New oil boiler?

sandspider

Hi all

We're looking at buying a house with an ancient oil boiler (Firebird), mounted outside. Our survey recommends replacing said boiler, though it does seem to still work.

I was just wondering, what sort of boiler would people recommend? Combi? Condensing? Both? Other? And what brand? I know Worcester Bosch are good for gas, but don't know much about oil boilers - never had one before... I also know that Firebird boilers don't have a great reputation, so probably wouldn't get another one.

The current boiler fills a hot water tank (I'd slightly prefer a combi boiler over condensing for hot water on demand - unless there's a reason this isn't recommended for oil boilers? :/), runs a number of radiators (fairly big, old, stone, 5 bedroom house) and also feeds underfloor heating in a fairly big kitchen.

Any thoughts on the best way forward? And a likely price to install a new boiler? £3 - 5,000? Might need a few new radiator valves too, but generally I think the heating is in good order. The only thing I noticed that seemed a bit strange is that both the radiators and the underfloor heating share a single thermostat. Surely it would be better to have a separate stat for the UFH, so it can be left running at a lower level constantly? (Radiators and UFH do have separate controls, but they're fairly basic - on / off).

Finally, if anyone can recommend a good boiler installer in the Bristol / Chepstow area, that could also be useful!

Many thanks. :good:

SS

Oh, and I don't care about the brand name of the boiler, as long as the boiler itself is good and reliable. I don't mind paying for a boiler that will last, but I'd rather not pay just for a name...

Edited by sandspider

I service and install oil boilers (although not in Bristol (yet)) I've installed all the main brands and always go back to woucster bosch, there guarantees and aftercare engineers are second to none, if you want to talk about the details of the house, pm me your number and I'll give as much advice as possible.

I have got a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Heatslave External 12/18 Had if for about 4 years I leave it on all of the time I turn it down to 16c at night and if it is cold in the morning up to 20c and it keeps my place very worm and is very good on oil I would recommend them to anyone best thing that I ever did to change from coal/wood to oil people say that log burners are good and they are as long as you do not have to buy logs not cheep these days.

I have an external Oil boiler its a Grant condensing boiler which my builder installed for himself. Its large enough to run two showers at same time with a small hot water tank to provide hot water when its in an off position. Whilst it runs the rads we mostly heat off wood. It is very very efficient. Its been in two years and cost (if i remember correctly) about £2500 to buy plus fitting.

Its broken down twice. Water pressure release valve opened (for some reason) and then would not seal properly, jet blockage (bought second hand tank so may be some sludge or waste from installation.

When I moved to my current home I had a firebird boiler. Dreadful bit of kit, always leaking and lots of breakdowns. On the recommendation of the company who maintained my boiler I fitted a Grant condensing boiler. Its been in 5 years now with no trouble at all. Can recommend the Grant.

We had an old (about 1990 built date) Worcester Bosch boiler replaced with a new WB condensing boiler about 3 years ago. Cut our oil usage in half.

The build quality on both was great - not had any problems with either - but the burner technology and efficiency has moved on in leaps and bounds over the last 20 years.

Old WB oil boilers were about 65% efficient - when new. As the boiler gets old, it becomes less efficient. New boilers are about 91% efficient

Another vote for WB, we've fitted a few in rural new builds and renovations - I can't advise on technicalities as I sub the work to my plumber but I know we haven't been called back and customers are happy with running costs. We've always fitted them with fairly substantial (300ltr) HW cylinders so don't know how well they work as a combi.

• 5 weeks later...

I would NOT go for one unit for heating/hot water and cooking.

Had it in the past, and if someone uses hot water or you run the CH pump it takes a lot of heat out of the cooker, meaning that heat has to be restored over a couple of hours, during which time cooking is impossible.

Just looked at the prices of those cookers. More expensive than Aga !

I have got a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Heatslave External 12/18 Had if for about 4 years I leave it on all of the time I turn it down to 16c at night and if it is cold in the morning up to 20c and it keeps my place very worm and is very good on oil I would recommend them to anyone best thing that I ever did to change from coal/wood to oil people say that log burners are good and they are as long as you do not have to buy logs not cheep these days.

We've got much the same (different model) and it works really well.

We have just had some issues with it and got WB out. Had 2 options - pay a one-off fee of £280 and they'll fix it (up to £1500 worth of work) or pay £300 for a 12m service contract and they'll still fix it and we are covered for another 12 months. It was a no brainer, so we pay £25 a month for the service contract and they replaced most of the boiler.

VERY impressed with the quality of service and basically got a brand new boiler out of it. Oil prices are also quite low and we've been topping up the tank as often as possible.

How old was the WB boiler when you needed to replace all its insides?! :/

Good that they'll fix it for a reasonable cost though.

9 years old I think - apparently it's normal for oil boilers around that age to need some TLC.

We had an oil leak that prompted the repair and they replaced the pressure vessel, oil pump? and/or ignition unit and the control panel which had been playing up for ages.

Wasn't a lot under the bonnet that didn't look new!

We were lucky with the repairs as the engineers were quite helpful and I think it was borderline whether to replace/condemn it.

Edited by hedge

I just had my boiler serviced and the guy said said that it needed two new parts so he had to order them and put them in another day the problem is not really understanding them I always end up thinking that I am being taken advantage of did the parts really need changing but hell it was only another £120 so I can live with that as long as it keeps me nice and worm in the winter.

Don't do what I did - I bought a second hand oil fired boiler from e,bay. the seller told me it was in working order and had been regularly serviced. When it arrived my fitter put it in and as soon as he turned it on he said there was a problem - we found the gear between the pump and the fan was knackered - also it was filthy inside and 1 of the baffles was missing. I contacted the seller and he said - if it was faulty why did you fit it - DOH :no: . I said I had it fitted because he had said it was in working order and if it hadn't been I would not have bought it!!! So I opened a case with e.bay - guess what - they sided with him!! it cost me an extra £300 to sort out - angry or what - happy days - Rob.

Get an engineer to check the boiler first - why change it if it's ok. there's not a lot to go wrong with and oil fired boiler. :good: .

+1. Why fix if it's not broke

I had my oil boiler took out and a Worcester combi put in , had building work done so needed to move boiler that was the only reason , still have the old oil fired aga in the kitchen for show purpose , was toying with the idea off getting another tank just to use this in the winter