Revolver problem

bryanhu2

It would already have been proofed when imported into the country, and unless it has been mistreated I see no reason why it would need proofing again.

If you pop out the cylinder, give it all a good clean and check each chamber and the barrel, and all appears ok then all should be ok. There is nothing to stop you from having a RFD give it the once over if you feel the need.

You do realise that this is a snub-nosed model and all that that entails in the UK?

Age alone wouldn't put me off buying any firearm. Many of my guns date back to the 1970's and most of my handguns dated back to the First World War. I had/have no qualms about using any of them. Get it checked over if you're concerned; I'd be very surprised if you can't use it.

Taurus revolvers will probably have European proof marks which are fine. Most of the ones in the UK years ago were imported via Spain. In many years of pistol shooting (including running a big club) I have never known or heard of any pistol ever blow up except as a result of idiot reloading practices.

Taurus revolvers were pretty well made and at the time offered a lifetime warranty. There are those who would tell you they were better made than the S&W revolvers of which they were a copy. There were dealers who would tell you they made revolvers for S&W and that S&W had largely ceased production in the US.

Edited by Vince Green

It no problem as I am living in Germany and am aloud to own 2 pistols, problem is I don't want to fire the thing if it's going to blow my hand off, as I said it's over 30 years old ????

i have run hundreds of rounds thro a 1916 po8......and even more thro a red9... the red 9 had that many rounds thro it was nearly a smooth bore......

I never had a handgun and I only ever had a go with one on one occasion down on the military ranges when they were legal. It was just something that I never got into and suddenly they were gone and I lost the experience of having one.

I owned a Mk VI Webley revolver in .455 made in 1918 and fired hundreds of rounds through it, including WW2 vintage Kynoch ammo as well as lots of reloads. It was a pleasure to shoot, superbly accurate and a piece of British history. If you haven't guessed, I miss it! :unhappy: - more than the more modern pistols I also owned.

Now .455 Webley is a low pressure round, but I wouldn't hesitate to fire any revolver by a well known maker of any age, provided if it was free from visible damage, corrosion etc and passed a mechanical function test (indexes properly, chambers align, cylinder stop engages, no excess play etc).