Wildfowling - Season 2016/17

Wildfowler12

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First 'proper' flight since the end of the 2014/15 season.

Due The Memsahib not being fully up to par, my fowling last season comprised two midday flights and one picnic on the marsh only. Hopefully this season things will be better.

She is a tough old bird and has steadily improved over the last few months and I now have a wonderful care lady who comes to look after things so that I can get out and about a bit.

First go was last Thursday morning. Jenny arrived at 8pm Wednesday and took over the caring duties so that I could get off to bed early.

Up at 0330 for a quick bowl of porridge and a mug of tea then away to the coast. 45 minute drive and I was parked up where our small syndicate has rights on an area of marsh just behind the sea/river wall. Not 'proper' fowling but the best I can do locally (and at 77 years). Anyway it is my little piece of Suffolk heaven.

Got booted up in my waders and got Merlyn (yellow lab) under control - I think that she was more excited than I was - and we were off for the short walk to the marsh.

Had to fight my way through head high reeds for most of the way. The marsh belongs to a Government Agency and they are obviously broke and can't pay for reed cutting.

Soon out on the marsh proper and looked for a hide area. With all these reeds there is no need for netting - just my shooting stick to plonk into the mud and that is it.

I was overlooking a nice big splash and walked some teal and mallard off while sloshing through the mud. It looked promising.

Just the first feint tinges of light in the eastern sky so my timing had been just about right.

Wings over head and mallard quacks but I couldn't see anything. Then a teal almost removed my hat. Then another and another but much to low and fast to get a shot off.

Four mallard just out of shot then six right over my head but from the 'wrong' direction. Turned myself around and faced the 'wrong' way. More mallard but still just out of range.

Shelly's all over the sky for about five minutes then a long period of nothing.

Lighter now and the gulls starting to move, then the crows and pigeons.

Suddenly a large bunch of teal - this time from the right direction which was now my wrong direction! Turned round again.

Four mallard from the new wrong direction so I turned round again. At this rate my shooting stick was going to screw itself right down into the mud and me with it!

Five mallard came in from the right direction - I picked them up early, stood, picked my bird and swung through - bang, bang - two misses. Bad language and a bad look from Merlyn.

Now fully light and the sun coming up although it wasn't much of a sunrise due the thick cloud.

A lump of greylags, about twenty, crossed the river noisily but stayed well away from me.

A barn-owl passed and repassed. Then a harrier. This was followed by a chinese water-deer who nearly walked into the dog in the reeds.

More duck passed overhead but much higher now that it was fully light. The geese came back across the river but passed way out to the other side of me - They're no fools. I got no more shots - I'd had my chance and fluffed it.

Later on I walked around the area and sat on an old gate and ate my energy bar and had a mug of tea from the flask. Merlyn had a swim just because she likes swimming and then got a biccy to two. The sun came out as the clouds broke and I decided it was time to go and relieve my carer lady.

Absolute magic!

I'm back...

Edited by Grandalf

Glad you were able to get out B.

Inland for me on Saturday; Northants for a goose. I took a new member with me and managed to call a bunch of Canadas, that passed us well to the left. I thought that I had lost them when they went over a big poplar plantation beside the river, but with a clamour of honking, they turned around unseen and came back from the right hand side, they obviously had heard the call and seen the mixed squad of Greylag and Canada deeks; a couple of calls and on they came.

A set of the wings and paddles down, they slipped air from under their wings, banking around to the left, still a good fifty yards up, but loosing height they swung round, intent in over flying the decoys, to turn and came back into the wind to alight with their duplicitous friends. We took them as they crossed our front, left to right. Sporting shots at 35 yds; a goose apiece.

Two trips and two geese this season, a Grey and a Canada.

That was it for the morning, as the local hunt turned up and drew the field and cover behind us before working across the field we were in and drawing the plantation. An enjoyable sight.

First 'proper' flight since the end of the 2014/15 season.

Due The Memsahib not being fully up to par, my fowling last season comprised two midday flights and one picnic on the marsh only. Hopefully this season things will be better.

She is a tough old bird and has steadily improved over the last few months and I now have a wonderful care lady who comes to look after things so that I can get out and about a bit.

First go was last Thursday morning. Jenny arrived at 8pm Wednesday and took over the caring duties so that I could get off to bed early.

Up at 0330 for a quick bowl of porridge and a mug of tea then away to the coast. 45 minute drive and I was parked up where our small syndicate has rights on an area of marsh just behind the sea/river wall. Not 'proper' fowling but the best I can do locally (and at 77 years). Anyway it is my little piece of Suffolk heaven.

Got booted up in my waders and got Merlyn (yellow lab) under control - I think that she was more excited than I was - and we were off for the short walk to the marsh.

Had to fight my way through head high reeds for most of the way. The marsh belongs to a Government Agency and they are obviously broke and can't pay for reed cutting.

Soon out on the marsh proper and looked for a hide area. With all these reeds there is no need for netting - just my shooting stick to plonk into the mud and that is it.

I was overlooking a nice big splash and walked some teal and mallard off while sloshing through the mud. It looked promising.

Just the first feint tinges of light in the eastern sky so my timing had been just about right.

