Side by side barrel length

Gordon R

A mate is selling a couple of side by sides - both with 30" barrels. He asked me if the barrel length was a good or bad thing. I know a bit about over and unders, but side by sides are another planet to me.

Is there a fashionable length for game guns - akin to 30" over and unders probably being the most popular at present?

Should he be asking more or less.

I have checked the usual gun sales sites, but very few 30".

Anyone looking for a GOOD S x S, does not really worry too much about barrel length, although some 25's are not really sought after. The current S x S prices have dropped dramatically of late, with some gun shops either refusing to take them, or offering insulting prices. The best quality guns are holding their value, BUT the lesser named boxlocks are virtually being given away. (I think it is probably due to Brexit :rolleyes: )

Anything 28-30 seems to be pretty normal for *new* SxSs with 20G/28G noticeably more towards the longer end (which suggests to me that that's what the dealers think the market probably wants)... although I guess someone a little on the short side might not want a 30 if they might end up walking.

Personally, although I have a 30, I didn't buy or pay extra because of the length (it was the overall condition and balance of the gun). FWIW I recently ordered a new SxS, had a free choice of barrel length (up to 32"), and went for 29" and that was as much for visual balance as anything else (quite long stock). Didn't go super long as a large part of the appeal of a SxS is its speed of handling.

I'd say condition would be the most important factor and if they're in good nick then I might be interested too...

Anything 28-30 seems to be pretty normal for *new* SxSs with 20G/28G noticeably more towards the longer end (which suggests to me that that's what the dealers think the market probably wants)... although I guess someone a little on the short side might not want a 30 if they might end up walking.

Personally, although I have a 30, I didn't buy or pay extra because of the length (it was the overall condition and balance of the gun). FWIW I recently ordered a new SxS, had a free choice of barrel length (up to 32"), and went for 29" and that was as much for visual balance as anything else (quite long stock). Didn't go super long as a large part of the appeal of a SxS is its speed of handling.

I'd say condition would be the most important factor and if they're in good nick then I might be interested too...

Do you mind me asking which make you refer to upto 32in? This is something I have been looking at and want to ensure i have not missed an option

Thanks

The Arrieta has fired about 100 shells, since he bought it brand new approximately 8 or 9 years ago. The AYA is very good condition.

Glad that 30" isn't actually a drawback. He is planning to make a trip to a couple of gunshops next week and didn't want someone telling him 30" had no market. I have been in a the odd gunshop like that - not Bamfords or Malmo, who are both excellent and fair - who told me there was little or no market for popular guns.

Going to gunshops, as he didn't fancy being messed around by tyre kickers.

My relatively recent (last 12 months) experiences of trying to trade a 25" English SxS varied between: Don't bother taking it out of the case, not interested, to a tyre kicking dealer, who tried to find something wrong, before grudgingly offering a few hundred quid, to the the original maker, saying very nice etc. etc. but no market for 25" barrels, but worth modest money if I could sell it privately.

Gordon the value should be no different to a 28" barreled gun of the same make and condition. I have had 27" a 30" and now a 28" barreled SxS. In game guns and I prefer the 28" in a SxS as they feel livlier than 30" tubes 25" can be a bit too quick to move in my hands.This is only my personal preference.

Why not get some pictures up on here for people to look at with a asking price?

Do you mind me asking which make you refer to upto 32in? This is something I have been looking at and want to ensure i have not missed an option

Apologies: just double checked and it's 31" that William Evans top out at, not 32". Didn't pay enormous attention as I wasn't that focused on going long (I'm not 100% convinced that long tubes are the way forward with SxS guns).

FWIW if I were after a high driven bird gun, I'd look at semi-pistol stocks instead of long tubes, but that's just what I've found works for me.