EU is it time to sell?

old'un

Why ? When we come out there'll be a little blip, Cameron will make sure of that just to say "I told you so". But remember, the powers that be have lots of investments and they'll make sure everything gets back to normal asap.

Why ? When we come out there'll be a little blip, Cameron will make sure of that just to say "I told you so". But remember, the powers that be have lots of investments and they'll make sure everything gets back to normal asap.

Yep..good point Rod, it is just a little worrying as the wife and I have built-up our retirement cottage fund over the years with the hope of buying a cottage near Leominster, so as its me who manages our finances I don't want to mess things up for her.

It depends on how quickly you need the money. If you plan on buying the cottage in the next 12 months then I would seriously consider getting into something a little less volatile.

Even if you plan on needing the money in 5 years time a phased draw down would be sensible.

But hey I am no expert. Professional advice is always the best option.

Get some professional advise before deciding upon anything

Yes I will do....I just wanted to hear what others thought about the situation, I guess its the same with all things connected to this vote no one really knows what will happen IN or OUT.

Do you need to sell now? If not when will you need to? If the answer is "no" and "not for the immediate future" i.e 3+ years then if I was advising you, and I am not, I would say "not now". If we vote in, which is likely, then there will be a rise in the short term. If we vote out then there will be a dip but will probably recover in that 3 year timeframe. Also consider how diversified your portfolio is. Are you invested in mainly UK stocks or European or US or global?

My portfolio is currently 30% UK & Europe, 30% commercial property, 20% US, 10% RoW and 10% cash.

Yep..good point Rod, it is just a little worrying as the wife and I have built-up our retirement cottage fund over the years with the hope of buying a cottage near Leominster, so as its me who manages our finances I don't want to mess things up for her.

hello, if it were me and depending how long to retirement? if just a few years and you have enough money in your investment to buy that cottage now, but it always pays to seek professional advice on these matters and someone who is recommended by a friend or ? that has had good service.

"Sell in May and go away, do not return until St. Leger's Day."

That old saying about stocks and shares has been doing the rounds since long before the EU was ever thought of.

As far as the retirement cottage fund is concerned, house prices might not be rising quite as much as the headline writers and estate agents would have us believe. Prices actually paid (England + Wales) are on the Land Registry website, and last month I downloaded data to make an Excel chart. Outside London and the South-East, the average SELLING price of a detached house seems to have hardly increased at all in the last 10 years.

post-75754-0-12321200-1462916608_thumb.gif