Wings over head and mallard quacks but I couldn't see anything. Then a teal almost removed my hat. Then another and another but much to low and fast to get a shot off.

Four mallard just out of shot then six right over my head but from the 'wrong' direction. Turned myself around and faced the 'wrong' way. More mallard but still just out of range.

Shelly's all over the sky for about five minutes then a long period of nothing.

Lighter now and the gulls starting to move, then the crows and pigeons.

Suddenly a large bunch of teal - this time from the right direction which was now my wrong direction! Turned round again.

Four mallard from the new wrong direction so I turned round again. At this rate my shooting stick was going to screw itself right down into the mud and me with it!

Five mallard came in from the right direction - I picked them up early, stood, picked my bird and swung through - bang, bang - two misses. Bad language and a bad look from Merlyn.

Now fully light and the sun coming up although it wasn't much of a sunrise due the thick cloud.

A lump of greylags, about twenty, crossed the river noisily but stayed well away from me.

A barn-owl passed and repassed. Then a harrier. This was followed by a chinese water-deer who nearly walked into the dog in the reeds.

More duck passed overhead but much higher now that it was fully light. The geese came back across the river but passed way out to the other side of me - They're no fools. I got no more shots - I'd had my chance and fluffed it.

Later on I walked around the area and sat on an old gate and ate my energy bar and had a mug of tea from the flask. Merlyn had a swim just because she likes swimming and then got a biccy to two. The sun came out as the clouds broke and I decided it was time to go and relieve my carer lady.

Absolute magic!

I'm back...

Edited by Penelope

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you're all out and about lads!!!!

I had such a poor season last year I am struggling to make the effort to get out. I've been out once this season.

I am going to up my shooting from November onwards this year, I am praying we don't have a "winter" like last year.

Had a thousand pinks over me in four of five lots over a 20 min period today around 8 o clock.

Guessing they came off the humber they were high one lot looked promising but they were still 80 to 90 yardsup the closest birds.

They were heading North could have just been me but i got the feeling they were moving areas. Saw two more skeins very quiet they were just as i was walking out a little after 9 AM.

Was good to see them, its allways good to see them but all i was to day was a spectator pure and simple. :yes:

Had a cracking morning with my wee friend.

Went out last night just for a look, thought I'd found the right spot, this morning headed out and got set up. Geese were coming in from all angles. It was a bit frantic for an hour and still quite dark, but I managed to knock a few down. Was a really beautiful morning.

Looks like you had a great time well done the season is properly underway now. Great result there. :good:

Had a cracking morning with my wee friend.

Went out last night just for a look, thought I'd found the right spot, this morning headed out and got set up. Geese were coming in from all angles. It was a bit frantic for an hour and still quite dark, but I managed to knock a few down. Was a really beautiful morning.

Those geese look far too clean for my liking.

Come to think of it, so did some of your pigeons.... :lol: on a more serious note, what are you implying?

No, not implying anything. It's just that all my pinks seem to end up with a pound of mud on them. I imagine these geese were shot inland.

No, not implying anything. It's just that all my pinks seem to end up with a pound of mud on them. I imagine these geese were shot inland.

Sorry mate if I came across as being funny, I was just curious as to what you meant. I see where your coming from now, all my gear and fowl normally end up covered in mud, it's probably a lost cause but I try to keep my hands mud free as rolling a smoke proves troublesome :lol:

Shot on the golden Hebrides! No mud here, just silver sand. Keeps the geese clean but it's a ****** on the semi auto.

Went back to catch the evening flight and bagged 3 more. I'm going to be busy plucking!

Edit - autocorrect!

Edited by Highlandladdie

Got out again last Friday. Up in Norfolk this time. The pinks have arrived...

Got in the right place after a 0300 hours reveille. Fairly long walk but over reasonably good ground.

Had the whole area to myself - Which was a surprise.

Shot like a total novice and had six 'practices' before anything came down. (Good job there was nobody to watch and comment)!

Packed up at 12 noon with two in the bag for another three shots. (Gave one the second barrel to ensure it dropped our side of the boundary drain).

They are the first geese I have shot in two years so were especially welcome.

Super to be back in the game again.

Edited by Grandalf

Got in the right place after a 0300 hours reveille. Fairly long walk but over reasonably good ground.

Shot like a total novice and had six 'practices' before anything came down. (Good job there was nobody to watch and comment)!

Packed up at 12 noon with two in the bag for another three shots. (Gave one the second barrel to ensure it dropped our side of the boundary drain).

Top Man well done you well deserve the success and hopefully many more to come

👍👍

Thats good Gandalf glad you got out and got results, i dare say you will get out more in this season and the seasons to come.

I can not think of a better way to spend spare time than on a marsh or river in persuit of Waterfowl.

Seem to be Pinks in most of their regular haunts now, and i will be venturing further afield in persuit of them next week i cant wait.

I have been out three mornings this week seen over a thousand pinks everytime i went, but need secondry factors like weather etc to bring them down in shootable range, its always good to see them though i never tire of it.

Looks like a chance of fog again tuesday if temps fall a little.

Excellent news B.