Which gun for a junior

Pirate of Love

Hi guys. My nine year old son is ready to start shooting. He has joint me in the field over the last 18 months and watch me pigeon shooting.

He has also watched me on the clays and I now think he is mature enough and understands gun safety.

I would like to get him shooting clays and joining me in the hide.

I've looked on gun trader and the Yildiz 410 gauge SPZ M seams a good price and size. Are these a good starter gun. Are there other better in this range? I've read mostly good reviews but some not so good.

Also, he is a big 9 year old, should I be looking at one of the larger gauges, or is this the best to start out on.

Is there a gauge between the 410 and 20? Is this worth a look?

Finally, I can only find the Yildiz in the game version. Should I be looking for a sporter, or does it not matter as much in the smaller gauges.

Sorry for so many questions, I've only had experiences with 12 gauges.

Thanks. Pol

i wouldnt worry about game or sporter fit, there probably about the same anyway, there is 28 gauge models out there but not cheap im affraid and also the ammo is not either, stick with the 410, then skip the 20 ga as he grows and go straight for the 12 ga. i still use a 410 and get great results, so dont think its just for the young uns! have fun what ever direction you go.

.410's are light, low-recoiling, but not easy to hit much with.

28 bores pattern better and recoil is light, most manufacturers produce suitablecartridges and they are becoming far more widely available.

20 bores are better still, but the recoil can be a surprise if heavy loads are used, the shot load is less than a twelve but the gun is much lighter; basic physics means the recoil is going to be a problem.

The main issue is that a lad of nine needs to be able to mount and swing the gun correctly, this is difficult with a heavy twelve bore, but he is going to grow! He needs a gun that is light enough to handle, but sufficiently versatile to use when he's older, which is where the twenty, possibly twenty-eight, bores come in.

I bought my son a secondhand Betetta 686 twenty bore, light and beautifully balanced. Light loads ( subsonics) to start, moving up to 21g and now 24g.

I personally don't like 28, 30 or 32 g in a lightweight twenty, they're unpleasant to shoot. We now use the twenty regularly at clay shoots and equal scores with the twelve. Lovely little gun.

.410's are light, low-recoiling, but not easy to hit much with.

28 bores pattern better and recoil is light, most manufacturers produce suitablecartridges and they are becoming far more widely available.

20 bores are better still, but the recoil can be a surprise if heavy loads are used, the shot load is less than a twelve but the gun is much lighter; basic physics means the recoil is going to be a problem.

The main issue is that a lad of nine needs to be able to mount and swing the gun correctly, this is difficult with a heavy twelve bore, but he is going to grow! He needs a gun that is light enough to handle, but sufficiently versatile to use when he's older, which is where the twenty, possibly twenty-eight, bores come in.

I bought my son a secondhand Betetta 686 twenty bore, light and beautifully balanced. Light loads ( subsonics) to start, moving up to 21g and now 24g.

I personally don't like 28, 30 or 32 g in a lightweight twenty, they're unpleasant to shoot. We now use the twenty regularly at clay shoots and equal scores with the twelve. Lovely little gun.

I take issue with this. I think they are simple enough to hit clays with. My Dad taught a youngster to shoot with a .410. The boy shot well with it and became a good all round shot. My lads were recently using an ill fitting moderated Mossberg pump .410 and managed to hit a decent number of birds on the skeet.

Most people are know nothing of the 28g .

And because the 410 was supposed to be a youngsters gauge it has lots of ' my dad taught me to shoot with it' comments. But How many adults would take a 410 on a Driven day ? The 28g will shoot from 14 gram to 28 gram loads, I would not go that heavy as recoil gets a bit harsh, 21 gram to 24 gram will be up to all but the very high birds.

A Child can shoots 100 21 gram clay loads with ease, and the guns smaller than a 20g

Most people are know nothing of the 28g .

And because the 410 was supposed to be a youngsters gauge it has lots of ' my dad taught me to shoot with it' comments. But How many adults would take a 410 on a Driven day ? The 28g will shoot from 14 gram to 28 gram loads, I would not go that heavy as recoil gets a bit harsh, 21 gram to 24 gram will be up to all but the very high birds.

A Child can shoots 100 21 gram clay loads with ease, and the guns smaller than a 20g

Grant a 28 bore is smaller than a 20 bore if built on a true 28 bore action, but in my experience a 28 bore OU is to heavy for most 9 year olds.

I own and coach with 410s, 28s, 20s and 12s. A short stock short barreled open choked 410 is a great teaching tool but use achievable targets!

Motty

Perhaps I should have stressed, I can't hit anything with a .410.

In fact, I can't hit much with a 20. Or a 12.

Nah, agree with you, there's a lady we know who wipes the floor with the Blokes, using an O/U .410, I just think that a twenty is a better bet for a growing lad.

I don't want to tread on WW's toes, I know Daf and he is a great Bloke.

I am based just off the M25 at Borehamwood "A1 Shooting Ground" Where are you in Essex ?

Drop me a PM if you want to come along, I have 410-28-20 all in Junior sizes.

Cheers

Terry

There was another thread elsewhere recently about this. I said get a Yildiz 28 gauge there, and I say it again here.

One thing worth mentioning about the Yildiz SPZM (in any gauge) is that much of the action is made out of machined aluminium, which makes for a very light gun indeed. I think my 28ga Yildiz weighs just over 5lbs - much easier for a youngster than some others. Couple that with the Lyalvale 14 gram #9 cartridges and you have a good combination for a beginner. 21g of #6 for field work.

Oh - and my 28ga cartridges cost 10p per box more than my 12ga cartridges, so don't let the price worry you. Consider it an investment in the youngster's future. :)

Edited by neutron619

There was another thread elsewhere recently about this. I said get a Yildiz 28 gauge there, and I say it again here.

One thing worth mentioning about the Yildiz SPZM (in any gauge) is that much of the action is made out of machined aluminium, which makes for a very light gun indeed. I think my own 28ga weighs just over 5lbs - much easier for a youngster than some others. Couple that with the Lyalvale 14 gram #9 cartridges and you have a good combination for a beginner. 21g of #6 for field work.

Oh - and my 28ga cartridges cost 10p per box more than my 12ga cartridges, so don't let the price worry you. Consider it an investment in the youngster's future. :)

I am doing exactly as stated here. Top advice.