Osborne's £30 billion Brexit Budget threat

old'un

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my niggles was the one-sided question 'what will Brexit look like?' Fair enough but why not ask the same of Remain. Who would have guessed in 2006 that 10 years later there would be 3 million EU nationals living in the UK? Who would have guessed that 40 years since the last referendum that membership would have gone from 9 to 28 members? Who would have guessed it would morph into the EU and would move relentlessly towards political union? Who would have guessed about the huge bailouts to Greece and 50% youth unemployment across southern Europe?

So my point is, if we remain, what will the EU look like in 10, 20, 40 years time? What events may happen and what risks are there? What changes might we have undergone that we can not foresee or imagine? In all honesty, how much influence will we have in an ever increasing membership (less votes by PR) when our view of Europe is fundamentally different to nearly every other nation?

What will Remain look like?

I am afraid to say I am wavering. I was strongly out, have an out poster on my car and wear out badges. However I fear that was my heart speaking. The closer we get my head is beginning to worry me.

U will find an awful lot off people in same boat, i'd bet a large % of voters that are are mildly leave and wavering or have any doubt about leaving will get in the booth and vote remain, it's the easy option and things pretty much stay the same. And any undecideds are more likely to vote to remain too.

Happened in Scotland i know quite a few folk who said they would vote Yes but bottled it and regretted it, it's only natural as such a big decsion

If the vote is to leave things will change, possibly massively or in all honesty to most average working folks will make absolutely no odds to ur normal life, u will stil work hard pay taxes etc, life wil not become a bed of roses but also the sky wil not fall or WW3 start either.

There is a massve ammount of BS mainly from the remain camp BUT it is impossible for the leave camp to actually give u any facts either as none exist.

How Eu reacted to Norway may not be similatr to how they react this time? Possibly they will want to take a hard line to stop other countries doing the same esp if things are looking less than rosy on the horizon.

Must admit i think there going to take a hard line wotever the vote is for us having the cheek to have a refendum. Treaties or rebates could be ripped up a loads of bad EU announcements wil come out after the 24th June

It is quite hard to get genuinely impartial info/advice as it tends to be quite a passionate argument and just because someone is argueing/shouting passionataly does not make there side right

Ther does seem to be a lot of very clever businessmen/intelectuals on both sides which suggests thee is some merit to both sides.

If we were a net exporter things may be different but we are a valuable market to Europe so they cannae shut us of totally.

I'd say it is almost impossible for anyone to make a truely informed descion as so much BS floating about,

For me u've just got to go with ur heart, then richer or poorer u can feel u voted the right way.

But Vince? makes a very good point as usual, the vote may not actually matter so much as both big political parties are to busy ripping each other to shreds which could be a far bigger problem

One of my niggles was the one-sided question 'what will Brexit look like?' Fair enough but why not ask the same of Remain. Who would have guessed in 2006 that 10 years later there would be 3 million EU nationals living in the UK? Who would have guessed that 40 years since the last referendum that membership would have gone from 9 to 28 members? Who would have guessed it would morph into the EU and would move relentlessly towards political union? Who would have guessed about the huge bailouts to Greece and 50% youth unemployment across southern Europe?

So my point is, if we remain, what will the EU look like in 10, 20, 40 years time? What events may happen and what risks are there? What changes might we have undergone that we can not foresee or imagine? In all honesty, how much influence will we have in an ever increasing membership (less votes by PR) when our view of Europe is fundamentally different to nearly every other nation?

Excellent point

A very good question, and one the Remain side can`t answer with any surety. Just as Brexit is a step into the unknown, so is remaining. There is no vote for the status quo so you have to decide which risk you want to take. But make no mistake, a vote to remain will be seen by the EU as a solid yes to ever more "Europe". Expect more bureacracy and interference in our lives from the Brussels elite or from those they wish to gain influence.

Look at the European Stability Mechanism. This is a body that helps bail out eurozone countries but has no democratic address and virtually no transparency.

"The ESM can lend money up to a total maximum amount of 500 000 million euros. The money it uses to provide loans to member states comes from shares, bonds, and other products placed on the capital market, plus an obligatory contribution from the member states – each country in the euro area is automatically a member of the ESM. . . .

Because it is an international organisation (located in Luxemburg) and not formally classed a European Union institution or agency, the ESM does not have to adhere to rules or restrictions applicable to EU institutions and is not encumbered by any form of democratic accountability.

On transparency matters, this became especially clear: the ESM appears to be immune to the Commission’s Regulation 1049/2001 on public access to documents, or any similar rule that allows for greater transparency. Our attempts to receive information on potential contacts between the ESM and consultancy firms such as Oliver Wyman, BlackRock, Roland Berger, and Pimco which could represent conflict of interest issues have been answered with a curt, “No we can’t help you,” from the European Commission, and with complete silence from the ESM itself."

http://corporateeurope.org/economy-finance/2014/06/european-stability-mechanism-esm-no-democracy-bailout-fund