Adjustable stocks

ChrisAsh

Not much point then is there as it normally only costs about £40-50 to have your fixed gun adjusted at a gunsmith for fit

You can set up your own sight picture rather than relying on someone else's idea of what you like. You can also tweak the initial set up after shooting until you are happy.

Not too sure what kind of service you get for a £40 to £50 Gun fit but if they are bending the stock it can spring back over time. If they are removing wood and the alterations don't suit you are kind of stuck with it.

For that kind of price you are not getting someone to spend the day watching you shoot at targets and /or a pattern plate then carrying out the work to adjust.

How a gun feels in the shop doesn't always translate to how it feels when out shooting.

For a lot of shooters that know what they want feel wise and are prepared to spend time shooting at few clays just to set it up, an adjustable is ideal and cheaper than what would be classed as a 'proper' gun fitting.

I prefer adjustable combs for a few reasons.

Firstly on a modern OU it adds value and bending from factory seems to reduce value.

Secondly there is a chance of snapping a stock whilst bending and the client bares that risk.

Thirdly it's easier to alter the comb in fractions as I fit the gun to someone.

As for not a propped gun fit for £40-50 I don't agree you can get a full gun fit for £35 per hour plus clay and cartridges that includes pattern plates and shooting as long as you want.

I prefer adjustable combs for a few reasons.

Firstly on a modern OU it adds value and bending from factory seems to reduce value.

Secondly there is a chance of snapping a stock whilst bending and the client bares that risk.

Thirdly it's easier to alter the comb in fractions as I fit the gun to someone.

As for not a propped gun fit for £40-50 I don't agree you can get a full gun fit for £35 per hour plus clay and cartridges that includes pattern plates and shooting as long as you want.

:yes: Spot on, very tiny changes to the comb which don't actually mean much fit wise can make the recoil phase much smoother to live with. I personally wouldn't be without one since a recoil reducer is a given for me and I prefer the 2nd stage treatment too which requires a sliding comb piece. :)

Edited by Hamster

My post was in relation to the op saying that there is no point in an adjustable stock you can get a fixed stocked fitted including adjustment work to the gun for £40 to £50.

While I agree you can get a gun fitted for £35 per hour you cannot, however, shoot for as long as you want if the total fitting price is £40 to £50. Once the hour is up you have £5 to £15 left to pay for bending or physically modifying the fixed stock.

There is also no money left for a further visit to check the alterations work, so IMHO you are not going to get a fixed stocked gun fitted properly for £40 to £50.

An adjustable yes you can but that wasn't what we were talking about in my post it was £40 to £50 on a fixed stock gun.

My post was in relation to the op saying that there is no point in an adjustable stock you can get a fixed stocked fitted including adjustment work to the gun for £40 to £50.

While I agree you can get a gun fitted for £35 per hour you cannot, however, shoot for as long as you want if the total fitting price is £40 to £50. Once the hour is up you have £5 to £15 left to pay for bending or physically modifying the fixed stock.

There is also no money left for a further visit to check the alterations work, so IMHO you are not going to get a fixed stocked gun fitted properly for £40 to £50.

An adjustable yes you can but that wasn't what we were talking about in my post it was £40 to £50 on a fixed stock gun.

You've read his post differently to me I believe he mean you can have a gunsmith put your dimensions on a gun for £40-£50 not a gun fit session

Welshwarrior, Many thanks that was what i intended.

I have been looking at a gun with adjustable stock, but significant price difference between with and without so considering both options, At present i shoot unmounted at clay's and don't find any problems and could easily carry the dimensions over to any other gun, but a bit like chokes its easy to feel that i might just turn into a tweeker rather than just keep all things standard

One thing I will say £40-£50 will be per bend so if cast and drop need changing that's 2 bends.

So £80-100.

£40-50 is quite cheap to bend a stock well, normally nearer £75 plus from what I've seen so £150 with an OU and stock bolt.

