Bird call

Glenlivet

We all know what a buzzard sounds like, a long, descending high pitched call. There are a few in the woods around my house. There is also something, however, which looks like a buzzard but sounds a bit like a duck!

Anyone any ideas? ???

Well if it looks like a Buzzard it probably is.. possibly a juvenile which hasn't quite developed the mewing call yet or could even be a ailment of some kind .

Wouldn't be a Gos would it. http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/goshawk.htm

I know it sounds odd, does to me as well! In the past I've heard the call in the woods and assumes it was a duck, albeit with the flu! The last couple of times I've actually seen the bird in flight although only in silhouette.

Not a goshawk, had a listen on your link.

Just heard it again, really puzzled now 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by Glenlivet

what does it walk like,? if like a duck then 2 out of 3 works, however if only seen in silhouette then it could be a Raven, about the same size as a buzzard and definitely can sound like a duck at times

Good call! Only seen briefly in silhouette wheeling above the trees and the wing and tail profile does look similar to the buzzard.

Cheers IG 👍

Quite probably.

Heres the two Shilouettes Glenlivet...which part of Cheshire did you see it in..I can find out if there have been any recent reported sightings in that area.

The second pic is pretty spot on. I had a listen on YouTube and the three short croaks is the one.

I live around Adlington, we have had ravens in the garden but never heard them make this particular croak/quack.

what does it walk like,? if like a duck then 2 out of 3 works, however if only seen in silhouette then it could be a Raven, about the same size as a buzzard and definitely can sound like a duck at times

That's what I would suggest. We have them over here near to the village and they do sound more like ducks than crows.

The second pic is pretty spot on. I had a listen on YouTube and the three short croaks is the one.

I live around Adlington, we have had ravens in the garden but never heard them make this particular croak/quack.

:lol: The second Pic...on the right is the Buzzard.

Ravens are spreading east across the country. I would be surprised if there are not any in Cheshire. They have been breeding in Norfolk for the last few years and that's as far east as you can get ( almost) , I know Lowestoft is just into Suffolk is a tad further east. I get buzzards in my woods in good numbers ( 3 pairs breed and up to 27 spiraling in a kettle at migration times ) and yet to hear one quack. If you here a quack when you see a buzzard that can only mean there is a duck abut somewhere.

Edited by anser2

Ravens are spreading east across the country. I would be surprised if there are not any in Cheshire. They have been breeding in Norfolk for the last few years and thats as far east as you can get ( almost) , I know Lowestoft is just into Suffolk.

Plenty here, they breed in the wood around the house.

One of them which came in the garden met with an unfortunate accident when it flew full speed into the sunroom window.

Just checked bird id, we have rooks not ravens.

Edited by Glenlivet

we are inundated with ravens, plenty of dead sheep on the hill to scavenge, as crofters we can apply for a licence to shoot ravens which are a threat to young lambs, our ravens cronk more than quack but that might just be the hebridean accent

Quack was the closest I could come up with. Cronk sounds better.