first foxing rifle

MGMPEST

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I was shooting 300-400 Fox's between harvest and when the crops got to tall in those years I used many different calibres in .22 including .243 .25-06 and even shot some with a .300 Win-Mag.

My finding's lamping Fox's are between 80- 150 yrd is where most are shot a 200 yrd shot at night is a long shot even using high end NV which I have and use.

As already stated I've owned and used .222-.223-.22-250 and .220 Swift which killed the further or best !!!!! None they all killed the same range but I will admit the 22-250- .220 Swift did do something the .222-.223 did not due set ever dog barking and woke people up when I took a shot even with the rifles being moderated .

Did or have I had a Fox run yes I did with all calibres apart from .300 Win-Mag

My best night was 52 Fox's from a large rubbish dump and surrounding farmland

Ammunition used 50gr Polymer Tips in .22 75gr Polymer Tips in .25-06 and 125gr Polymer Tips in the .300 Win-Mag

52 in one night .....wow, that is a massive amount.

The 22250 is loud with mod and gates of hell opening loud without but where i shoot is no where near any houses, probably 5 mile to the nearest street light of any kind so noise is not a problem. I use 50g poly tip or 55 same tip and it is either dead very occasionaly downed and going nowhere or a miss ! I don't shoot at every fox i see and the majority are about 170 - 180 yards but have taken them at 300+ just depends if the conditions are right but i will say it again never hit a fox with the 22.250 and seen it run away.

Hi

I have a 223 and load my own bullets I use a starlight arrow with the new dragon fly.

For me this is a really good combination.

Nice to see your abiding by the conditions on your licence.

Hope you find the perfect rifle.

Youngie

I have to work a bit harder than sit on a rubbish dump for a couple of foxes a night never mind 35 ! Dont think i have shot 35 rats in onego never mind foxes.

And I worked for what I shot had you read my post propally it was Rubbish Dump AND surrounding Farmland.

As I reload my ammunition the plastic boxes contain 50 rounds. Even when I go Deer Stalking I take a 50 round plastic box from my cabinet which will never have less than 25 loaded round's in it.

Shooting 20-35 Fox's why would I take a small amount of ammunition !!!!! Also I did miss also i did wound so needed a second shot.

My 52 is a small amount to some bags I know shot on the London and close by Waste Dump's.

The last time I went foxing I shot 17 in a very short time with my .25-06 in Surrey BUT will admit these had been dumped over a few days and probably could have been whistled up and caught instead of my .25-06 and 75gr Polymer Tips hurting them.

I wasn't having a go but those foxes and the ones that are out in the sticks aren't the same in my opinion.

They aren't and you can't shoot big number off areas unless you aren't shooting them more than just at harvest. Even when we have had 3 months off while the crops are too high we occasionally get into double figures but that will be once a year.

This thread is really fairly amusing, let's see some pictures of 50 plus foxes as I know what 10 look like in the back of a pickup 50 will be quite something

I wasn't having a go but those foxes and the ones that are out in the sticks aren't the same in my opinion.

Nor was I mate. But I do live and the 52 was shot in the sticks.

Apologies to the OP for going off Thread.

Moderated. 223 50gr Polymer Tipped Ammunition would be my choice.

Good luck in what ever you choose

They aren't and you can't shoot big number off areas unless you aren't shooting them more than just at harvest. Even when we have had 3 months off while the crops are too high we occasionally get into double figures but that will be once a year.

This thread is really fairly amusing, let's see some pictures of 50 plus foxes as I know what 10 look like in the back of a pickup 50 will be quite something

I was shooting them for roughly the same period as your good self.

And why would/do think this thread is amusing !!!!! If you like at Hitchin as your profile suggests and you have been heavily into Foxing for the last 40 year's I'm gobsmacked your not aware of the huge numbers of Foxes that used to be shot at night on the Waste Dumps around London !!!!!

Thought I put a picture up for you lads a bit earlier

😂😂

You cant compare foxes on a dump in london ( fish in a barrel ) to foxes that live in the sticks that have to hunt and steal to survive though.

I 100% live in the Sticks so much that legally with permission and safely shoot Fox's from and in my back garden.

The Fox's I shoot/shot are from Sugar Beet Rape Cereal ploughed fields ditch's hedgerows grass fields set aside fields and dare I mention I used to shoot these fields also AROUND a Rubbish Dump.

I did not or do not sit up and shoot fish in a barrel. I used/use a 4×4 truck or Quad and very occasionally on foot mainly when shooting Fox's from grass with lambing sheep.from my house I legally lamp for over 15 miles regularly starting at 6 PM sometimes not finishing till 6 or 7 am when I was shooting 300-400.

Having shot 35 one night I set out to try for 50 as I saw this as a big feat due to where I live returning home having achieved my ambitious target I shot 2 more about 300 yrd from my home.

Now it would seem yourself and another find it hard to believe or easy well the Fox's was not easy I did shoot the amount quoted . I could tell you about a friend in Devon married with 2 small children who bought a good sized house and supported his family from shooting Fox's.

Due you or other's know or have heard of him !!!!! No I doubt it.

