits at 150 yards with a .22 :P

You'll love it and don't worry about the noise they really don't worry about it just makes them stick their heads :oops:

Don't worry they'll still beat a .22 for accuracy any day of the week, its simply you wouldn't try shooting rabbits at 150 yards with a .22 :lol:

You'll love it and don't worry about the noise they really don't worry about it just makes them stick their heads :good:

got to disagree

I am yet to see an HMR shoot as well as a .22 at 50yards.

Personally i would stop messing about and use the .223, if your going to make some noise, do it properly.

.22 and .223 :good:

Don't worry they'll still beat a .22 for accuracy any day of the week, its simply you wouldn't try shooting rabbits at 150 yards with a .22 :lol:

You'll love it and don't worry about the noise they really don't worry about it just makes them stick their heads :lol:

got to disagree

Personally i would stop messing about and use the .223, if your going to make some noise, do it properly.

My, you have a superabundance of dosh :lol::lol:

Shooting rabbits with a 0.223 - well try doing that with 50 rabbits/night and you will soon feel the pinch :good::good:

Yes, the 0.223 is more accurate than a 0.17, and so it should be, but for regular work on rabbits no :no::no:

The 0.17 is a superb 100 yard (head shot) rabbit gun, and the best that there is available for long range work at a cost/rabbit ratio. All you need to do is to accept the rounds limitations (wind, regular cleaning) and get on with it.

Don

You'll love it and don't worry about the noise they really don't worry about it just makes them stick their heads :lol:

got to disagree

My, you have a superabundance of dosh :lol::lol:

Shooting rabbits with a 0.223 - well try doing that with 50 rabbits/night and you will soon feel the pinch :good::good:

Yes, the 0.223 is more accurate than a 0.17, and so it should be, but for regular work on rabbits no :no::/

The 0.17 is a superb 100 yard (head shot) rabbit gun, and the best that there is available for long range work at a cost/rabbit ratio. All you need to do is to accept the rounds limitations (wind, regular cleaning) and get on with it.

Don

HMR is still pricey, Personally i dont shoot that volume of bunnies, just dont have access or the desire to. So the .223 is great for some long range bunny control. Well when mine shoots straight :no:

I cant wait to get out in the field...only a few more weeks! the range is so damn expensive!

£11 for 50

and belive me it doesnt take long to polish them off!

And oi!!!

Stop dissin the HMR!

Im in love with mine!

Thinking back to the days when i used to own an old BSA air rifle and a cheap scope, both of which were about 6 years old, i couldnt hit a 10p piece from 15 yards away.Coming onto a HMR!! as i said..read the 3rd line down^^^^^^^

I do have some problems with my first shot were i have to re-zero, but then again i cant comment on that because the club owner takes it home with him at night so its in the back of the jeep, then into the amoury but within 4-5 shots i have groupings within an inch squared!