Very expensive wire cutters

spandit

Discovered I could see my target at 100 yards rather than the standard 50 by standing in the next field and shooting between the top of the stock fence and the top rail. Groups were OK with 55gr Nosler Varmaggeddon in my .223

Thought I'd ping a couple off the Hardox gong I'd hung but it was a bit lower than the targets, which are clipped to a pallet. I could see it clearly but it meant shooting through the stock fence, not a problem for an accurate rifle, I thought!

However, the first shot didn't hit the gong when the next two did. Closer inspection of the fence found this:

9BBA430A-938E-4A87-9C97-3F81EFA32B6E.jpg

Don't think I'd be able to do that again in a hurry... :D

You did say that it was an accurate rifle. I saw a shot at a rabbit out of a 222 that was a long long way off. the shot was taken off of the bonnet of a hilux. the shot made an odd sound but the rabit was taken. it was then noticed that the top strand of barbed wire had been parted. now if I hadnt have seen it I would have thought that it was imposible for a bullet to completely shear two strand twist barbed wire and travel across a field and take the rabbit. I would have thought that the bullet would have either disintegrated or veered way off target but nothing of the above happened. That section of the top wire had to be replaced and tensioned back up

was out with njc off here a few years back, out with his 223 browning. all the padocks are 100 meters sqr so makes life very easy at night, or so you would have thought. saw a fox on the next field the one night. up on the sticks, pulled the trigger and the fox was not happy on the out come so needed a second shot, followed by a third, only to watch a fox limping off. in the end it was shot at about 150 whilst on the run.

not understanding what happend we went back to the first shot sight. looking along the stock fence we could see 3 wires broken. he had only hit it 3 times in a row, then got lucky on the longer shot. new we do not shoot foxes on the other side of stock fences as he has done it at least 3 other times since

was out with njc off here a few years back, out with his 223 browning. all the padocks are 100 meters sqr so makes life very easy at night, or so you would have thought. saw a fox on the next field the one night. up on the sticks, pulled the trigger and the fox was not happy on the out come so needed a second shot, followed by a third, only to watch a fox limping off. in the end it was shot at about 150 whilst on the run.

not understanding what happend we went back to the first shot sight. looking along the stock fence we could see 3 wires broken. he had only hit it 3 times in a row, then got lucky on the longer shot. new we do not shoot foxes on the other side of stock fences as he has done it at least 3 other times since

Out of the 6 times that he has hit the wire, have any of the bullets gone on to hit the target? If I hadn't have witnessed our episode where the bullet cut the two twisted strands of barbed wire and then traveled across the field to take the rabbit, I wouldn't have believed It possible.

The first 3 autos on the one did but it only slowed the fox down. Hence the running shot as a humaune dispatch. The others all never made it to the target as they where a little further away from fence

I wonder if the bullet didn't have enough grunt or whether they got deviated and missed the target. I'd like to do some testing as to bullet velocity after it had gone through a sleeper but fear damage to the chrono by flying splinters of wood. Perhaps a roofing sheet in front of the chrono would protect the chrono and just shoot over the top

Maybe its me being a little over safety conscious but anybody see any safety issues with shooting through fences etc, Those that have done their DSC1 will have come across the deer target with a strand of fence wire in front of it, and the correct answer is to shoot or not ? If you answer not to shoot then does anyone know why ?

Maybe its me being a little over safety conscious but anybody see any safety issues with shooting through fences etc, Those that have done their DSC1 will have come across the deer target with a strand of fence wire in front of it, and the correct answer is to shoot or not ? If you answer not to shoot then does anyone know why ?

Because a deer bullet exspand in a controlled manner and exits the body. If you hit the fence on the way you can end up with zinc in your meat.

I'm right aren't I !!?

Hey guys these shots are flukes and one offs. They have hit an odd strand of wire and been noticed. No one has advised shooting at live game through fences. NOTE: These shots are flukes and one offs. No one goes out attempting to shoot fence wire.

Edited by fortune

Because a deer bullet exspand in a controlled manner and exits the body. If you hit the fence on the way you can end up with zinc in your meat.

I'm right aren't I !!?

I knew all the brains lie on the other side of the river :lol::lol:

Hey guys these shots are flukes and one offs. They have hit an odd strand of wire and been noticed. No one has advised shooting at live game through fences. NOTE: These shots are flukes and one offs. No one goes out attempting to shoot fence wire.

Well exactly mate, these fences are pretty hard to see, now if they were put in places were you can easily find them like mostly around the edge of the fields with posts at regular intervals it would not be so bad. I'm just a safety junky, crikey I wouldn't even use a hedge as a back stop, its a wonder I ever get a shot off.

I knew all the brains lie on the other side of the river :lol::lol:

Well exactly mate, these fences are pretty hard to see, now if they were put in places were you can easily find them like mostly around the edge of the fields with posts at regular intervals it would not be so bad. I'm just a safety junky, crikey I wouldn't even use a hedge as a back stop, its a wonder I ever get a shot off.

Sort of. One of the place we control fox numbers, in the lambing fields, are split into blocks of 100x100 meters. You might have 6 blocks in one field of stock fence. Single strand wire top and all as tight as a piano wire. Big gaps between posts. But you can see the wire in the scope, just don't expect to hit it when it's 3mm wire and 6" hole all around the wire

It's fox, with very fragile bullets, no bounding bullets. In fact I don't think in the last few years that I can remember an exit hole with the 223, 243 or the 6.5. but then a very light bullet running at flat out just turns the fox into a sack of mush. We don't want exits when there are sheep and lambs about.

With deer, their heads are always about the stock fence so it's fine. Lmao. Joke

Edited by activeviii