New build punt

Old farrier

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this thread a great read and outstanding skills.

Why did you choice the yellow pine over other choices?

Thanks for your comment

Yellow pine was traditional few timbers are available in plank width and length to enable the building of a punt nowadays

I did consider other materials like plywood and fibreglass

Also aluminium

However this project is for pleasure and a learning curve which led to my choice 😋

And it smells realy nice when you work it

All the best

Of

• 2 weeks later...

Well spent a bit of time sanding and painting 100 years of paint and stuff removed 2coats of primer

7BCC3A48-CBA0-4747-939F-16651667135A_zps

Just incase you thought I've been idle

You have. It was Alix that did all the sanding as he was too dangerous with a hammer :lol:

I remember how much paint was on that punt gun. Glad you didn't give me the emery paper :/

Looking good, keep up the good work :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

You have. It was Alix that did all the sanding as he was too dangerous with a hammer :lol:

I remember how much paint was on that punt gun. Glad you didn't give me the emery paper :/

Looking good, keep up the good work :good:

He could only manage 3 inches at a stroke and not the full length sadly so I put him back on the hammer 😗😋

• 2 weeks later...

How do you think this build has gone compared to your previous one OF ? and is there much difference in the design ?

It's gone ok a few glitches but a good learning curve a fair few design changes the main factor being the shed I've got to store it in that dictates length

The weight of the gun this one is a lot heavier so more displacement required hence a bit more beam and flare

Also increased the curve on the gunbeam and fore deck by 2.1/2 inches

Thanks for your comment hope this helps

All the best

Of

Thanks for your kind comments chaps

There's still a lot to do although We hope to have it in the water

For sea trials in a couple of months

The last picture showed the deck on that's the quick bit it has to be done fast as the glue sets very fast so we pre drilled the holes and glued and screwed it with steel screws 😋

200 of them

Then we took them all out with a cordless driver planed all the joints smooth and countersunk all the holes and put brass screws back in then filled and sanded then filled and sanded again

Ready for the linen to be stretched over the deck on Monday evening 😉

Admirable skill.

It's a great shame there are no outlets for exposure of these more or less forgotten skills and those who have them. I have no doubt the building of such an item would be deemed as 'un-PC' in the eyes of the BBC though I have equally no doubt there is scope for audience (albeit small) interest. I have often lamented the demise of 'Out of Town'.

Admirable skill.

It's a great shame there are no outlets for exposure of these more or less forgotten skills and those who have them. I have no doubt the building of such an item would be deemed as 'un-PC' in the eyes of the BBC though I have equally no doubt there is scope for audience (albeit small) interest. I have often lamented the demise of 'Out of Town'.

Historical reconstruction ?

I believe jack built one 😉 and a wrote a book about it

I could be a TV star no let's not go there

Although I agree there should be more exposure on mainstream TV of all these traditional crafts

All the best

Of