Wildfowling - Season 2016/17

Wildfowler12

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went for a look this AM was a nice day started with waking half the village up at 3 am when Ryan my old shooting mate decided to overlay when i went for him, dogs barking lights flicking on all up the road. I blame Newcastle Brown ale for it but he swears it had nothing to do with it i know better let me tell ya. . ;)

Any how we got there in the end ...a bit late if im honest nobody about i did a bit of running to land as far up as i wanted could not be bothered with the decoys just not enough time, so went minimalist and got in the merse not even a net. found a creek to get a bit of cover but was still pretty exposed i decided i would just have to drop back to Ryan get some cover in the big creek visibility was just too good and the first group of greys saw me easy, So i ran back got tucked in tight to the bank edge and , no sooner had i got in and more were up on the wing.

Started crossing the shore getting pretty vocal in the light breeze, then angling back over the ings and turning left to right every 50 or so yards they were nervous i recon they got a thrashing perhaps yesterday morning off someone, any how we looked to be in with a chance i got right down looked down as they were pretty vocal and once they were close enough, made my move..... Just too high no chance more came out over the trees straight at us and low, looking great but closer they got higher they were getting, Ryan anounced some bodys given these some hammer i agreed and they angled right over the ings safe as houses.

Plenty of duck about wile all this was going on but was not bothering when geese abbout, as it slacked started taking a bit more inbtrest in the duck, little packs fliting about up and down seemed to be wanting to get in i was regretting no decoys now.

I picked an end bird of a little pack hit it pretty hard with Steel 5s in my 20 it looked to be stone dead Ryans springer is gone and looks a text book retrieve but just as he gets there the duck dives. :no: Man i hate that its up again 10 yards further out dog heads out a foot off it down it goes again. :rolleyes: .... Not good Rys up directing traffic trying to get him on it i snaps a shot of Max looking totaly bewilderde god bless him :lol: .. Waste of time it dives never came up again, called him off and home time.

Another blank, but did we enjot it :yes::good: Too right dispite me being a **** and not killing the duck clean as i thought i had goes with the teritory. BUT! ;) , it was all action and tomorrows another day.

Few birds about

IMG_20160909_065443_zpskxoiyqht.jpg

Now what????:lol:

Picture%20045_zpswwrd1je0.jpg

I dont type anythin g

Tony, your posts do take a bit of reading.

I acept that but in not typing posts for him or anyboby else ill tap an talk and edit where it puts a wrong word in punctuation is a luxury i do without. :yes::lol:

Went out this morning, I am getting bored waiting for pinks but have to try it is just the way i am.

Saw 6 greys and a fair few ducks, nothing came near apart from a crow which i promptly shot at about 45 yards with homeload steel 20 bore load of 4s i am really liking LIL Gun Powder in the 20 bore its just awesome stuff i have always been a 20 bore fan but with Lil Gun i like it even more.

Hope the Moon late this week brings in some pinks and set the ball rolling properly for this season.

With an imminent two weeks foreign holiday looming I thought i'd have a trip out on Sunday morning as the tides were ok if a little low. Set up a handful of teal decoys on a motherline in a little gutter off the river and waited. It was a beautiful dawn and as the tide pushed in the birds started to move - the geese have obviously had a bit of a hard time since the start of the season as they flighted very early canadas and greys sticking to the center of the river frustratingly out of range. I managed to cut a teal out of a small pack that "buzzed" the decoys and got royally stuck in the mud trying to retrieve it. This marsh doesn't allow dogs due to the amount of sheep grazing it, which is unusual, but you'll notice a 14m roach pole on one of the pics - this serves to retrieve and birds that drop in the deeper water - other than that its careful shot selection and quick reactions, immediately picking birds that mean very few are lost.

I could have had a fantastic flight on egrets, they seem to be everywhere this year, as the sun started to climb a small party of canadas were drawn in by a couple of calls, close enough for a shot which connected with a young bird. There was another chance just as i was packing up - as so often happens - stood there with an armful of decoys and fumbling with muddy fingers for No1 shells to replace the no4s loaded - the skein of greys passed undisturbed.

A beautiful morning, a couple of birds and the marsh to myself - perfect

post-72875-0-29807000-1473670460_thumb.jpg

post-72875-0-21213000-1473670466_thumb.jpg

post-72875-0-10915000-1473670472_thumb.jpg

Nice report guttersnipe sounds like you enjoyed yourself, a strange one with no dogs but guess if thats what the land owners dictate so be it.

