What 20gauge cartridges

Guest cookoff013

Well those of us in the know will keep banging the drum and perhaps one day we'll persuade enough people to shift the market lol.

Or perhaps shiny marketing and willful ignorance will win out... It usually does.

We shall see.

(Interesting though, isn't it, that it's a peculiarly English disease, this "speed" thing.)

yeah.

if we did slow things down, chokes would become virtually obsolete. i`ve shown that a bunch of times.

As a comparison on %`s, As its a slow quiet Friday afternoon.

Comparisons of loads, for examples.

28gram for clays, move to a game load of: 30gram is 7% increase in payload and 32gram is 14%.

Or another popular cartridge at 32gram stepped upto the big 40gram loads thats 25% or over a 28gram clay load 42%

Now this is looking at a 12bore sporter for clays and game with the extreme being looked at as what we see Mr Didweed shooting and firing as well as Dave Carrie. Am sure Dave shoots a 28gram on clays but watching his videos 40gram of 3`s/4`s are regular it would appear for game and he knows his stuff and pattern tests too so he works with a 42% load increase in the same gun for his game shooting.

So then looking at 20 bore:

24gram to 30gram - 25% increase in payload

26gram to 30gram - 15 % increase in payload

28gram to 30gram - 7% increase in payload

I know of two lads shooting 32inch 20 bores using 32gram loads happily, so from your traditional 20bore load of 26gram to 32gram that 23% increase. For the 42% load increase in 20bore that Dave experiences between game and clay you be running 37grams in your 20 bore.

This is just stats though and I wouldn't want to shoot 32 gram and bigger threw my 20, I have no need and like wise I wouldn't shoot over the 34 gram in my heavier 12bore either, if for nothing else than birds requiring that sort of cartridge I cant afford to shoot and never will be and also my skill is lacking to be able to tackle such birds.

:good:

I think this subject may have been around a day or two and may run and run........just a guess. :yes: At the end of the day it's about each shooter, with various guns, at various quarry. Reminds me of the old "infinite number of monkeys with infinite time, and as Bob Newhart suggested (look him up and listen if you've never experienced his brilliant humor) eventually they will write all the great works. (anyone on the same wave length as me here?)

I have just finished the last of my factory 21gm an 24gm cartridges in the 20 bore and looking for a load probably 24gm to start loading up. I shot some 30gm an 32gm on game last season yes they kill but every time they hit i cringe talk about pillow cased but are good on high birds. But i will stick to a nice 24gm load i think

• 3 months later...

Blimey! My brain hurts

Think I sort of understand. I have noticed a possible better pattern from my 20 gauge with 24grm 6s over 30grm, which surprised me, but now if it's about pressure and deformed pellets etc then that makes sense

It does give me one more reason for missed birds: wrong cartridge. The old wrong glasses, bad night's sleep, dog put me off, are all wearing thin😁

Blimey! My brain hurts

Think I sort of understand. I have noticed a possible better pattern from my 20 gauge with 24grm 6s over 30grm, which surprised me, but now if it's about pressure and deformed pellets etc then that makes sense

It does give me one more reason for missed birds: wrong cartridge. The old wrong glasses, bad night's sleep, dog put me off, are all wearing thin?

That the lighter load gives better patterns is entirely to be expected. Sort of sums up a lot of what's been said above in one neat sentence.

If you haven't settled on a cartridge yet, try Gamebore Regal Game 24g/#6. I picked up a new 20 gauge single a couple of weekends ago, with a 0.017" constriction and bought the Gamebore shell as I'd wanted to try them (in any gauge) for a while. They were rather good. I'd usually expect about 60% performance from that kind of choke in a 20 gauge - in the end, they threw 78% (c. 184 / 237 pellets) at 40yd. That's a good, balanced cartridge in my book. Here's one of the patterns:

post-61961-0-40516000-1503312486_thumb.jpg

1,30 x 30 seems to be a staple across lots of slow burning powders :lol:

I do have it with Tecna (both lead and ITX) and 800X

I think with recent A0 might be a tad slow (380 m/s mark?) as it seems it's slowly going back to be a true slow burning, magnum powder; but overall a decent shell (unless you have 2008-2013 batches at which point i'd say is at the top end of the the powder range)

Did you proof it? I stopped loading A0 about 10 years ago when it started becoming faster by the batch but it was a powder i loved for my heavy, non magnum loads especially in harsh conditions

cheers,

Edited by Continental Shooter

1,30 x 30 seems to be a staple across lots of slow burning powders :lol:

I do have it with Tecna (both lead and ITX) and 800X

I think with recent A0 might be a tad slow (380 m/s mark?) as it seems it's slowly going back to be a true slow burning, magnum powder; but overall a decent shell (unless you have 2008-2013 batches at which point i'd say is at the top end of the the powder range)

Did you proof it? I stopped loading A0 about 10 years ago when it started becoming faster by the batch but it was a powder i loved for my heavy, non magnum loads especially in harsh conditions

cheers,

Proofed several. My original recipe was 1gram of lead and 1grain of powder higher and it just failed proof. This comes in nicely and kills so well I never feel undergunned.

so, 1,35 x 31 failed ...not surprised with older batches, even with 615 they didn't like the heavy loads ...

can you recall the speed and pressure (assume in a 70 mm case)? Just want to compare it with my older loads

Surely you wont feel undergunned ... but i always shot with a 20 bore and never felt so :yes: , especially with my own loads tailored to my gun (that said i laod anything from 25 to 35 g in lead and up to 30g in ITX) :lol:

so, 1,35 x 31 failed ...not surprised with older batches, even with 615 they didn't like the heavy loads ...

can you recall the speed and pressure (assume in a 70 mm case)? Just want to compare it with my older loads

Surely you wont feel undergunned ... but i always shot with a 20 bore and never felt so :yes: , especially with my own loads tailored to my gun (that said i laod anything from 25 to 35 g in lead and up to 30g in ITX) :lol:

No, 1.35 x 28 failed. The speed was 404m/s and the mean pressure was 854 bar. It's now a nice 395m/s and 746bar. Tested in April 2014.

I've had a huge pile of pigeons with them this week :D