HOW MUCH MARK UP IN SHOTGUN CARTRIDGES

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I believe that when I asked my local supplier he said 2% Markup, and that barely covers him unloading it from the truck and stacking the shelves. Basically he reckons as most people come into the shop to buy cartridges these sell relatively quickly and so turnover wise it stacks up, but not without the work. The same can be said for guns, I know there is generally only 5% markup on new guns although, I have seen guns been brought in second hand, chap offered £3-500 part excahnge or £2-400 straight sale, only to find the gun back on the rack the following week with a £300 markup on it.

SS

I believe that when I asked my local supplier he said 2% Markup, and that barely covers him unloading it from the truck and stacking the shelves. Basically he reckons as most people come into the shop to buy cartridges these sell relatively quickly and so turnover wise it stacks up, but not without the work. The same can be said for guns, I know there is generally only 5% markup on new guns although, I have seen guns been brought in second hand, chap offered £3-500 part excahnge or £2-400 straight sale, only to find the gun back on the rack the following week with a £300 markup on it.

SS

A while back i had a Baikal single which was not worth keeping and i mentioned to a dealer that i was going to take it to the police station for chopping. He asked if i would drop it round to him as he would strip it for spares. A couple of days later it was up for sale, 40quid.

Its called buisiness.

:/ 'fraid so, they aren't charities run for just for us . .

I wasnt looking for charity. I would sooner have taken the gun for chopping.

but if he was going to sell it he should have offered him say £10- £20 this would still be profit to him and his customers wouldn't feel like they had been taken for a ride

Its called buisiness.

:lol: 'fraid so, they aren't charities run for just for us . .

I wasnt looking for charity. I would sooner have taken the gun for chopping.

but if he was going to sell it he should have offered him say £10- £20 this would still be profit to him and his customers wouldn't feel like they had been taken for a ride

I was`nt bothered about making any money really, i just thought i was helping the guy out with some spares. I considered it was a sharp practice. If he had been honest from the start and said he might try and sell it, and if so, there would be a couple of boxes of carts in it, then that would have been fine.

I was a regular customer, but the above and the fact that there was often no stock in of the things i wanted, i started to go more to another dealer.

I can't believt there is so little mark up in cartridges, look at the american websites. How can british loaded shells be cheaper in the USA than here. It is another case of rip off britain. My local gunshop is possibly the cheapest in Essex and he drives a brand new Range Rover Sport.

Someone is making money somewhere and we are being fleeced as usual. I certainly wouldn't bother unloading the lorry for 2-3%

Come on guys let’s get real. The price of cartridges (standard 12 bore type) is currently about £140/£150 per 1000 depending on the brand and the retailer. That’s around .14p/.15p each. Now given that the average shooter on here (and this is by your own admissions not mine) shoots about 10-20 cartridges on an average outing that’s around £1.50-£3.00 per day. Even if you’re a Top Gunners it’s unlikely you’re spending over £80 a day on your cartridges. :lol: If that isn’t value for money I don’t know what sport will give you better unless maybe you’re a (sad ***) train spotter and only need to buy a cheap anorak!

BTW I understand the price is due to rise even further so for all you cheapskates out there get on down to your gun store and stock up NOW.

I have to say I don't know what retailers are paying for cartridges but I do know that by shopping round locally I can save £20 off a thousand cartridges so somewhere there are retailers making a lot more than 2-3% and at least 20% as thats the saving I've made by shopping round. Personally I'd be sceptical about believing the 2-3% margin as how do companies like Just Cartridges stay in business at that rate they'd need to sell arctic loads of cartridges to stay in business.

Highlander,

I am not whinging at all, after all I invest in expensive metals, I have 40 Hevi shot in my garage. :lol:

I am just saying that whatever way you look at it, retailers are making far more money than 2-3% and as usual the average man is being overcharged. If I didn't like it then I don't have to shoot but I enjoy what I do and to a point cost doesn't come in to it. I have nothing against anyone making a fair living.

believe it or not there really is very little proffit in cartridges. i used to fetch them direct from express and elley ten thousand at a time and recieve the max discount. but by the time youve factured in your time and the diesel and the physical effort of loading and unloading, it is just as cheap and far more convienient to buy them from your local gunshop.

I know bullets for the .222 have about a 50% markup.

thats the strange thing most shop items do have that sort of mark up, I know Musto gear is 40% profit to the re-tailer as I can get it direct at the same discount. Cartridges are one of those things I'd be surprised if re-tailers were selling for no money but I guess it does get you through the door

I know bullets for the .222 have about a 50% markup.

thats the strange thing most shop items do have that sort of mark up, I know Musto gear is 40% profit to the re-tailer as I can get it direct at the same discount. Cartridges are one of those things I'd be surprised if re-tailers were selling for no money but I guess it does get you through the door

I won't disappoint you then, by saying I got the full length boots, breeks, waistcoat, socks for £180 Retail value of £600 <_<:blush:

I got MC the Clay Shooting jacket and a pair of ladies boots for something ridiculous too.

Helps when you're working in the main office building their new showroom, and the financial director is an ex everton player that knew I was into shooting and supporting Everton.

Unfortunately I have now changed companies and I can only now get 55% discount, but haven't been able to get much since the company was recently sold, no longer owned by Keith and his son Nigel Musto. I have to say that Keith is a top bloke, who was always friendly and stopped to say hello and ask how things were going, not bad for a bloke who is a celebrity in terms of the sailing fraternity and multi millionnaire to boot.

SS

• 9 months later...

Prices have risen so fast that there are unrepeatable bargains sitting on dealers shelves - stock they have had a few months may still be priced according to what they paid, not the current replacement prices.

If you see 500 shells for £49-00, the dealer can't replace them for that.

To put it in perspective

If a gun shop ordered 30,000 HVExpress 7.5 cartridges from Express at current list price, paid COD for them ( thats nearly £4500 with carriage and vat to be paid up front), and then retailed them at £150-00 a thousand they would only be making 10% on the factory 30k COD price. If the dealer bought smaller quantities on 30 day terms, their return would be 3% on capital at that price.

There really is very little return or profit on carts sold by the 1000 /- the only reasonable return is on boxes of 25 sold at £5-00 at shoots etc