browning A5 semi auto.

mossy835

I have a 1936 auto-5 and it cycles 67mm carts 28 gram no problem. You need to set the friction rings for lower powered loads or low brass as the Americans say.

I put 50 rounds of lyalvale power blues through it yesterday morning and it didn't miss a beat. But have also used eley first and comp-x with no issues. It won't cycle 24gram though.

What have you got, tell us more about the gun.

Edited by Wingman

Mine will cycle 70 and 67mm fine but with 65mm on firing it loads a live one but at the same time throws another live one out of the loading port My particular gun was made in 1907 and is my main gun for clay's and the field.

Could be a worn carrier latch or shell stop. Sounds more like a shell stop issue to me with the 65mm carts to short to operate it properly. I have tried 65mm shells in mine (Hull Comp-X) and they work fine. I would try replacing it easy job but on your gun you'll need a small jewellers screwdriver to replace the retaining screw. New guns used roll pins but the screws are easier.

Edited by Wingman

I have the new A5 (beautiful 125th Anniversary limited edition). Bought it brand new and on the first outing shooting clays it jammed using 67mm 28gr cartridges.

Once I realised the problem and switched to 70mm 28gr cartridges it has run perfectly. Those extra 3mm in length make all the difference.

Savage 720 is an interesting derivative, sort of a cheaper version of the A5. They were used by US forces widely and apparently used to train air force gunners how to lead a target. The Browning Auto-5, were highly engineered guns made from solid billet steel and hand fitted but I beleive the Savage's were an alloy receiver.

Still would like one in my collection though!

I am pretty sure the 720s were steel i have seen a few over the years.

Not sure exactly on detail differences but they are good just the same, saw a mint Remington 11 20 bore in a scotish gunshop a few years ago, like new it was, i thought about it that night in the B and B, . and called by to buy it after the morning flight, i had been beaten to it by 7 mins. :unhappy:

One I did earlier....

post-57131-0-42105300-1467292416_thumb.jpg

Traded it to a mate after Duracoating it & replacing all the recoil springs/friction rings, etc.

Not seen a Rem 11 or Savage 720 yet, but still looking.

Still after the 24" rifle sighted "Buck Special" barrel & the Police model forend & magazine

Got a few A5's, great guns!!

You lot are really NOT helping me resist the temptation of the Bosher's beaten-up A5...

Stop thinking and get buying! Come and join the club 😃😃

Guys were did you buy the synthetic stocks from? I really want one of those for mine but can't find anywhere in the UK to get one. Brownells don't import them I emailed and asked.

Edited by Wingman