HOW MUCH MARK UP IN SHOTGUN CARTRIDGES

We all hear the moans and groans from our dealers regarding profit in guns and ammunition, just wondered what is actually in it. I went to pick up 8500 cartridges yesterday ( for a group of us) and my shop said they could not give any discount cos there is just not any profit in cartridges at all now.

I cant believe this is true for one minute, as at the end of the day you don't sell something for nothing do you?

Regards starlight32

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all hear the moans and groans from our dealers regarding profit in guns and ammunition, just wondered what is actually in it. I went to pick up 8500 cartridges yesterday ( for a group of us) and my shop said they could not give any discount cos there is just not any profit in cartridges at all now.

I cant believe this is true for one minute, as at the end of the day you don't sell something for nothing do you?

Regards starlight32

Next time you need such a big quantity, try phoning a manufacturer direct. I beleive you could get a direct delivery if you ordered 10,000 - and that's not much more than your order.

Very little mark up.

They are heavy, a pain in the *** to move about, sell quick so it's constant delivery, into the stock room, carry them out again. They cost a fortune to deliver and move about.

A local chap I trust once levelled with me and told me at the price he was doing me on 1000 he would make £4 - but that wasn't counting manpower to take in the delivery, stock it up or anything else. Purely price he paid against price he sold them to me.

Very little mark up.

They are heavy, a pain in the *** to move about, sell quick so it's constant delivery, into the stock room, carry them out again. They cost a fortune to deliver and move about.

A local chap I trust once levelled with me and told me at the price he was doing me on 1000 he would make £4 - but that wasn't counting manpower to take in the delivery, stock it up or anything else. Purely price he paid against price he sold them to me.

Depends Pin. My local shop wanted to charge £45 for 250 Eley Grand Prix 6s.

I’m pretty sure they are a lot cheaper than that to buy anywhere else. :good:

G.M.

Yes, you are right some places mark them up horribly. I have had someone try and tell me 500 plastic wad express hi-velocity in 7.5 shot would cost me £74. Horrendously over-priced. I can get 500 of those for £49 locally..

Yes, you are right some places mark them up horribly. I have had someone try and tell me 500 plastic wad express hi-velocity in 7.5 shot would cost me £74. Horrendously over-priced. I can get 500 of those for £49 locally..

Blimey, stick me down for a couple of thousand

Where, where? Give us names. :good:

The mark up on cartridges IS abysmal as it is with certain other shooting products. That's where pile it high sell it cheap comes in. Shops that mark 'em up with the same margin as they expect to make on most of their other ranges don't sell too many.

The prices have been rising lately and if you can still get 1000 of a reasonable cartridge for £100 I'd recommend you buy the whole stock, they ain't gonna get cheaper!

I'm told the far east are buying up all the brass and lead..

Threr ain't much brass in shotgun cartridges these days.

The last world cup I bought (2 days ago ) were £151 per thousand, a month before that they were £138.

Regards starlight32

what do you pay down there.

I am paying £108 per thou for victory fibre.

£108 per thou fibre.

£110 per thou gamebore fibre.

I think it depends where you are and how much they can sting you for.

a local gunshop to me sells gamebore at £140 per thou and says there's no profit in them. HU,

Another thing you never considered, is the fact that if you consider the little shelving space cartridges require and most gunshops are quite small, they probably make a few contribution per square foot of floor space in comparision to many other merchandise!!!

? Doesn't make sense

Cartridges take up little space on shelves compared to guns and sell in high volume. Therefore, per square metre of shoopfloor they probably generate quite a lot of revenue. As most gunshops are quite small this is espically important as they want to maximise their scarce resources, which is floorspace. Hence why picking goods that produce a higher combination per sqm to deliver the highest profit in total.

? Doesn't make sense

Cartridges take up little space on shelves compared to guns and sell in high volume. Therefore, per square metre of shoopfloor they probably generate quite a lot of revenue. As most gunshops are quite small this is espically important as they want to maximise their scarce resources, which is floorspace. Hence why picking goods that produce a higher combination per sqm to deliver the highest profit in total.

Sorry i disagree, i have seen into a few gunshops backrooms and they are packed full of cartridges, i have seen staff moving them to get to the other products or jumping over them

I knew someone who had a Gunshop. It's a few years ago. He told me he made £3 per thousand and had to haul them up from the cellar. Only reason he sold them was that customers came for them and may buy something else. If he didn't stock them - they would go elsewhere.

Yes thats another good point, how many times have you gone in for ammo but came out with something else you don't need!? Not only are cartridges necessary they lead onto additional sales as someone may come in to buy ammo and check out the guns or buy a shooting vest etc. When you think about it beating how much stockroom space do these shops need? all the guns are on display clothing and decoys, lamps and mods take little room etc and sell few in a week?

I knew someone who had a Gunshop. It's a few years ago. He told me he made £3 per thousand and had to haul them up from the cellar. Only reason he sold them was that customers came for them and may buy something else. If he didn't stock them - they would go elsewhere.

:good: This is exactly what a few shops tell me.

Carts take up HUGE amounts of space. Take your average shop with for the sake of it 100 clay shooters needing 250 shells a month. That's like 3/4 of a ton of stock to lump in off the truck, store and then carry out again.

all the guns are on display

There are a surpising amount of guns that shops just dont have space on the shop floor for. I was talking to a RFD a while back and asked about a rough gun he said that he has over 200 guns that arnt on the shop floor, but he still didnt have anything that would suit as he sold about 40 of the tattiest guns to another dealer earlier that week :good::yes:

You are lucky to make 5% on cartridges. If you don't want to pay £45 carraige charge then you have to order a full pallet of 28,000.

As people have stated on here most dealers wouldn't bother stocking so many makes if it didn't attract customers.

With one person moving a full pallet it takes about an hour, takes up a load of room and ****** all money in it.

When i was an RFD during the season we would sell approx 60,000 cartridges a week, RC, Eley, Hull, Viri, G/Bore, Rottweil etc. A lot of manpower went into lugging these about all the time.

The Americans are paying almost the same in dollars as we do in Sterling. So someone somewhere is making a lot of dosh and I don't think you have to look any further than No 10 'lets tax the **** out of everything' Downing st.

I'm afraid Pointers right - $40 per 250 on average and they'll deliver to your front door :good: