land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cebora are top units - often re branded by Snap-on, BOC, Taskmaster etc. (showing my age here :unhappy: ) I can weld really thin (thinner than car panels) with a double shunt MMA - Arc Welder but Inverters have come on leaps & bounds in recent years so well worth a look :):good:

if you are after a good mig that will last have a look at these guys

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding-equipment/mig-welder/

cheers fruitloop ill have a look at that :good:

IMO, if you want a MIG for general mild steel welding on your landy, I would recomend one of about 140 - 160 amps, preferably fan cooled and stick to CO2 for the sheilding gas as you have access to it from the club. Just get an appropriate regulator for the cylinder and off you go. Agreed, argon mix would give better results, but do you want the hassle and cost of getting a cylinder that needs a rental contract with BOC or the like and I doubt you would really notice the difference in performance. I have had a 120 amp mig with CO2 at home for over 25 years and it has served me well on projects like yours, just remember to take the wire out and store it somewere warm and dry during long periods of no use.

i like the sound of that mate, sounds nice and simple for me to start with, like i say its just for a bit of a practice, knowing me ill have ago for an hour and get fed up with it so cheaper and less hassle the better for the time being :yes:

Any prices on that, i cancelled my BOC contract 3 years ago on my oxy acetelene

i looked at hobby weld the bottles were £55 deposit for as long as you like and £35 to have it filled/changed for another full one, not sure what size was though. :good:

beat me to it :lol:

Just to add - if you are ever thinking of welding aluminum get the right gear now - I find that a "dark art" you need to a 3rd sense where the weld pool is :ninja::lol: :lol:

not just yet tam, one thing at once :lol:

Any prices on that, i cancelled my BOC contract 3 years ago on my oxy acetelene

i would be interested on that as well...at the moment i pay £50.00 / mth for 2 bottles oxy/acty.......

£50 a month who is that with !!! as I have a contract with energas and that only costs me £65 a year per midi bottle and then £40 per fill for mig gas and £48 per fill for pure argon. I got rid of my oxy kit and got a plasma instead .

I went with them as the places like hobbyweld only fills to 170bar and are half the diameter end energas fill to 230bar so you get 4 times the gas for the same money.

and there a national company so you can pop in and pick up a replacement rather than wait for delivery in the post.

http://www.energas.co.uk/

as for the r tech welders there made in the uk and there back up is absolutely top of the game. I have one of there migs and was so impressed with it I had a ac/dc tig set off them for doing alli both are 240v .

Edited by fruitloop

just out of interest what is it you are planning on welding chassis or just odd bits and bobs with no load bearing on them . ive used similar units and you don't get the adjustment on them and after about 30min of welding the thermal cut out kicks in

can you have one where you have a choice of gas or no gas or is it one or the other??

You should have a choice. On many units there will be 2 grooves on the wire feed roller, 0.6 & 0.8 on mine. Simply turn it round so you could use 0.6 wire + gas or 0.8 flux cored for gas-less. I still prefer the free or £10 per change option for CO2 cylinders over all...but I am a tightwad though!

co2 is ok but it makes you welder work harder because you need to turn the output up to get the same penetration but add a little as 5%argon to it and you get a smoother and hotter weld for less power . like with tig alli if you add a little helium to the argon or do pure helium you get more penetration for less amps .if I can remember right the flux cored is 0.9 min diameter

but you are right about the rollers they come in 0.6-0.8 and 1-1.2mm and make shore you change them over to the right diameter or you will not get the right tension to push the wire or you will kink it.

£50 a month who is that with !!! as I have a contract with energas and that only costs me £65 a year per midi bottle and then £40 per fill for mig gas and £48 per fill for pure argon. I got rid of my oxy kit and got a plasma instead .

I went with them as the places like hobbyweld only fills to 170bar and are half the diameter end energas fill to 230bar so you get 4 times the gas for the same money.

and there a national company so you can pop in and pick up a replacement rather than wait for delivery in the post.

http://www.energas.co.uk/

as for the r tech welders there made in the uk and there back up is absolutely top of the game. I have one of there migs and was so impressed with it I had a ac/dc tig set off them for doing alli both are 240v .

Air Products...............one full size oxy one full size acty........its a bit pricey as i dont use it too quick........when i change the bots i will go down to half size and the price will drop a fair bit.....

just out of interest what is it you are planning on welding chassis or just odd bits and bobs with no load bearing on them . ive used similar units and you don't get the adjustment on them and after about 30min of welding the thermal cut out kicks in

im planning on welding anything i can get my hands on mate, will be going know where near the land rover with it, :good:

You should have a choice. On many units there will be 2 grooves on the wire feed roller, 0.6 & 0.8 on mine. Simply turn it round so you could use 0.6 wire + gas or 0.8 flux cored for gas-less. I still prefer the free or £10 per change option for CO2 cylinders over all...but I am a tightwad though!

i like the sound of the free co2 option too, and being from yorkshire im a bit of a tightwad too :lol: Edited by viking

its not much but track rod has now been filled,sanded down and sprayed, just did it to so what it would be like, much better than before when it was all pitted, will have to do the others now, should of done axles too i think but to late now there in place, :good:

post-9513-0-92045500-1452877060_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-71086600-1452877082_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-72994300-1452877130_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-60459200-1452877185_thumb.jpg

hard one to answer i know but how long/hours welding would a pub size co2 bottle last, pretty sure there 10ltr

There are better qualified people to answer that than me....but i would guess 3 or more hrs providing you use a simple cheap flowmeter........

cheers ditchman that guesstimate will do for me as i wasnt sure if it would last 1 hour or 12 hours :good:

i based my estimate against those small cheap bottles (throwaway) you get from machinemarte.........they will last if you are lucky 5-10 mins maximum