Quickest way of despatch...... Pigeon

marlin1

Wish every Pigeon I shot just dropped from the sky stone dead, but things don't always happen like that. Any that fall into my pattern and start walking I shoot again, but what about the ones that drop close to your hide and to near to shoot again. Have taken quite a few people shooting and they all seem to have a preferred method of despatching live birds, some good and some not so good. Just looking for your views and opinions on the above... ;):good:

if i hit a pigeon it doesnt walk away

and they generally die quite quickly if they are alive.

but you can get a neck cracking tool that looks like pliers that does the job in seconds

my tip wood be to shoot on full choak then more of what you hit will drop down dead

Shooting over decoys tend to stick to 1/4 and 1/2 choke.... only change choke's if birds not decoying...

Have shot birds close with full choke and end up with a big plume of feathers and the breast shot to bit's.

You do well if all you shoot drops down dead..

but you can get a neck cracking tool that looks like pliers that does the job in seconds

my tip wood be to shoot on full choak then more of what you hit will drop down dead

not done alot then

that is ******** my friend how many people go decoying and use fullchoke ;)

even that does not mean a definate kill ?

2 finger,s around neck swing in circle,s untill neck breaks dead in second,s :good:

Superman

Two fingers round the neck then either a quick twirl or a throw forward & jerk back but not too hard as head will seperate from neck! ;)

Chris

Hi Chris

Done that two weeks ago, picked pigeon up outside hide, then thought Sh.. more pigeons flighting in.

Gave a quick jerk and birds head came off in my hand..... :good::good:

Wish every Pigeon I shot just dropped from the sky stone dead, but things don't always happen like that. Any that fall into my pattern and start walking I shoot again, but what about the ones that drop close to your hide and to near to shoot again. Have taken quite a few people shooting and they all seem to have a preferred method of despatching live birds, some good and some not so good. Just looking for your views and opinions on the above... :good::good:

Marlin, I did six years picking up on a titled estate where royalty often shot, we pickers up were not allowed to despatch wounded game by any other method than a priest due to heads coming off etc and it not looking too good to the squemish, although I have seen our first lady knock seven bells out of a Pheasant with the butt end of a thumbstick. :good:

I still carry a small priest and find it works well usually one blow and job done.

;) D2D

Wish every Pigeon I shot just dropped from the sky stone dead, but things don't always happen like that. Any that fall into my pattern and start walking I shoot again, but what about the ones that drop close to your hide and to near to shoot again. Have taken quite a few people shooting and they all seem to have a preferred method of despatching live birds, some good and some not so good. Just looking for your views and opinions on the above... ;):good:

This thread will tell you all you want to know.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=22951&hl=

I am Simo Hayha :good:

Wish every Pigeon I shot just dropped from the sky stone dead, but things don't always happen like that. Any that fall into my pattern and start walking I shoot again, but what about the ones that drop close to your hide and to near to shoot again. Have taken quite a few people shooting and they all seem to have a preferred method of despatching live birds, some good and some not so good. Just looking for your views and opinions on the above... :good::good:

index finger under the beakcurl your finger behind the head and bend the beak up one dead pidg humane

its like unhooking the head from the neck

Saw one chap pick them up by the feet and smack their heads against a tree ( or you could use the edge of your boot) or normally neck breaking as with chickens.

With corvids I have seen one old boy standing on them to crush their lungs plus a boot heel on the head.

Some carry an air pistol, or a sharp knife although a priest is most effective and less messy.

Thanks for all the reply's on the quickest ways to despatch a live Pigeon.

I think in future will go for Priest option.

He can bless them and forgive them for all their sins, like destroying crops.

just before I give there head a quick knock on the closest fence post.

:good::) Job Done.