Rifle reloading

Once you have chosen a bullet weight in the calibre you have look at the list in the Lee manual, the best fill quantity powder will be at the top of the list, this is the powder to use. Now powders are sometimes hard to get hold of or on back order so check out with local RFD's which ones are available. I tend to use viht powders as I have a stockist locally with good supplies. When I first started reloading I use many different types of powder in the search for the ultimate load, now with a bit more experience I find that with a bit of experimenting most appropriate powders will give an accurate hunting load. More important should be the choice of bullet weight depending on the twist rate of your particular rifle, heavy longer bullets need faster twist rates than shorter lighter bullets. If you say what rifle you have and what you want to shoot with it you will no doubt get plenty of useful help here on PW.

I'm waiting for my ticket so haven't got a rifle yet. But looking at the tikka t3 in .243. Wanting it for fox and deer. So looking in the load data the lighter weights for fox powder is not the best powder for the heavier deer rounds so is it just best to get 2 different powders to do the 2 different bullet weights??

I'm waiting for my ticket so haven't got a rifle yet. But looking at the tikka t3 in .243. Wanting it for fox and deer. So looking in the load data the lighter weights for fox powder is not the best powder for the heavier deer rounds so is it just best to get 2 different powders to do the 2 different bullet weights??

No. In an ideal world, you use one powder, one bullet weight.

It removes a potential error - and an over-pressure error is not pretty. In addition, it means you haven't got to re-zero your rifle all the time.

I reload my .243 with 100gr SP bullets. That way, it's good for Fox and Deer, although I haven't been stalking for a few years now, but have around 200 reloaded bullets to use.

Just looking at a lighter faster round for fox and then probably 100gr for deer. What powder you using??

For a first load in your .243 why not just go for one weight and one bullet for fox and deer , there will be some compromising but why not try the Berger VLD 95 gr, its not the fastest round in town but if you use Vitavouri N560 you will be doing ok for fox or deer and the good thing about Vitavouri is you can get it, same cant be said for many american powders at the moment. .

Got one wondering how people decide what powder to use

The Lee Reloading manual describes the best choice pretty well I think...Richard Lee suggests that you look at the pressure sensitivity for each powder and compare a 1 grain increase in powder to the corresponding pressure rise and velocity rise. You choose the powder that gives the most velocity rise with the least pressure rise. If the powder is too slow for your rifle/bullet weight combo, increasing powder charge will increase pressure without much corresponding increase (benefit) in velocity. These are the powders to avoid in that instance. The ones which give best velocities for reasonable pressures tend to be towards the top of his load data tables. The reason for favouring lower pressure rises per grain increase is that things like temperature extremes or variations between batches or even seating depth are more likely to result in higher pressures, especially if you load anywhere close to the maximum recommended. You should always start low and work up, ladder testing each load until pressure signs are evident then back off. You need to leave allowances for temperature rises for all "non-extreme" type powders (ie those where burn rate is affected bytemperature). It's generally recommended to start at the min recommended charge from the load tables and work up in 1% of max increments from there (eg, a 25 grain max load and you work up from min in 0.2 to 0.3 grain intervals).

Once you've had a chance to compare which powders seem best for a range of bullets in the calibre you're looking at, make a shortlist and see what's the most readily available to you. No use tracking down Varget for example, if you may have to wait 6 months before you can get hold of some again if you have Viht powders locally available. Some powder supplies do seem to be sketchy and have been for a while. I stick with Viht as that's what's locally reliably available. Best speaking with your local RFD and see what he reckons are the most reliable in supply then check the load data tables to see if they are a match with what you need.

I would say start with a 70grn bullet and Vhit 140 for fox. A nice easy middle of the road cooking load. Presumably you will be shooting a lot more foxes than deer.

Heavier bullets can be a bit more fussy so you can work your way into that later.

The trouble with the Lee manual is that they give loads for powders you rarely see over here

Edited by Vince Green

I would say start with a 70grn bullet and Vhit 140 for fox. A nice easy middle of the road cooking load. Presumably you will be shooting a lot more foxes than deer.

Heavier bullets can be a bit more fussy so you can work your way into that later.

The trouble with the Lee manual is that they give loads for powders you rarely see over here

Not especially true. I have several manuals including the Lee and the Lyman manuals, and must admit that the Lee manual has more loads for more powders than the Lyman. The Lyman also has a tendency to put forward some very "hot" loads too! The Lee Reloading Manual covers all the bullets and powders that I use, including Viht powders. It's the one manual I'd recommend above all others simply due to the huge amount of data in the load data section.

Edited by Savhmr

Wilsons DONT stock viht powder, but he will have many others for you to try, even varget !!! I keep fairly up to date with Wilton's stock , as I live 5 mins from there.

Kent wool growers in ashford DO stock viht, and usually have plenty of it.

Edited by rimmie

And remember KISS, there is a bloke at our club has been chasing his holy grail load for 10 years ( as I know it) and still not happy, 1 powder 1 bullet and learn their characteristics

That's absolutely right, chasing the holy grail is a good way to put it, I've been there and done that. Its very easy to get drawn in to reloading OCD