gun cabinet

callofduty

Expanding Rawlbolts are perfect for the job. Go for the all-metal variety - you'll find them in any good DIY centre. Make sure you drill the correct size hole to obtain a good fit, it is important that you get the cabinet tight against the wall. My FEO tried his best to pull mine off the wall during his visit, so amke sure it is secure. A couple of coach bolts through the bottom of the cabinet into the floor joists are a wise addition if possible, but watch out for cables/pipework beneath the floor.

Don't worry about having a nut/bolt assembly through the wall, the Rawlbolts will be fine. :good:

Duster

Best thing to use is the brass type expanding rawl bolt 6-8mm depending on your maisonry quality.

You may need to drill out the holes in the back of your safe to allow the bolt through.

I had some trouble as my maisonry was crumbling, i finally got a good fix using the 10mm drillsize fixing.

:good:

I used the large (16mm drill) brass rawl bolts on mine, six of them. The FEO took one look at the size of the bolt heads, smiled, and said "that aint going anywhere is it"! If someone wants my guns, they'll have to take the corner of the house. Because it's upstairs in a corner, that could result in them ending up under the rubble with the stuff they were trying to steal :good:

I used 10M metal anchar bolts drilled four16mm holes into a concret floor and two into a block built wall (cabinet is mounted horizontally) then put 40mm square metal washers on the inside of the cabinet for good measure. It's installed tight to the corner, under the stairs - not much room to attack it with a jemmy/crowbar and it's very secure. I almost put my back out, pulling on it while testing the fixings.

In my experience the FEO just looks at it...never tried to pull it off! :yes: So long as your happy that if someone breaks into your house and tries to nick your guns that they're going to have a really hard time, then your sorted. :/

In my experience the FEO just looks at it...never tried to pull it off! :yes: So long as your happy that if someone breaks into your house and tries to nick your guns that they're going to have a really hard time, then your sorted. :/

would love to see them nick mine :lol: i put it in the corner and drilled these massive studs in whilst the cab was in place .. it wasnt till after that we noticed a problem .. The window sill will stop it cuming off the wall so if i decided to move i will have to rip out the window sill to move the cab

The FLO just grabed hold of mine and checked it was secure the bolts you have are more than up to the job. A tip is to either remove the skirting board where you want to mount the cab or mount the cab above the skirting board. The house I live in is rented so I went for the latter option.

Dave

The house I live in is a timber frame house with dry walls (plaster board inside) with no brick inside just out-side ;)

What do I do. ;)

I had a similar problem - no interior brick or block walls - but I do have a basement with poured concrete floor/walls. Trouble is that the like many older houses I couldn't find a suitably level surface where the floor met the wall. I decided to lay the cabinet on its back and simply bolt it to the floor. Obviously it does take up a lot of floor space but I'm fortunate in having a plenty of space to spare.

The house I live in is a timber frame house with dry walls (plaster board inside) with no brick inside just out-side ;)

What do I do. :P

I had a similar problem - no interior brick or block walls - but I do have a basement with poured concrete floor/walls. Trouble is that the like many older houses I couldn't find a suitably level surface where the floor met the wall. I decided to lay the cabinet on its back and simply bolt it to the floor. Obviously it does take up a lot of floor space but I'm fortunate in having a plenty of space to spare.

Sadley I don't have a basement the average house in the uk is too small and cramped for that, but laying it down in my ''wardrope'' bolted to the timber floor frame.

What do I do. :D

Sadley I don't have a basement the average house in the uk is too small and cramped for that, but laying it down in my ''wardrope'' bolted to the timber floor frame.

That could pass the fo's aproval, I just might have to give him a bell and hear what he has to suggest.

The house I live in is a timber frame house with dry walls (plaster board inside) with no brick inside just out-side :blush:

What do I do. :blush:

Do you live in a house made by redrow? if it is new then you will have a steel frame with the centres every 300 - 500mm

Another alternative is to lay the cab flat on the floor drop 6 holes into the fllor (they are usually concerete sub floors and use the raw bolts, with all six in it shouldnt go anywhere.

Ask the FLO but that will be probably what he suggests as with it mounted flat it will only sit between 6 and 12'' off the ground so trying to get leverage on it will be a problem for any would be thief.

Dont try and bolt it to plasterboard as even with the spring clips when the FLO gives it a tug it will pull dirty great holes out of your walls.... and rawbolts are no good in plaster as they need somthing to 1. grip on to and 2. flatten out against.

How big is the cvity between the walls?

Hope that helps... if you need more info PM me