ebay vehicle scams

viking

i know there nothing new but iv unearthed 3 in the last week.

iv been looking for a new vehicle and narrowed it down to another land rover defender, nissan navara or a nissan pathfinder.

a few days ago i saw a 1997 300 tdi CSW what looked to be immaculate with 113,000 miles on it. buy it now price £3270, it was then my spider senses started to tingle,

bloke had only joined ebay a week ago, so i thought id play along for a bit, got in touch with him asking if i could view it, but i couldnt as the seller has moved to Sweden,but the good news was he'd left it with a shipping company who would deliver it for free.all i had to do was send money via paypal and all would be good. after a few choice words to him i reported him to ebay and his listing was removed,

day after i saw another land rover 2002 td5 80,000 miles(,only just joined ebay too) i asked what he wanted for it and he said he would let it go for £5500, probably half its true value,

as he was in scotland 4 hours away i asked if cash on collection was ok, no he said as to many bent notes about,it had to be paid via paypal first. as he said we were both protected by ebay/paypal, but paypal offer no protection when buying a motorized vehicle or anything you have collected in person. he was also reported and removed.

yesterday i found a nissan pathfinder adventura 2007 70.000 buy it now for £5000 contacted him, he asked me to email him at his personal email addres, as he didnt check ebay often, so i played along, asked if i could view it and how he would like payment, as luck would have it his wife had just got a new job in Greece, but all wasnt lost as he'd also had the good sense to leave it at a shipping company, all i had to do was pay for the car and he would kindly go halfs on the delivery costs. he also got the sharp end of my tongue then reported to ebay,

iv also just found nissan navara 2006 with 62.000 miles on, he only wants £4000 for it, he has also just joined ebay, whats the betting its at a shipping company.

id like to think know one was daft enough to fall for it but a greedy person is easily conned,

you have been warned.

lee

Why is it that oil rig workers always seem to offer top of the range cars for peanuts? Nearly went to Scotland to have a look at a Merc, but the guy was offshore drilling for 6 weeks. Yet using another email account, he said he was doing missionary work in Africa. Talented guy being able to split himself up like that.

Alarm bells should have rung when he said he was offshore for six weeks, regular rig crew rarely do more than two on two off; a cushy little number unlike service hands that go from one job to the next endlessly. The longest stretch I did was 12 weeks then I enjoyed three days off in the yard prepping the next job.

Autotrader is full of scammers, also a lot of the "dealing from home" brigade are as bent as bent can be. One character wanted to meet my son in a car park to show him a car he was allegedly selling for a mate serving in Iraq.

You just have to wonder who believes these stories?

Its not that much more expensive to go to a reputable dealer or auction where you have some redress. I've bought hundreds of vehicles from auctions and 'most' have been OK.

Every secondhand vehicle has problems, its all about how many problems and how serious, but to pay several grand into somebody's account for a car you have never seen much less run a check on.........................REALLY?

Edited by Vince Green

Some folk really are that thick and greedy, a distant relative sent a bankers draught for four grand a few months back to an eBay seller and wondered why the car didn't arrive a few days later .

And that is why eBay, Autotrader nd Gum Tree is full of them.

Did they manage to get anything back or was it a lost cause?

They were exceptionally Lucky and notified the bank before the draught was payed in on the Monday morning after realising their error and got the money back, we had similar issued trying to buy cars and caravans from gumtree(which is owned by eBay) , one guy was happy to pop round with the car he said he had and deliver it if we could have the £13,000 cash waiting at home!! There was another one who allegedly lived on an army base in the Isle of Man but would send the caravan to us after we payed the money into google wallet who would retain payment for 3 days until we were happy then forward it on , except Google wallet only works in america and he had set up a fake Google wallet site in the UK for his purposes, we googled "is there an army base on the Isle of Man" and it seems he had been very successful and sold several caravans and camper vehicles to people this way, from the complaints on various websites we found it appeared he had made 5 figures a month from this scam for quite a while, a friend traced his web ISP to a property in Wembley and we notified gumtree but weeks later he was still advertising on their site as were the other scammers we told them about

My youngest son has just turned 17 and wanted to buy himself a car we found a little green lupo on ebay went to west wales (3hr drive) to pick it up and to my surprise its a cracking little car with a full service history and the seller was a true gent even let us ponce off his wifi to tax it

Youngest was dead chuffed oldest not so he got to drive a 1 litre lupo all the way home

I have had similar,on ebay was a giveaway td5 at Colchester army barracks,trouble was owner was on exercise in Scotland for months,but if i paid via paypal he would have van delivered and i could have for seven days trial before paypal released monies,i bought a transit from a garage.

It was easy to spot these scammers after that,so why is it the authorities can't or don't.

I had heard about people turning up to buy a car with cash and getting jumped.