But you then can't tweak the set up as your body changes shape and therefore gun fit changes. So it's a rebend task. Also some guns move back to where they want to be and not the shooter taste.

One thing I will say £40-£50 will be per bend so if cast and drop need changing that's 2 bends.

So £80-100.

£40-50 is quite cheap to bend a stock well, normally nearer £75 plus from what I've seen so £150 with an OU and stock bolt.

But you then can't tweak the set up as your body changes shape and therefore gun fit changes. So it's a rebend task. Also some guns move back to where they want to be and not the shooter taste.

That is exactly what I said in my first post that you seemed to disagree with.

You are not going to get what would be classed as a 'proper' gun fitting on a fixed stock gun for £40 to £50. Now you are saying is normally nearer £75 to £150 which I would agree with, maybe a bit more depending on the reputation and workload of the gunsmith.

Slightly confused as to why you originally disagreed with me.

No your talking about gun fitting and alterations I the op is talking about alteration to a gun to make it fit.

I have said

A gun fit can cost £40-50 I do it regularly

The op is saying the bending of a stock to fit is around £40-50 pounds. I'm saying it's likely to be more in my experience.

I'm not disagreeing with you that to have a good gun fit session and alter the gun to fit will be more than £40-50 but only your talking about it not the OP who I've been replying to.

No I was actually making two points in my original post.

"Not too sure what kind of service you get for a £40 to £50 Gun fit but if they are bending the stock it can spring back over time. If they are removing wood and the alterations don't suit you are kind of stuck with it."

Which was aimed solely at physically altering the gun to measurements alone and meaning I doubt you will get it done properly for that cost.

Then;

"For a lot of shooters that know what they want feel wise and are prepared to spend time shooting at few clays just to set it up, an adjustable is ideal and cheaper than what would be classed as a 'proper' gun fitting."

This is highlighting the difference in price between the two concepts of fixed and adjustable, proper gun fitting I take to mean the whole job including the price of alteration as a set of measurements are absolutely useless unless you get your gun made to them at some point.

I assumed when you posted "As for not a propped gun fit for £40-50 I don't agree you can get a full gun fit for £35 per hour plus clay and cartridges that includes pattern plates and shooting as long as you want." You were disagreeing with both my points.

Seems you are not disagreeing as I never mentioning just getting measurements alone as I class that as half a gun fit not the total price for a full gun fit.

But now I understand the confusion.

Ok I we'll have to disagree on the term proper gun fit being measurements and alterations.

I know very very few gun fitters who alter stock and I know very few gun smiths (stockers) who gun fit.

A gun fit is getting to a set of measurements this involves pattern plates clays and often a try gun when done properly. I believe that's an industry standard term (certainly all the grounds and places I gun fit)

To have a gun altered to those measurement is a different task entirely.

Don't have to disagree as in my posts I said "a proper gun fitting", not "proper gun fit". Fitting does imply it will have some alterations done to it as in a suit fitting and my gun has been fitted to me.

I agree "gun fit" just mean the measurements, however I took "you can get a full gun fit" to mean it covers everything and the gun now fits me due to using the word full as it implies you can have a part gun fit which I assumed you meant just the measurements.

It's completely irrelevant as most people would want to know the full cost anyway not just one part of getting the gun fitted to them, as I said getting a set of measurements is absolutely no benefit to your shooting if you just stick them in a draw never to be used.

That was the context of my original post as read in full, you are not going to get a fixed stocked gun fitted to you for £40 to £50, you might get the measurements or a cheap bend job on the stock in one direction but what use are they in isolation.

I only commented on your post in the first place because I couldn't understand the confusion between us, now I can.

Edited by timps

I tried blowing up the picture, but haven't enough expertise. Should have guessed from the background - 250 seniors?

Leigh Club appear to have taken over Charnock Richard.

Sorry to digress from the topic, but I saw a KTM 450, with a CR 500 engine. Quite fancy building one, as the aluminium framed jobs seem to have a few disadvantages.