Primary Schools

silver pigeon69

We are looking at the above for our daughter. Most of the local ones are small village type schools, but there are a few larger ones.

Most of the smaller ones seem to combine certain years in the same classroom,ie the first year and second year are grouped together in the same classroom, the 3rd and 4th year etc. I think this is due to funding and to ensure that there are (the maximum) 30 kids per classroom/per teacher ratios.

Is this a good idea? Do you think the kids would be better off, education, social skills, etc being in a combined year as opposed to a classroom of only their year?

The maturity and ability level at any age way exceeds the school year. Older children will bring them on, while younger help develop social skills.

Nothing to worry about at primary level.

I have been a governor of our local primary school for about 8 years about 100 pupils. Mixing year groups can really strengthen a school and a lot of local primary schools would no longer be here if this was not possible. You should find that as well as their teacher there should be a ta as well, who can take target groups away for extra help if needed.

I have been a governor of our local primary school for about 8 years about 100 pupils. Mixing year groups can really strengthen a school and a lot of local primary schools would no longer be here if this was not possible. You should find that as well as their teacher there should be a ta as well, who can take target groups away for extra help if needed.

Thanks for your respose, yes they all had TA's. If you had the choice of sending yours to a "mixed" class or not, would you have a preference? We have narrowed the schools down to two, and the only real difference between them is that one is smaller and has the mixed classes.

Edited by silver pigeon69

I adopt the old Montessori approach in that first school should be a fun journey into learning (whilst reinforcing the basics of reading, writing and forming proper and acceptable social bonds) i think a mixed class could be beneficial and allow them to move up or down the (difficulty) ladder in regards to learning should the need arise, as well as promoting differing social bonds early on, also when the time comes to go to big school there will always be others in the year above they know and can approach

As for work i would assume it will be the same lesson with differing levels of work sheets, in theory if you don't quite get it first time you have another crack at the whip again the following year!

I adopt the old Montessori approach in that first school should be a fun journey into learning (whilst reinforcing the basics of reading, writing and forming proper and acceptable social bonds) i think a mixed class could be beneficial and allow them to move up or down the (difficulty) ladder in regards to learning should the need arise, as well as promoting differing social bonds early on, also when the time comes to go to big school there will always be others in the year above they know and can approach

As for work i would assume it will be the same lesson with differing levels of work sheets, in theory if you don't quite get it first time you have another crack at the whip again the following year!

But then, could there be a tendency of letting the child "drop" down the ladder and no urgency/incentive of bringing them back up?( if that makes sense?)

A lot of schools around here have a one and a half-form entry - i.e. 45 or thereabouts, so every other class is split between 2 year groups. The split classes will usually have the older ones from the younger year group, and the younger ones from the older year group, so the age spread is no greater than in a single year group class, and usually less, so better for the kids.

It certainly isn't a problem.

But then, could there be a tendency of letting the child "drop" down the ladder and no urgency/incentive of bringing them back up?( if that makes sense?)

Possibly. Then in a single year entry if you are the top do you drop to the common denominator anyway?

I should imagine the teacher would be able to steer them right again, but then again as long as they get the basics and have fun does it really matter that much?

I havnt seen anything on the 'lack' of 'structured' primary education on future academic achievement, i cannot recall exactly but children in Norway don't go to school at all until they are 6 or 7 and then its only for 4 or so hours for the first year

My eldest has just gone through the different age groups in class system and she loved it, my next is in last year at primary yr 6 and she too loved it, her yr 6 class is only 16 kids so teacher has more time to concentrate on each child's specific needs. Also when they start high school they already know older kids there so settling in has proved very easy for my eldest. The primary school in question also prepares them for high school much more than is normally needed due to the small yr6 class size.

S

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone was going to say this one was better or worse and make our minds up for us! But its good to know that it doesn't seem to make a difference.

If I was looking at a primary school now for my kids now I would dig deep. Ofstead report, news letters, parent and pupil questionnaires, how long the staff had been there, talk to other parents, see what after school clubs are available and if they offer rap around care. Most of this should be a available on the school website.

My eldest has just gone through the different age groups in class system and she loved it, my next is in last year at primary yr 6 and she too loved it, her yr 6 class is only 16 kids so teacher has more time to concentrate on each child's specific needs. Also when they start high school they already know older kids there so settling in has proved very easy for my eldest. The primary school in question also prepares them for high school much more than is normally needed due to the small yr6 class size.

S

Thank you, reassuring to know.

If I was looking at a primary school now for my kids now I would dig deep. Ofstead report, news letters, parent and pupil questionnaires, how long the staff had been there, talk to other parents, see what after school clubs are available and if they offer rap around care. Most of this should be a available on the school website.

Thanks, We have already looked at Ofstead reports but not the other things.we will look into these.

Remember that an OFSTED report is just a snapshot. When choosing a school, make sure you try to visit during the school day - take in the atmosphere (ok, some of it may whiff a bit of wee!) and ask yourself whether it is the sort of place where you think your child will be happy. You know your child better than anyone and parental gut instinct is a powerful tool.

Remember that an OFSTED report is just a snapshot. When choosing a school, make sure you try to visit during the school day - take in the atmosphere (ok, some of it may whiff a bit of wee!) and ask yourself whether it is the sort of place where you think your child will be happy. You know your child better than anyone and parental gut instinct is a powerful tool.

Quite agree in most respects. What Ofsted does as well as look at the teaching quality is look at the school policies and the management of the school all of these things have to be evidenced for Ofsted to view and assess, the files are massive. Parents, staff, governors and most importantly children are also interviewed and asked some questions to gauge how good they think the school is and how it could improve.

Thanks for your input

Quite agree in most respects. What Ofsted does as well as look at the teaching quality is look at the school policies and the management of the school all of these things have to be evidenced for Ofsted to view and assess, the files are massive. Parents, staff, governors and most importantly children are also interviewed and asked some questions to gauge how good they think the school is and how it could improve.

I didn't realise they were so, in depth, i thought it was just an un- anounced inspection of the school and facilities.

As a teacher, I would say that OFSTED is not such a valid measure as they would have you believe. It is almost entirely a paper exercise and because schools have policies x, y and z on their website, it does not mean anything if they are not implemented and the staff and kids are not happy as that means that they don't do as well as they would otherwise. This is why talking to parents who already have children there and visiting during the school day is so important. You can judge the behaviour and general atmosphere for yourself when the school is not putting on its best show. Of course there are parents who are unhappy with the school and there are undoubtedly areas where it could improve so go with your own feelings.

Choosing the school that is right for your daughter is a massive responsibility and that you are taking it seriously is doing your child a big favour.

As a teacher, I would say that OFSTED is not such a valid measure as they would have you believe. It is almost entirely a paper exercise and because schools have policies x, y and z on their website, it does not mean anything if they are not implemented and the staff and kids are not happy as that means that they don't do as well as they would otherwise. This is why talking to parents who already have children there and visiting during the school day is so important. You can judge the behaviour and general atmosphere for yourself when the school is not putting on its best show. Of course there are parents who are unhappy with the school and there are undoubtedly areas where it could improve so go with your own feelings.

Choosing the school that is right for your daughter is a massive responsibility and that you are taking it seriously is doing your child a big favour.

Thank you