What SG is best for Wildfowling?

brindle92

Evening people, sorry if this is long winded I use to shoot when 18 and used a Baikal over and under d/trigger and loved it but could never rember if it was steel proofed? Now I'm 23 and getting my SGC I'm really serious about getting into Wildfowling and I am going to be doing a try day at GWA in Feb if all goes well.

But I'm now thinking of a decent shotgun I'm hearing mixed reviews off people, some are saying use a old gun which you don't mind damaged which made me think a Baikal? But then others are saying use a 12g with a 3.5 inch chamber which with my budget of £400 I could get the Winchester sxp Wildfowling and home reload carts.

So if anyone could give guidance on a decent Wildfowling gun? Which I can still use in summer for pigeons would appreciate it,

Many thanks!

The best one is one that you can shoot well with and that is reliable , shots can be few and far between and when you get a chance to want a gun that goes bang !

I have heard mixed reviews on the sxp and there has been a safety recall on them , so if you buy S/H ensure its been looked at.

If you can up your budget slightly to £500-£550 you should be able to pick up a S/H winchester SX3 which would be a better gun both for fowling and pigeon shooting.

well I liked the idea of an old side by side but none are steel proofed and even home reloading bismuth carts is scary money :0 but I think the Baikal semi might be way forward let's hope the ban on semi auto weapons doesn't go through!

The Baikal semi would be good for your budget. Also, you could consider a magnum sxs. It doesn't necessarily have to be steel proofed.

Now I'm lost with what gun can take steel? A quick look on gun trader and there zabala 3" magnum for £200! Mint looking a 10 bores for £400 but am I being stupid? As a mate who is a gamekeeper says I worry too much he shoots steel through any gun he has and he says it's fine but I'm just not sure:o

I have an sxp. Good gun, it got recalled and has now been sorted. My mate uses a benelli supernova. Also a great gun. I have used many 12bores as well as a 10bore and 8bore for wildfowling and I have to say the sxp is isn't favourite by a long way.

Last trip out a couple of weeks ago on the way out I went **** over tit into the bog. Gun also went a foot down into the bog. Still Worked perfectly and bagged 9 mallard.

As you have no definate make model or type of shotgun in mind, i would say for your first gun go with a what you know and whats about, that mp153 is a good choice.

You have used Baikal over and under, and if you are determined to go breach opening these regardless of model will have hard chrome bores so are on for steel.

Now the earlier 610s 611s and 627s had fixed chokes and were 2 3/4 inch only, the later versions have 3 inch chambers and multi chokes (true choke threads ) So realisticaly the latter models are a better choice for your needs in wildfowling in these doubles .

Now the fact you know of a MP153 and it is inside your budget, myself i wouyld say go for that they are reliable strong and i like the way they handle dispite the fact they weigh a few oz more than the more exotic of the european offerings.

Plain simple reliable and you know where there is one, go for the mp153.

Edited by TONY R

For a start you dont need a 3&1/2 inch chamber gun a 3inch will do just as good only advantage to the 3&1/2 is a few extra shot in the pattern.

There are a few sxs guns that are suitable especially if you can find them in either 1/4&1/2 or 1/2&1/2 chokes are guns like the aya number 3, zabala, yildiz laurona. All can be picked up for around 200+ pound mark and there 3 inch magnum proofed. And if the chokes are at least half chokes you can use steel through them.

I used to own a aya num3 and shot really well with it and shot some impressive geese with it and i dont half regret selling it now.

But if you are after a more modern gun especially a auto try the hatsans, revo or armsan guns again there cheap chearfull and do the job.

I should go auto over a pump. Often shooting the likes of teal flashing over the decoys you simply won't get more than one shot off without much practice while they are still in range with a pump

Gas op over recoil op

Nowt wrong with double guns and a very clean solid magnum is a great budget buy but be choosy only buy the best example if you take this route