Now as yet again due to clarifying a few points I have taken this Thread of track again and have already given my opinion to the OP what calibre I would choose I will gracefully bow out

Hi all,

I currently have .22lr and .17hmr on ticket, North wales police do not let you use the .17hmr as a fox calibre, so I'm applying for my first centre fire, now i have plenty of land to use the rifle on, I'm just stuck as to which calibre to go for. My original choice was going to be the .204 ruger, but I'm now unsure weather to go for a .22-250 or .223 rem. i will only be shooting out to a maximum of say 250yards and the rifle will mainly be used in conjunction with an add on NV kit. So i would like a few opinions, also consider price of rifles and ammunition costs??

Thanks

MGM

Any of the above will do the job admirably. I doubt you will shoot many at much over 150 though.

No idea how much the ammunition will cost, Google it and find out. I would imagine from £12 to £30 a box depending on make and cal.

I 100% live in the Sticks so much that legally with permission and safely shoot Fox's from and in my back garden.

The Fox's I shoot/shot are from Sugar Beet Rape Cereal ploughed fields ditch's hedgerows grass fields set aside fields and dare I mention I used to shoot these fields also AROUND a Rubbish Dump.

I did not or do not sit up and shoot fish in a barrel. I used/use a 4×4 truck or Quad and very occasionally on foot mainly when shooting Fox's from grass with lambing sheep.from my house I legally lamp for over 15 miles regularly starting at 6 PM sometimes not finishing till 6 or 7 am when I was shooting 300-400.

Having shot 35 one night I set out to try for 50 as I saw this as a big feat due to where I live returning home having achieved my ambitious target I shot 2 more about 300 yrd from my home.

Now it would seem yourself and another find it hard to believe or easy well the Fox's was not easy I did shoot the amount quoted . I could tell you about a friend in Devon married with 2 small children who bought a good sized house and supported his family from shooting Fox's.

Due you or other's know or have heard of him !!!!! No I doubt it.

Now as yet again due to clarifying a few points I have taken this Thread of track again and have already given my opinion to the OP what calibre I would choose I will gracefully bow out

Well, you have piqued my interest..... please start a new thread and tell us more,,,, how did he support his family from foxes? I for one want to know...... hope to see our new thread fella :good:

Edited by malkiserow

Hi all,

I currently have .22lr and .17hmr on ticket, North wales police do not let you use the .17hmr as a fox calibre, so I'm applying for my first centre fire, now i have plenty of land to use the rifle on, I'm just stuck as to which calibre to go for. My original choice was going to be the .204 ruger, but I'm now unsure weather to go for a .22-250 or .223 rem. i will only be shooting out to a maximum of say 250yards and the rifle will mainly be used in conjunction with an add on NV kit. So i would like a few opinions, also consider price of rifles and ammunition costs??

Thanks

MGM

North Wales Police do not make the Law and if you wanted to seriously debate it with them they will lose.

However, the HMR is not really suitable for 250 yards foxes anyway, perhaps that is also a little far for the Hornets (.17 +.22) to be comfortable, but is without doubt possible.

If you ignore the other 17 centrefires (I would), then you are on the .204, personally I would ignore that to, but some like them.

So, put simply, you end up with the .22 group of .222, .223, 22-250.

Up to you!

:good:

North Wales Police do not make the Law and if you wanted to seriously debate it with them they will lose.

However, the HMR is not really suitable for 250 yards foxes anyway, perhaps that is also a little far for the Hornets (.17 +.22) to be comfortable, but is without doubt possible.

If you ignore the other 17 centrefires (I would), then you are on the .204, personally I would ignore that to, but some like them.

Up to you!

Hi

I hope you have found the perfect rifle.

North Wales police don,t make the law but they uphold it and there the ones that issue your licence.

So what I am trying to say if you shoot a fox with a gun not naming the cal and it is not on your licence and get caught them they will take if off you. Simple .

MGN ........ You are going about this in the correct manner ,I am local to your area and I am out 3 nights a week atm.

ATB

Youngie

Ps.. I am not having ago by the way so sorry if it comes across that way.

Edited by Guest

Up to you!

Hi

I hope you have found the perfect rifle.

North Wales police don,t make the law but they uphold it and there the ones that issue your licence.

So what I am trying to say if you shoot a fox with a gun not naming the cal and it is not on your licence and get caught them they will take if off you. Simple .

MGN ........ You are going about this in the correct manner ,I am local to your area and I am out 3 nights a week atm.

ATB

Youngie

Ps.. I am not having ago by the way so sorry if it comes across that way.

There is no law that says you can't use a HMR or a .22lr or ANY other calibre of a fox, so they have nothing to uphold, they are flexing muscles they don't have, even the latest Home Office Guide lists HMR and WMR as Fox suitable, even .22lr as appropriate, so N Wales Police will lose any debate/case brought against them on the subject!

There is no law that says you can't use a HMR or a .22lr or ANY other calibre of a fox, so they have nothing to uphold, they are flexing muscles they don't have, even the latest Home Office Guide lists HMR and WMR as Fox suitable, even .22lr as appropriate, so N Wales Police will lose any debate/case brought against them on the subject!

Thank you Dekers

I know this is in the HM guide lines but I don't want to challenge or get into trouble with the law.

So I do as I am told.

I use 223 and load me own have 6500 acres to shoot on so you could say I have a lot to lose.😀😀

ATB

Youngy

Edited by Guest