Waxing unwaxed trousers?

Scully

I've had enough of paying good money on expensive trousers for shooting so am economising. I have a pair of Laksen trousers ( cost about 100 quid about 6 years ago ) and they have served me very well indeed; extremely waterproof and warm.

They are now a bit worse for wear, having picked up a cut in outer shell ( patched ) and despite treating with Nikwax pre season they did on one occasion let me down badly, but then again so did everyone elses.

They are quite a soft cotton and rather than just reserve them for drier days, which would mean buying another pair of some type or another, was considering treating them with Barbour wax and then blending it in with a hair drier as per usual. I have a couple of pairs of waxed over trousers and find them very resilient, but cold unless something is worn underneath, and these would be ideal if this worked as they are quilted internally.

I'm assuming Barbour cotton is just ordinary cotton before being treated with wax so can't see why it shouldn't be done in theory, but just wondered if anyone has done this in practice and with what success.

Cheers.

No experience of Laksen, but I have successfully waxed a supposedly-waterproof jacket.

It was on sale several years ago at a game fair for about £15, described as "possibly waterproof". The stallholder explained that he had them made specially, they were quite expensive, some were OK but many had been returned because they leaked. If I remember correctly, the manufacturer had gone out of business, the stallholder was left with a pile of almost-unsaleable stock, so he decided to offer them cheaply with that explanation.

Having been born with short arms and deep pockets, I could not resist buying that jacket. It turned out to be quite OK in light or moderate rain, but leaked in heavy storms, so after a few months I gave it a good coating of wax. It has been perfect ever since, but the wax made it a lot stiffer than when it was new, and also seems stiffer than normal Barbour-type wax clothing.

hello, i bought a very large spray bottle of water proofer off ebay and did a cotton fishy coat and that worked ok. i also did my old canvas trout bag

hello, i did the coat on a warm day outside hooked on the washing line and left to dry a few hours, i cannot say it was 100 % waterproof but shower proof yes.

Had a very old outdoor coat (non waterproof) which reacted very well to the 2 stage washing machine approach of using the NikWax TX products. It's now waterproof and has been used quite a few times recently without any leakage (label says its a poly cotton mix but that's all). Just make sure no taped seams as they can come unstuck!

All the best with your 'project'

Andy

I think it depends on the material and coarsbess of the weave, but for what it's worth I have an old cotton coat that I use for dog walking, I wanted to waterproof it so applied Barbour wax with a hair dryer. It worked fairly well but leaked at the shoulder seams in very heavy rain. I re-applied a second coat and it is rainproof but not fully waterproof as I think the cotton weave is too coarse.

Just to add, recently I sprayed the same coat with aldi waterproofing spray and the wax seems to have almost rubberised and the water now just beads off - I don't know how long it will last, but at £1.50 a can it seems good value.