CHIMNEY LINERS/ING

Walker570

Are you thinking Stainless steel or a cement liner.

I put a SS liner in mine and back filled with vermiculite, the other is allot more expensive but a better option,structurally a far better option. A large sausage like tube is dropped down the chimney and inflated, the void is then filled with a vermiculite cement mix. (If I remember correctly)

Thanks Dougy. Not made my mind up yet. The kitchen chimney was done with the inflated tube and has been a great success. Looked at a number of youtube vids, mostly American, of the stainless route. As you say I think it would need back filling to insulate it. Not too worried about cost but just want a good job done. Clearview wood burner at the bottom. Just trying to locate a reputable bloke/firm to do it. I have contacts for the necessary scaffolding.

The thing is now you need to have it installed by a HETAS qualified person. Funny how many multifuel/ open fires have been running without many H&S issues for umpteen years that have not been installed by a HETAS qualified person. But apparently you would have problems nowadays even if fitted correctly.

Edited by Dougy

whats with all these modern liners when we were growing up everybody had coal fires without liners so why do we need them now ?

Over the years of open fires the mortar deteriorates so lining the chimney with a flu will seal the chimney. But won't obviously repair the structure itself like a cement flu.

whats with all these modern liners when we were growing up everybody had coal fires without liners so why do we need them now ?

Wood produces less heat which equates to less updraft. The main advantage of a liner is that narrows the chimney creating a faster moving updraft. This allows the woodburner to draw more efficiently and prevents dangerous resins from distilling onto the walls of the chimney

Edited by Vince Green