I'm after a bipod that allows cant

fieldwanderer

Having tried a couple of rifles at catton this weekend, I've decided I'd benefit from a bipod that doesn't need to be levelled each time. I.e the rifle can be canted slightly either way instead.

What's out there though that's worth having? I currently have a harris that's fixed and I really rate it, it's lasted over 10 years of frequent use but they're expensive these days, especially those that do what I'm looking for.

Are there any other brands out there that are a bit more reasonably priced but still good quality?

I have Harris and also Chinese-made bipods, and to be honest the Chinese ones are every bit as good imho - at a fraction of the price. Perhaps I just got lucky, but I'm sure I can't be the only one who thinks that Harris are somewhat overrated. :hmm:

After a few close calls finger wise with the harris types I have one of these

Tilt and rotation as well. Really good pod in my opinion

http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/hunting_gb/equalizer-2.html

I have the tall one of these & I must say they are great. I have mine on my .223 & it means I can take sitting & kneeling shots while lamping. I wouldn't be without it now.

I have the tall one of these & I must say they are great. I have mine on my .223 & it means I can take sitting & kneeling shots while lamping. I wouldn't be without it now.

I was so impressed with mine I bought the shooting sticks as well. I find the sitting ones great for ambushing bunnies gives a rock steady support without going prone which kills my neck!

Edited by Zetter

I was so impressed with mine I bought the shooting sticks as well. I find the sitting ones great for ambushing bunnies gives a rock steady support without going prone which kills my neck!

My .223 is really heavy because of a stainless barrel, mod & thumbhole stock, so without the bipod it would be really difficult to take shots freehand or on posts. Since I got the bipod I've barely missed.

My .223 is really heavy because of a stainless barrel, mod & thumbhole stock, so without the bipod it would be really difficult to take shots freehand or on posts. Since I got the bipod I've barely missed.

You've not seen my rifle have you? :lol:

It's got a 28" stainless barrel that's 30mm where it meets the action and a consistent taper down to 21mm at the start of the thread for the mod (m18), the mod's a long wildcat predator 12 so not very light either. plus a joe west thumbhole stock and fairly chunky scope. I built it for long shots, laying in wait, and to get the very most from a .22-250 (I'm chucking 69gr matchkings at nearly 3600fps; which is similar energy to a .243). Yesterday, I was consistently hitting a steel hare's head at 440 yds in approx 10mph wind :D not quite every shot but very nearly, happy days.

Thanks for all your opinions guys, I'll have a look around at all the suggestions :good:

You've not seen my rifle have you? :lol:

It's got a 28" stainless barrel that's 30mm where it meets the action and a consistent taper down to 21mm at the start of the thread for the mod (m18), the mod's a long wildcat predator 12 so not very light either. plus a joe west thumbhole stock and fairly chunky scope. I built it for long shots, laying in wait, and to get the very most from a .22-250 (I'm chucking 69gr matchkings at nearly 3600fps; which is similar energy to a .243). Yesterday, I was consistently hitting a steel hare's head at 440 yds in approx 10mph wind :D not quite every shot but very nearly, happy days. Thanks for all your opinions guys, I'll have a look around at all the suggestions :good:

I bet Dougy was jealous

I was a tad envious. It was difficult finding the correct windage. I was putting 1 moa on but found it was too much,one of those learning days. Hats off to fielwonderer great shooting. Strange A full value L-R wind showing at 450 with a wind coming from behind from the firing point.

It's all about practice and learning from it. Isn't that right fieldwonderer

;-)

Not sure if you were there when I told the story Dougy;

My coach (a long time ago now) would've told you it's not practice! Practice is throwing lead down the range and training is questioning each shot; what did I do right/wrong, what could I have done better etc etc.

The wind was awkward, almost directly from behind at the firing point and 90 degrees at the target but varying to more like 45 degrees. I got it sussed, it was as much luck as anything and to be fair Dougy was keeping up admirably :yes:

Thanks to stevo and TT for yet more suggestions :lol: I'm sure I can find something I like out of all of them

This.....

Plenty of cheap Harris copies but NONE with their strength and durability.

If you do want a Harris, PM me

why? Because out of every single member on here fister is the only one I know who tests shooting products for a living..... he knows his stuff Edited by Paul223

I have 2 sniper system Bi Pods, Both cost me £50 each, Both have been used on heavy rifles, 1 of which is on my 260 (17lb ish)sort of semi permanent fix, and i had one that the stud broke on the clamp attachment that goes into the rifle swivel stud, I rang "sniper systems" and i was sent a new part next day. Yes they are a copy, but an awful lot better that other copy's, Not had one collapse on me yet.