Ear plugs

Shooterluke

Hi

Im after some plugs (in ear if possible ) nothing cheap but nothing heavy on the pocket .

I struggle to hold my concentration when on a stand at a clay shoot whn people are talking ,laughing behind me just want some one to recomend me some plugs what will cancel that out if possible any users no of any or wear some thanks luke

I use Emtec noisebreakers for all of my shooting, whether it be down at the clay club, in the pigeon hide, rough shooting or on a pheasant day. 90 quid moulded to your ear.

Obviously there are over-the-ear defenders which are much cheaper and electronic plugs which are far, far more expensive, but these strike a nice balance for me between price and comfort and protection.

I'm a spectacles wearer, which is why the muffs are a literally a pain.

Despite them, I still miss clays, pigeons and pheasants without breaking a sweat, all day long.

Edited by Flynn

CENS passive ~£100 + fitting and you are good to go. You can ignore unwanted conversations and become oblivious to shots going off.

If needed you can wear them permanently and ignore swmbo. Just tell her that they are so comfortable that you forgot to take them out. Only works once mind!

Mick

Just Got another pair of fitted moulded one's with built in filters from (ultimate hearing protection)

I bought my first set from these 4 yrs ago and worth every penny of the £100 they cost then

And still £100 for new ones and they replaced the fillters in my old ones for free

You don't get service like that much these days

Don't know how desperate you are but most of bigger game fairs and the shooting show in Feb will have several people

Selling fitted one's

I like the noise breakers but does anyone else find if you smile or laugh whilst wearing them it breaks the seal and let's the noise in.

I initially found that when I lifted the gun and got a good solid cheek weld, the pressure on my cheek would move my ear a little and make the plug feel like it was coming loose; same effect as you - cracking the seal, so to speak. I was disappointed but elected to just live with it .

However, I've since found that it was me not actually putting the mould in correctly. I insert the ear canal bit into the appropriate cavity but I then make sure that the rest of the ear mould it actually sitting in my ear shape. Tricky to describe but I basically slide my finger around the external part of my ear, above the ear canal and make sure that all of the crinkly bits have a piece of of the fitting in them - effectively making sure that the external ear is holding the entire mould in the right place. This makes the plug much more comfortable and means it absolutely does not move, shift, break the seal or generally give me any grief when I'm walking, beating, shooting, whatever.

I can wear my noisebreakers for hours on end, in total comfort ,whereas after an hour or so of them not being fully seated, they'd start to get irritating. Now, I can't feel them after wearing them for 10 minutes.

Serious question. All these in-ear moulded plugs seem very good but what if you've hairy ears? Doesn't the silicone (when setting) adhere to the hairs making removal at least very painful?

I don't think I have hairy ears but I don't think it'd be an issue to be honest. When you're being fitted, they slide a small foam pad deep into the canal (really deep - don't try this at home!) with a couple of threads (much like a tea-bag) to remove the entire thing. Then an expanding foam style material is squirted into the canal and around your outer ear to get the precise shape. The foam is then sent off to make a mould and the silicon plug is made from this mould. Any ear hair doesn't stick to the expanding foam and it just gets pushed flat when you insert the silicon plus and pops back into place when you remove them.

If you're after some moulded plugs and this is putting you off, rest assured - it won't be an issue.

Edited by Flynn