First Dog

fitzy

Contemplating my first dog. Primarily a family dog but do intend to get it working on our little syndicate shoot. My experience is quite limited. I've been reading on the subject. There is an excellent local trainer and my friend also has experience training gun dogs.

One dilemma is having to leave the dog on its own. Two days in the week it'll be on its own from 8.30-3.45. It's not ideal but worried about the effect on dog especially a breed as sociable as a working spaniel or lab. Would welcome some advice.

I do not see being away from 8.30 till 3.45 too bad , plenty of us have dogs that have required leaving longer than that , as long as they are left where they cannot to themselves or your property damage , to listen to some you would think you can only have a dog if you are unemployed or retired .

Yes ideally pups need feeding 4 times a day , solution buy a bowl with a timer and set it to open when required , worked fine for my dogs.

That's not too long a period I don't think. When he is older and able to get plenty of exercise, he will probably sleep for most of that time. A well exercised dog will sleep whenever it can, it'll be hard work early doors, but he/she will settle into routine.

Thanks to all for your comments and the pm's kindly offering advice. Ideally would like to pick up a puppy before the school holidays where they'll be family around all day every day for the first 6 weeks at home. I've four children so lack of stimulation should not be an issue. A cocker spaniel is running as the favourite.

Edited by fitzy

Fenboy talking sense...I work 11hr shifts, my dog is kennelled but spends as much time as possible in the garden with us or out training/exercising. Its not the end of the world a dog being confined for long periods as long as you make the most of the time you have with your dog...

I always like the people who go Oh! No! You can't leave a dog for 8 hours etc etc. do they not sleep of a night time, going to let them out the house every three hours?

Exercise is important but 20 minutes of running around flat out training is more than the dog will do wandering the garden or pen during the day. So it's not a problem really the hours you mention.

Leave an adult Lab for that long and it will likely just have another 40 winks! puppies are different. Its not exercise as much as stimulation mentally a dog in training or being kept sharp / working is always way more stimulated than a pet IMO

You create separation anxiety by not leaving not by leaving