fat ferret

darren m

when i found this jill , she was a skinny thing covered in ticks .

now shes getting a bit fat , shes not in season anymore , dont know why ??? but she was when i found her.

hope shes not preggers by some other wild ferret , her belly is growing and teats are showing .

if not preggers , am i feeding her too much .

1 spoon of mince -- every day

ad-lib james well B dried ferret food

odd bits of rabbit ( just this weekend ).

excercise wise she as a large gage and run and comes out twice a day for a run round .

cheers

It could well have been a phantom season to attract a mate....but saying that it is season time so.... ??? and if she isn't truly wild, just abandoned from an inexperienced hunting trip with some local lads who just left her cos she didn't come out of the hole quick enough, then when feeding now her body is just storing food.

But I would prepare for the kits fella ??????

lol

just think how many innocent ferrety lives u could have just saved by taking her in.

good luck if she is preggers, and i hope u manage to rehome them all. are u gonna keep her or give her away etc.

and puts some pics up. :unsure:

cheers

flash

no no no :unsure: , i,m in denial , god i hope shes not , when will i know for sure .

i,m keeping her shes cracker , her pole cat mask as come through now , shes turning darker .

i was thinking of another for company but not kits . we,ll have to see what happens . maybe its a false pregnancey and i,ve just over fed her .

she seems crazy for food , but then hides it away .

is that normal .

i opened her nest box yesterday and the little ****** bit me on the finger :blink: , just a nip .

her bellys still fat , i took her out and had a look in the box , nothing there , i think this is a phantom

she then claimed on my shoulder and bit my ear lobe :good:

god knows why , shes usually really freindly :lol:

i opened her nest box yesterday and the little ****** bit me on the finger :blink: , just a nip .

her bellys still fat , i took her out and had a look in the box , nothing there , i think this is a phantom

she then claimed on my shoulder and bit my ear lobe :good:

god knows why , shes usually really freindly :lol:

A nip, or a bite? Cos in ferret terms, there's a world of difference......

hi all -- kitts are doing fine , had a peek all look well fed , at first i thought there was 10 but on a second count it looks more like 14 :):) .

went to take pic and up comes " flat battery " warning light , so will try again when i,ve got some new batts .

mums a polecat , god knows what dad was .

jills looking a bit tied , but not suprised , shes also a bit nippy if i put my hands near , is that normal .

need to know how long before , eyes open etc and when will it be safe to handle them .

i understand that ferrets dont like the heat , so what would be the signs of heatstroke .

thanks all .

Hi Darren,

I am no expert on ferrets, I have had a few in my past, so I am sure someone with much more experiance will be along to answer your questions better than me. When I had them I always left the jill alone with the kits until she brought them out of the nest box. My Father always said just leave them alone until then so that she would not kill them. Figured he knew what he was talking about as he had them growing up when it was still legel to ferret rabbits over here. Biggest thing to do is make sure she has plenty of fresh food and water at all times so that she can produce the milk needed.

I am sure if you were feeding 14 mouths you might be alittle cranky and nippy too :) Keep her court in the shade and if you are worried about the heat get some hassian sacking, soak it in a bucket of water and drap it over the court. As the water evaperates it will cool the interior for her.

Hope this is of some help.

NTTF