Driver cpc course thankfull over

bluesj

That is the wonderfull world of health and safety for you.in no way a money extracting scheme.

Not at all because the government don't get payed a percentage of each candidate fee plus another few hundred quad so the training center can keep their accreditation!

Because it has nothing to do with actually being able to drive

And that is the biggest problem with all these tickets.the people doing the training Di not have to ever have done the job.the last course I sent some excavator drivers on was carried out by two electricians that had never sat in a machine.

And that is the biggest problem with all these tickets.the people doing the training Di not have to ever have done the job.the last course I sent some excavator drivers on was carried out by two electricians that had never sat in a machine.

I agree but just for a change the chap doing this course is a driver, the center and the chap doing it where very good it was the content that was not really fit for purpose.

In as much as its one size fits all, I had to sit through 1 day plus an hour or 2 on other days about tachos and eu and aetr rules, we don't run on tacho and are on uk drivers hours rules

Sorry I thought it was to improve road safety and high standards of driving.

It is but being able to drive isn't part of it

Done mine when it first came out, one guy fell asleep in class for a couple of hrs, in another module another never spoke a word of English, and in another some geezer turned up late and went at 12 cos he was going on holiday and had to be at airport in afternoon....everyone passed! What a joke never learned a thing

Done mine when it first came out, one guy fell asleep in class for a couple of hrs, in another module another never spoke a word of English, and in another some geezer turned up late and went at 12 cos he was going on holiday and had to be at airport in afternoon....everyone passed! What a joke never learned a thing

There is no failing, turn up and you have passed.

you don't even have to do all the modules, you could do the same one five times just as long as you do 35 hours

Edited by bluesj

I know a place where the chaps got their CPC's mail order !!

And so they should because it is a complete and utter waste of time. No possible good can come to anybody from it other than the pockets of the "trainers".

The one and only requirement is to be there. Drunk, asleep and not speaking a single word of English and you would still pass.

Agreed it it a waste of time and the so called accredited instructors haven't got a clue. We had 3 different instructors, the first two were from the same training company and neither could get over the fact that the assembled students (us drivers, some with 50 years experience) pulled their training to bits.

One particular module was all about fuel economy. As part of it, the instructor said that you should always drive in the highest gear possible and that includes when going down hills, When I asked why, his reasoning was that it is cheaper to replace the brake pads/shoes thar replace a gear box. I then questioned him about "break fade" and what should we do if we ever surcomed to it, his answer was aim for a brick wall and hope for the best :no: at that point I stood up, wished him a safe journey home and walked out after less than 2 hours in the classroom.

The 3rd instructor was great, he knew that the cpc was a waste of time, but made the remaining 3 modules we needed fun and light-hearted, I would even go as far to say we all actually learned something.

It is a European directive but not all European countries have to do the course as they claimed "grandfather rights" for their existing drivers.

Edited by shoot and be safe

The only thing that we really learned was that you should not trust the digi tachos. It turns out that they are not very good at time keeping, so if you stop for a break of say 15 mins if you start up at 14 mins and 59 secs they will not register a break and the can be up to 2 mins a day out! so for a 15 min break you have to take 17 mins to be safe.

So its possible to make a £2 watch that only looses a few seconds a year but not possible to make a £1000 tacho that can be any better that a couple of minutes a day

Edited by bluesj

My advice would be to do a week of ADR training. It counts as CPC and you might find it interesting and actually learn something.

Or just find a mail order version and don't waste your time.

I did the ADR years ago for everything except explosives & radioactives, (it's expired now) but it was very interesting and it actually involved some 13 exams/tests over the 5 days (1 for each element)

I was told when I looked into a CPC by the actual instructor about the fact you didn't have to do all the course, you just had to turn up for 5 days of training.

It is just a money making scheme but for whom I don't know........

It's just another obstacle getting in the way of bringing new people into the industry,

Friend of mine is busy doing his HGV and when I asked him the cost, he said everything including medicals/licences/tests and CPC will have cost him around £3k

No wonder there is a shortage of drivers

:shaun:

Don't judge all of us who carry out CPC training and training in general by the same book! I carry out forklift and telehandler training for CPC along with pesticide, tractor driving, ploughing and machinery related courses and come from a practical background where I started at the bottom rung of the ladder on the farm and worked my way up to head tractor driver before having a change of direction due to health problems.

And so they should because it is a complete and utter waste of time. No possible good can come to anybody from it other than the pockets of the "trainers".

The one and only requirement is to be there. Drunk, asleep and not speaking a single word of English and you would still pass.

Anyone who comes on a forklift CPC with the impression they can just sit there will be in for a rude awakening with the instructors in the training groups I work for, the lap top will be closed, paperwork cleared up and the instructor leaving premises as its our name that goes on the certificate and ultimately us who gets hung out to dry if there's an accident caused by the person not paying attention. Thankfully there is only one incident like this that I'm aware of to date and the course got back on track after the drivers employer read the riot act to his staff. Sometimes on these courses its a case of the more you are willing to work with the instructor then the more you will get back, I am aware though that not all of us who teach these courses go out of our way to make it interesting though. I've sat through enough courses over the years so always try to adapt to each individual companies situation and involve the candidates with the training so hopefully everyone goes away having gained something.

I too however think that doing the same course year on year is tedious, we as a group offer at least 3 different ones beside the various forklift courses so there is no need for it.

Don't judge all of us who carry out CPC training and training in general by the same book! I carry out forklift and telehandler training for CPC along with pesticide, tractor driving, ploughing and machinery related courses and come from a practical background where I started at the bottom rung of the ladder on the farm and worked my way up to head tractor driver before having a change of direction due to health problems.

Anyone who comes on a forklift CPC with the impression they can just sit there will be in for a rude awakening with the instructors in the training groups I work for, the lap top will be closed, paperwork cleared up and the instructor leaving premises as its our name that goes on the certificate and ultimately us who gets hung out to dry if there's an accident caused by the person not paying attention. Thankfully there is only one incident like this that I'm aware of to date and the course got back on track after the drivers employer read the riot act to his staff. Sometimes on these courses its a case of the more you are willing to work with the instructor then the more you will get back, I am aware though that not all of us who teach these courses go out of our way to make it interesting though. I've sat through enough courses over the years so always try to adapt to each individual companies situation and involve the candidates with the training so hopefully everyone goes away having gained something.

I too however think that doing the same course year on year is tedious, we as a group offer at least 3 different ones beside the various forklift courses so there is no need for it.

No surprise that the only people who believe these courses have any value is those who make profit from them.

our driver cpc courses at work are run by a company from cheshire called j17 , theyre ex traffic cops and mostly pretty interesting , they have quite a few good(relevant) stories to tell , the videos that they show and information that they pass on is always good too.

im shocked that others have said that theyve got theirs through the post and that theyve slept through them , were told that if you dont turn up or youre late or disruptive ,then you wont be driving until youve re done the course. i suppose that every company is different .

speaking as a professional hgv driver that spends most of his working life on the roads , driving standards are a disgrace and are getting worse with every year that passes , anything that can help to stop this decline has got to be a good thing , the simple truth is that poor driving standards and practices costs lives , i dont think that one day out of my working year is too much of an effort if it helps keep everyone safe.

personally , id be quite happy to re take my hgv test , and or car test , every five years , id also be quite happy to see hgv drivers banned for bullying , car drivers , pedestrians , cyclists , and for texting drivers and drink drivers to be banned for life.