I knewn old fowler who in his last couple of years of life was too old to get a pup and we used to make a point of picking him up or at least being there when he was shooting, but the old devil he had to be out every day if he could, and he went on his own dogless, and used a 6ft two piece spinning rod and a big spinner with a trebble hook on it, to watch him cast out with that and get ducks off the tide was i must say impressive he lost very few in acctual fact was quite suprising.

Cheers Tony, I'll have to try that trick... the Lab stays at home on that marsh, frustrating as the public walk along the sea-wall with dogs off leads, had them pee'ing up my silosocks before now - not without loud and vociferous comment though. My Dad has a couple of GSP's but they are no good on the marsh, get cold and bored, we mainly shoot walked up game over them - How do you find yours, its a lovely looking dog - much prefer liver and white to solid liver. Regards

Re the GSPs Guttersnipe, i have only had three of them, but all mine have been very reluctant swimers this is by no means normal behaviour some swim well, but for some reason i have not got water entry with these things, its not the dogs fault its mine i recognise that.

Anyway once the light eventualy switches on they go like nothing on earth, work to hand signals they dont struggle in tides and they dont missbehave will come off a retrieve if you want them too instantly.

None of my dogs ever showed any reluctance to retrieve they will retrieve anything geese ducks rabbits fox they just seemed to have a strong retrieval instinct in them, Now this is not apparently a guaranteed aspect of the breed, i guess i was just lucky or maybe i just got that part right, again ill give the dogs the benefit and say it was in them and strong.

You touched on sitting quiet and content, they all winge moan protest it is just how they are, i just ignore it if you get iritated by the winging the more they do it, just ignore it or turn up iron maiden on the walkman they chill out and next thing you know they are assleeep.

But i will say i can understand why some people might find them irritating in prolonged waiting times such as we have to endure in fowling on a day to day basis.

They have all been steady and i will say when geese are approaching they go stumb insantly swkitch on to whats going on and apart from that hyped up shaking that they do they are still hide and totaly silent.

They di hide well they physicaly crouch down automaticaly and i never trained one of em to do it , And the liver and white is about perfect marsh cammo jacket it breaks up the dog outline and in small spots rather than big patches like springers and they do blend in very well.

Cold yes if it is hailing sleating etc strong arctic winds they just dont have a coat suitable for sitting about for long periods, you can use a neprene vest in them these help a little but the large rear leg mussles expossed to the cold always get me woried so if i get chance when moving or wa;lking on and off or in the darek i will rub their missles to help like you would a greyhound or short haired running dog in a similar sittuation.

No evidence i do any good but i have not had one with any mussle sprains yet from suden bursts of acceleration in low temps so it might be viewed as a sucses i supose.

Back to the coat its as you know vertualy non existent but on the pluss side it dries faster than any other dogs coat its oilly as you must know this in water retrieves id good they go out and are back vertualy dry within a min or two.

I have a piece of canvas i sit them on and flick it over their back help keep the wind off them.

I have done this same routene with all three of them and it seems to work ok.

They will have no trouble in cold if moving you just need to consider them more when waiting thats all, its not ideal its more work for little reward but its possible if you put a little thought into it like i have.

On open marshes where you knock geese down with creeks to jump and geese perhaps wounded making for a channel and escaping to die a lingering death, in such scenarios where speed and long range is needed, no labrador alive can live with a trained GSP in these circumstances, they are not quite greyhounds but they are fast very fast, and they have as im sure you know a great physical strength eassy carry a goose and run with it once they get used to the job.

They are a true versatile gundog and are in no way a wildfowling dog, but they have some aspects in use that do lend themselves to fowling, and this is often overlooked by the general public and even those who own and work them in more traditional GSP type hunting scenarios.

Had another look today was on the A1 by 3AM on my own with just the GSP for company, Got in possition just before 5AM.
A nice dawn over the ings few duck about and could hear greys over in the distance so swapped out to TSS 6s in the 20 bore.
first lot came in over the far side and were heading west.
Two more groups of greys with a few straglers folowed them a few mins latter.
started hearing canadas when it got light but although i could hear them they never came into view sun came out a beautifull day few greys moving about in little packs, but nothing close enough for a shot.
tr.jpg
I decided to call it a day and head off, but then up comes this group of greys looked good then not so good :rolleyes: but picked the closest on this end and waited for it to get close enough and took it off the right flank of the line.

