Duck call recommendation for beginner

Proudly

I`m with Smokersmith on this one.

Irrespective of the type of call you buy, it will take some time, and a lot of practice, to become proficient in it`s use.

I`m sorry to say that you cannot simply pick up a call for the first time and expect to bring in ducks with it.

A badly blown duck call is worse than useless.

Agree with everything said above. I've had a duck call in my car for the last year and half, practice every time I drive to and from work. Only now am I beginning to get close to something that sounds like a quack.

But sounding like a duck is only half if it. Knowing when and when not to call is another skill in itself to master.

DJ Calls (Olt) "Sonderman 66" single reed call. Tried and tested since 1966 and quiet simple to use with a bit of practice.

For the 'Quack' say quick whilst blowing into the call.

For the 'Chatter' say tica - tica -tica -tica in a breathy blow. Start by practicing this slowly say the word with emphasis on the T and the C and the gradually build up the speed. Once to have the speed you can then start varying the volume.

As others have said, knowing when to call and when to stop are as equally as important as getting the correct sounds.

Edited by Penelope

I have a lot of success calling duck and geese by mouth , though it usually works best on windy days or in poor light. But as I get older I find hitting the right pitch more difficult in cold weather so have started to use calls in recent years with mixed success. Yesterday on the Washes , I called around a nice bunch of mallard that intending to land a few hundred yards away with a DJ Sonderman which produced a cracking drake mallard.

Calling can be more effictive it two fowlers are using differently tuned calls at the same time. Last season I was using my high pitched pink call ( realy a snow goose call ) while a mate was using a deep pitched grey goose call. The results were amazing. We saw about eight small bunches of pinks and every one responded to the calling giving one or the other of us a shot.

For me the rules of calling are do not over call , only call at birds that look interested and keep well out of sight.

Edited by anser2

Motty - I try but it rarely seems to work.

Widgeon are easy because I can whistle with my fingers and that does work quite well. Mud on the hands doesn't help the call or the flavour!

I have good goose calls. The pinkfoot ones are particularly good.

A crow call I found seems to be right.

Whatever you use it takes a lot of practice.

Got a mate called David who can charm pinks out of the sky as if by magic. Have tried to emulate him but it never sounds quite right.

Motty - I try but it rarely seems to work.

Widgeon are easy because I can whistle with my fingers and that does work quite well. Mud on the hands doesn't help the call or the flavour!

I have good goose calls. The pinkfoot ones are particularly good.

A crow call I found seems to be right.

Whatever you use it takes a lot of practice.

Got a mate called David who can charm pinks out of the sky as if by magic. Have tried to emulate him but it never sounds quite right.

Would that be Mr Dupear ?