Gun safe in rented property

HW95J

Looking for advice here. I currently live in a rented property and have alternative storage arrangements in place for my guns. It's not very convenient however so I'd like to install a cabinet. Before I ask my letting agent for permission, I need some pretty specific advice on fixings. I only rent the property for 10 months of the year and if they let me put a safe in at all they might want it gone for the period I'm not in the property. Obviously the guns will be out either way. If this is the case, is there a bolt that enables you to remove the cabinet from the inside if necessary (leaving the bolts in the wall) then put it back again? Another requirement is of course that I can repair the holes etc easily enough when I move out permanently in a few years. Complicated situation but FEO was happy enough when we discussed the idea during interview.

Thanks in advance

Just make sure fixing method is appropriate for the wall and you fill them over and repaint if necessary before you leave.

If you ask the agent for permission they will probably say no, if you stick to the terms of your tenancy then your doing nothing wrong.

Might be different in Scotland though as your property laws are different.

That's part of the problem- it wouldn't be sticking to the tenancy as firearms and ammo (no distinction between licenced/unlicenced!) are specifically prohibited in the lease. Would need their permission to overcome that and for getting the safe in. I don't hold out much hope to be honest, I think it'll all sound a bit scary and difficult. Got to try though! Best case scenario is being able to bolt it in a leave it but as I say, anything not 'in the textbook' will probably be impossible to negotiate.

Have considered something like one of those brattonsound auto sentinel cabinets which mount to a bracket fixed to the wall.

I'm with WB, don't tell them or you'll pay even you cover up the holes.

Try installng it into an inbuilt wardobe where they wouldn't normally look for wall damages and when bolting it to the floor make sure you cut the carpet and keep it to glu it back on.

I moved my cabinet a week before i moved house (with police consent) and had all the time to fill in the holes with filler, let it dry, sand it down refill, resand and paint few times the whole inner wardrobe to the point the holes were not visible if the agent had inspected it.

I rented the place for 4 years and had yearly and surprise visit; however, since they can't look at private places like drawers and wardrobes you'll be fine; different thing if it isn't hidden away; agent will see it and you might have your tennancy terminated or wll be liable for the whole wall :lol:

It's not just the safe issue. You will also have to send certificate back and forward for addy changes, new inspections at each change of location. If you are out for two months then back again??? I did it once for a year and then six moths and back again. It's a god way to get to know the officers :-)

No access to the loft either. I think I'll just forget about it for the moment as I can still shoot, just not as handy as having them in the property. Is the firearms clause in every lease? Thought it varied from agent to agent. Wouldn't have to send the cert back for address change, as discussed with FEO could have had an arrangement where they were just stored with RFD for those months and firearms dept notified.

No access to the loft either. I think I'll just forget about it for the moment as I can still shoot, just not as handy as having them in the property. Is the firearms clause in every lease? Thought it varied from agent to agent. Wouldn't have to send the cert back for address change, as discussed with FEO could have had an arrangement where they were just stored with RFD for those months and firearms dept notified.

Everywhere I have lived it has been in the contract, places without contracts put together by some lawyer type somewhere have been scared off immediately bar one case (cottage on my current permission sadly vetoed by the other half) where they then asked if I wanted some shooting. Didn't rent the place but do now shoot there.

Did the letting agent ask the landlord or did they just say no without asking .my daughter rents one out down here and would let

You put a case in .my next door neighbour used to have his screwed to the floor not the wall and that was passed by police .

Can you do that

Not actually raised the issue with them, it's looking too complicated and tbh I don't want to make things difficult RE dealing with the agent in future. If it was direct to a landlord it would be a bit easier. Thought I'd get advice on the forum as to the practicality before bothering and had some great responses so thanks for the advice :good:

These are standard downloadable contracts that they use. There are lots of other clauses that people don't even realise exist in the contracts because they cover every eventuality imaginable. No animals, no more than x people allowed in the flat at any one time etc.

I doubt the letting agent has even read the contract. If it was me I would just do it and say nothing.

You can have more than one storage location on your certificate, people with holiday homes do.

The other thing, and this might be a bit more difficult now, it doesn't have to be a cabinet. Lots of people just have a wall clamp in a locked cupboard. There is nothing in law that says it has to be a cabinet but the mindset is now pretty established.

Actually convincing a FEO you don't need a cabinet might be more of a challenge but for occasional storage it would be legal to just have a wall clamp.

Edited by Vince Green

Wall clamp has been considered, I actually have one from when a family member gave up shooting. Trouble is I have more than one shotgun already and you know how they multiply :whistling:

I'm shooting less at the minute because i'm busy but if it comes to next year and it's getting to be a real pain I think I'll look into putting the clamp in and at least I could pick whatever I'm using most and keep it there.