Its hopefully going to get colder soon and when the pinks get here properly we can start the season off right. :yes: .
f221_zps90e3c40a.jpg

Edited by TONY R

Very much like the Ouse/Nene washes, but up in Yorkshire. If you ever see or hear about a book about Snowden Slights, it's where he used to shoot.

Ings is a Norse name for flood/water meadows.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/blast-from-the-past-1-2393138

What is/are the 'ings'?

Edited by Penelope

A good few years ago (in the late 90's) on my favourite stretch of river here in West Wales I saw a white domestic goose with a pair of swans. The goose was with the swans all summer. Totally out of the blue last week, I once again saw a white domestic goose with a pair of swans, on the same river less than half a mile downstream.

Cheers

Aled

A good few years ago (in the late 90's) on my favourite stretch of river here in West Wales I saw a white domestic goose with a pair of swans. The goose was with the swans all summer. Totally out of the blue last week, I once again saw a white domestic goose with a pair of swans, on the same river less than half a mile downstream.

Cheers

Aled

Aled ... The last time I saw a white goose on my marshes where I shoot must have been late 70s or early 80s .

Things were a little bit harder then with having a mortgage and a young family and the wages in the building trade were never that good and in the winter it was pretty poor so any extra meat was always welcome .

This goose wasn't technically on my marsh it had somehow escaped his fate of being on some ones plate at Christmas by leaving his compound and making his way up the fleet dyke to freedom , that was until I saw it in the dyke on my next door neighbours , at the time the owner was still alive and he would let me cross his marsh to get on to mime but I couldn't shoot on them as he let them to the local shooting club . so the plan was , leave my gun where it was on my bit and double back across the marsh and then get behind the goose so he couldn't go back , it didn't take me long to cross the liger and whip across the marsh before he could get to far back along the dyke , when I got to where I thought he was I was only around 50yds out , but at least I was the right side and as I started to walk towards him he was swimming up the big dyke to where his fate was going to be sealed .

When we got to the small boundary dyke I told my dog to sit on the bank to stop the goose going back while I retraced my steps across the field back to where I started and low and behold there was my dinner not to far ahead , having called my dog back we quickly made our way along the top of the dyke to get in range of this imposter , at around 20yds , a quick shot towards his head put paid to him , at the time I wasn't sure if it was legal or not but my mates who had some of the surrounding marshes would have done exactly the same so if it hadn't been me it would have been someone else and with no food banks about then it made a very nice meal , not one of the best I had eaten but one that still bring a smile to my face. :yes:

Cracking yarn J.

Aled ... The last time I saw a white goose on my marshes where I shoot must have been late 70s or early 80s .

Things were a little bit harder then with having a mortgage and a young family and the wages in the building trade were never that good and in the winter it was pretty poor so any extra meat was always welcome .

This goose wasn't technically on my marsh it had somehow escaped his fate of being on some ones plate at Christmas by leaving his compound and making his way up the fleet dyke to freedom , that was until I saw it in the dyke on my next door neighbours , at the time the owner was still alive and he would let me cross his marsh to get on to mime but I couldn't shoot on them as he let them to the local shooting club . so the plan was , leave my gun where it was on my bit and double back across the marsh and then get behind the goose so he couldn't go back , it didn't take me long to cross the liger and whip across the marsh before he could get to far back along the dyke , when I got to where I thought he was I was only around 50yds out , but at least I was the right side and as I started to walk towards him he was swimming up the big dyke to where his fate was going to be sealed .

When we got to the small boundary dyke I told my dog to sit on the bank to stop the goose going back while I retraced my steps across the field back to where I started and low and behold there was my dinner not to far ahead , having called my dog back we quickly made our way along the top of the dyke to get in range of this imposter , at around 20yds , a quick shot towards his head put paid to him , at the time I wasn't sure if it was legal or not but my mates who had some of the surrounding marshes would have done exactly the same so if it hadn't been me it would have been someone else and with no food banks about then it made a very nice meal , not one of the best I had eaten but one that still bring a smile to my face. :yes:

That read John put a smile on my face 😂😂