chicken coop auto door

shootthepigeon

A friend of mine bought one off interweb when he had chickens a few years back. Quite a good little device, just works on daylight, through a photocell of some kind I would imagine. It worked well enough in so much as the chickens would put themselves to bed and the door would shut shortly thereafter. The only con... the foxes learned that humans weren't always about and so one evening, when we went up his local for a couple of pints, we got back 2 hours later to find absolute ruddy carnage. Poxy fox had gotten in to the hen house, after negotiating 6' fence topped off with barbed wire with an electric fence the other side of it so it would have been zapped several times as it tried to make its way through. Still, that's another story. The auto coup door did work fine, just let the fox in before it shut.

Edited by Doc Holliday

Yip I have made one, works a treat for me, the design was taken off net but adapted for me, works on either 12V battery or (as I have power in the shed) a 12Vdc power plug...

You'll need

1 x 12Vdc timer clock,

1 x 12Dvc photocell

2 x 12Vdc relays

1 x 12Vdc high torque motor

1 x suitable pulley wheel

1 x box to put it all

3 x limit switches

I bought all the bits off ebay but, as I am an electrical engineer, things like boxes cable etc was "borrowed" :whistling:

I reckon it would cost you about £50-£70 to build

Will post pictures when I get home/weekend

I looked at the bought ones but I wanted more control, as in, in summer the timer will open the door so that our big boy is not waking the neighbors at 04:30 and in winter the photocell will close the door just after they roost (as it gets dark).. this gives us peace of mind when we are out that the door isnt open at 20:00 and Mr fox cant help him self!!!

Edited by jeffjjack

Thanks for the replies it would only be used when we are away, just to save our neighbour a job first and last thing. I'll get one off the net I think, I haven't got the time really to make thinking about it.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies it would only be used when we are away, just to save our neighbour a job first and last thing. I'll get one off the net I think, I haven't got the time really to make thinking about it.

Cheers

I installed a dawntillduskdoors.com one for my boss as he was going on holiday and did not want to put anyone to the bother of having to go to his house twice a day to let the hens out.

It was easy to install and set up. He found it was a few pounds cheaper to buy off their ebay site.

Has been on for a month now and had no problems.

There are others but most seem to be set by time which might seem fine at first but I guess you would have to be adjusting the settings almost every week to save locking them out as the days get longer.

My pen has scaffolding mesh side and an enclosed roof the cat can walk about on. The sides ads dug in tk 2 feet with chicken wire with rubble on top as well before covering with soil. The chicks get themselves up and put themselves to bed. Charlie has tried to get in and failed. I'd struggle without bolt cutters or a digger. Saves a lot of messing about in the mornings especially when raining.