Shed heater

VULTURE

Hi. Can anyone recommend me a shed heater,I want one that will heat the shed quickly then just tick over maintaining the temp,I have an electric fan heater in there now but it takes forever to get any heat.

The shed is approx 4x5 meters in size,any suggestions,not too expensive either to buy or run for that matter.

Cheers. Vulture.

Last week I bought a Dimplex Eco OFRC15C 1.5KW oil filled rad from Argos for £60 - I can recommend this one, but you could always go bigger. As said above though, the heat isn't instant.

Mine is heating a 5x4m blockwork 'shed' with no insulation and I leave it ticking over on the lowest setting, which means I can wear a T shirt and a thin fleece and I'm comfortable. I've not tried it on the highest setting, but I don't need it to be 20 deg warm in there.

Next door use a shed as an office / workspace. Just speaking to him he says its fine with a wall mounted pannel radiator (i assume it must be oil filled) with a timer set to go off during the night and back on an hour before he uses it.

He did say he put loft insulation between the battons then faced the inside with cheap chipboard to provide some insulation, same with the roof

Aldi are selling small gas fired space heaters ideal for garage or shed. Not as big as industrial ones so shouldn't be too heavy on gas.

I'd be insulating the inside of the shed and putting a membrane over Insullation then board it with 1/4" ply or osb. Then heat with electric convector with fan on to boost temp then it will keep temp by thermostat.glen make a good one for not a lot of money.

Edited by figgy

Hi got a Honeywell fan heater 2.5kw,tried it this morning,heated shed up a treat,thermostatically controlled and cold setting for summer use.

There is some insulation but next job is to improve this plus a membrane,there is some dampness present as I have a couple of vintage bikes and the brake discs are brown with rust but it never seems to rust any other steel parts else where in the shed such as the lathe or any tools.

Where's the best place for membranes. And do I have remove the existing insulation and put membrane on the toungue and groove

or can it go on top and new insulation put on top.

Cheers. Vulture

The membrane goes over the Insullation and needs dealing with tape along the seams and then you can board over the membrane with your choice of internal finish ply etc.

Visqeen polythene sheet is good membrane material. The membrane is required to stop condensation forming in the walls where hot damp air meets the cold like on your bathroom Windows.

Hope this helps.

When insulated a shed as a dog kennel I used polystyrene sheets I cut to size to fit in between the wall batons then I ply lined in 1/4" ply Worked great and was nice and cosy.

Edited by figgy